Sponsored

93 Tune - car feels slower.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Okay folks my son has a 2019 GT A10, only mods are Roush CAI and he is running Nitto DRs. He uploaded a 93 octane tune from one of the very well respected tuners and now swears that his car is slower, tuner says logs are good to go. I'm not sure what to tell him do about it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
newmoon

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Your not going to get much kick in the pants feeling power wise with a 93 tune on a 18+ car. Its more about torque management being loosened up and shift strategy on a auto car. Any near by track he can run it at? A pass with stock tune and a pass with this tune? Hard to say something is slower without having a baseline to measure against.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Your not going to get much kick in the pants feeling power wise with a 93 tune on a 18+ car. Its more about torque management being loosened up and shift strategy on a auto car. Any near by track he can run it at? A pass with stock tune and a pass with this tune? Hard to say something is slower without having a baseline to measure against.
While this is true, I can't imagine a situation where a properly functioning 93 tune would make the car feel legitimately slower.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
A butt dyno is a fickle thing, subject to our expectations and emotions. If he expects gains from his tune and isn't getting all he expects, maybe it "feels" slower?

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
While this is true, I can't imagine a situation where a properly functioning 93 tune would make the car feel legitimately slower.
Get a Ford performance tune and power pack... Had a 21 GT and it was incredibly lazy with it even when using quality gas. Honestly felt like it would lose to a 6 cylinder Camry. Biggest waste of money ever.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A butt dyno is a fickle thing, subject to our expectations and emotions. If he expects gains from his tune and isn't getting all he expects, maybe it "feels" slower?
Exactly. Do a draggy run or visit the 1/4 mile track, run both tunes and report back...

Sponsored

JBennett

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yeah, I've spoken to Lund, Wengerd and PBD and all have said that you really won't feel a performance difference with a 93 tune. Some shift strategy improvements, yes but that's about it. Oh and removing the top speed limiter, if that matters to you.

Nawsad123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bonez
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Purpose of the tune is to make the car more efficient in the shifts and fuel delivery. A tune isnt meant to make you go faster. If you want to go faster and have it noticeably different, go forced induction. Outside of that you wont feel a difference of 20-30 hp

NFG_Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 - Need For Green (Manual)
Okay folks my son has a 2019 GT A10, only mods are Roush CAI and he is running Nitto DRs. He uploaded a 93 octane tune from one of the very well respected tuners and now swears that his car is slower, tuner says logs are good to go. I'm not sure what to tell him do about it?
Echoing what others have chimed in with, a stock Gen 3 with a 93 tune and a Roush CAI isn't netting you any gains.

It's really optimizing shift strategy, raising the RPM and speed limiter and reducing the torque management of the A10. Big name tuners have conferred the same story for years.

Was he on all season or summer tires pre-tune? Being on the Nitto DR's may also be contributing to it feeling "slow" since I am sure it's hooking up better on the street than the latter.

A reputable CAI (i.e. PMAS fender well), Long Tubes, E85, and possibly an intake manifold depending on his goals, would really wake that car up, and make close to or a smidge over 500WHP on that 10R.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Iā€™ve been wondering about this too. I recently made two fill-ups on 93 while on my Flex tune during a 500 mile road trip and the car did feel slower. In addition, it had some pops on occasion between shifts. I havenā€™t ran the car on my dedicated 93 tune since the tuning process with Lund 3 1/2 years ago, so I donā€™t know if there would be a huge difference between the 93 tune and the Flex tune. What I can say is, whether Iā€™m running on the Flex tune or E85R tune, the car definitely feels much crisper and quicker with E85 in the tank.
Sponsored