Sponsored

700+ hp 5.2L flatplane voodoo

Seven

HPDE for me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150 Platinum Diesel FX4 / '16 Audi S3 Viper Green APR Stage 3+ / '19 GT350R / 17 Camaro SS 1LE 575whp all motor (sold) / '15 C7Z 650whp (sold)
Very curious on this thread as E85 isn't near me... And I'd like to do see if cams, thinner HGs, and ported stock TB/IM would get me in the 550-575whp ballpark (as that's where I'd like to be)

Obviously a way different IM you're using and the ported head work, but I'm assuming that if your output is way higher than my goals... I can probably get close to my goals
Sponsored

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Very curious on this thread as E85 isn't near me... And I'd like to do see if cams, thinner HGs, and ported stock TB/IM would get me in the 550-575whp ballpark (as that's where I'd like to be)

Obviously a way different IM you're using and the ported head work, but I'm assuming that if your output is way higher than my goals... I can probably get close to my goals
E85 is going to be the absolute key to making big power on these cars N/A. These are already 12:1 from the factory so increasing compression even further with a thinner gasket on pump gas probably is not a good idea unless you know for certain that the 93 octane you are getting is really sweet and the timing on your tune is set appropriately.

Ported stock TB's have shown to be problematic with some tuners and the gain on a lightly modified car is going to be exceptionally small given the cost and potential headache. What it might be worth on what I'm doing might be a different story. I'll wait to see how things go with the stock TB on this before taking that jump.

Porting a stock intake manifold is a waste of time. Again, another extremely meager gain for the money vs. just going and buying a Cobra Jet, Plazmaman, or FED intake manifold.

I've seen one guy who made like 550-ish RWHP on a DynoDynamics dyno with cat-delete pipes, ported CobraJet intake manifold, and monoblade TB. But that was on E85.

93 octane simply doesn't allow you the room to run the timing necessary to make the kind of power you want to make.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Some tuners won't even touch a ported TB. Even with additional flow mods. The stock throttle body is very well done. Size doesn't ALWAYS matter.

Trollololol

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
E85 is going to be the absolute key to making big power on these cars N/A. These are already 12:1 from the factory so increasing compression even further with a thinner gasket on pump gas probably is not a good idea unless you know for certain that the 93 octane you are getting is really sweet and the timing on your tune is set appropriately.

Ported stock TB's have shown to be problematic with some tuners and the gain on a lightly modified car is going to be exceptionally small given the cost and potential headache. What it might be worth on what I'm doing might be a different story. I'll wait to see how things go with the stock TB on this before taking that jump.

Porting a stock intake manifold is a waste of time. Again, another extremely meager gain for the money vs. just going and buying a Cobra Jet, Plazmaman, or FED intake manifold.

I've seen one guy who made like 550-ish RWHP on a DynoDynamics dyno with cat-delete pipes, ported CobraJet intake manifold, and monoblade TB. But that was on E85.

93 octane simply doesn't allow you the room to run the timing necessary to make the kind of power you want to make.
Which is probably about 530RWHP on 93 - 94. About right where it should be. @honeybadger , didn't you pop over 540RWHP with ported heads, long tubes, JLT intake, and E85? But you backed it off for durability, yes?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

I think the low end of that MIGHT be doable with the cams. But like Nate said, I'd drop the thinner headgasket and ported TB/IM. Stock setup isn't lacking there. Also, you'll need to go catless.

Which is probably about 530RWHP on 93 - 94. About right where it should be. @honeybadger , didn't you pop over 540RWHP with ported heads, long tubes, JLT intake, and E85? But you backed it off for durability, yes?
Correct. He might make it with the cams, but I wouldn't increase compression or push the timing unless running better fuel. I'm drawing a blank on my setup, but I think my timing was at 28 with the ability to push to 32 using VCT. She's tuned very rich as well.

Sponsored

Seven

HPDE for me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150 Platinum Diesel FX4 / '16 Audi S3 Viper Green APR Stage 3+ / '19 GT350R / 17 Camaro SS 1LE 575whp all motor (sold) / '15 C7Z 650whp (sold)
All useful info - appreciated folks :)

Seven

HPDE for me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have some more time to reply now...

Sounds like I'll upgrade the IM to something else instead of porting it (I didn't have knowledge of what else was out there besides stock and the one Cobra posted for his build in this thread).

Sounds like I can save cash on the TB then too.

Setup will probably be Cams, catless headers, some aftermarket IM (research to do here).

I'm still on the fence on adding compression. I had a previous '17 Camaro with the LT1 that had a 12.35:1 compression ratio that made 575whp on E85 but also had a 93 tune that ran fine, but obviously made less power (about 30whp less). A thinner set of HGs should only up compression .25 or so I'd think - depending on what sizes are available (which I'd need to look into).

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Have some more time to reply now...

Sounds like I'll upgrade the IM to something else instead of porting it (I didn't have knowledge of what else was out there besides stock and the one Cobra posted for his build in this thread).

Sounds like I can save cash on the TB then too.

Setup will probably be Cams, catless headers, some aftermarket IM (research to do here).

I'm still on the fence on adding compression. I had a previous '17 Camaro with the LT1 that had a 12.35:1 compression ratio that made 575whp on E85 but also had a 93 tune that ran fine, but obviously made less power (about 30whp less). A thinner set of HGs should only up compression .25 or so I'd think - depending on what sizes are available (which I'd need to look into).
https://www.cometic.com/applications/automotive/ford/dohc-modular-v8/52l-voodoo--315ci52l-v8

.040" is stock thickness.

It appears Cometic has come out with several other options here in the past few months because when I bought mine, the only 2 options that were available were either .040" or .030"

Seven

HPDE for me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd probably do the .036 then... Just a bit, likely safe on 93 with a proper dyno tune.
I think if I had E85 near me then .030 would be the jam.
Sadly E85 is roughly 40-45 mins north of me and I don't want to be driving up there just to fill up the car (or even have cans in my truck to fill up) - not worth it.

Seven

HPDE for me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also - recommendations on intake manifolds?
I can't find any info on making the Cobra Jet work (seems like it's for 5.0s only? does it still bolt on? modifications required?)
FED I assume is only making Cobra Commander's one off one? Isn't on their website.
Plazmaman is $4250 (AUD, but that still an ass-ton of money in USB - $3k approx) - So I'm out on that.

Might be cheaper to put a P1SC on it at this point haha. I do have a 2019 with the updated bottom end... jk. I prefer all motor :)

Sponsored

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Also - recommendations on intake manifolds?
I can't find any info on making the Cobra Jet work (seems like it's for 5.0s only? does it still bolt on? modifications required?)
FED I assume is only making Cobra Commander's one off one? Isn't on their website.
Plazmaman is $4250 (AUD, but that still an ass-ton of money in USB - $3k approx) - So I'm out on that.

Might be cheaper to put a P1SC on it at this point haha. I do have a 2019 with the updated bottom end... jk. I prefer all motor :)
Cobra Jet will bolt directly on, but you will also have to buy a specific TB for it. Either a twin-bore or elliptical TB and also the Ford Racing Cobra Jet CAI to make it work. It may or may not fit under the stock hood so you'll probably have to lower the motor down to have enough clearance.

FED intake will clear a stock hood. Just tested that today. You have to call them for more information and pricing.

I'm assuming a Plazmaman will also fit under a stock hood. Plazmaman is less money than the FED intake so if $3k is out of your consideration in regards to price, the FED intake will be as well.

Doing a full N/A build definitely will be expensive and will not give you the same benefits of just throwing a forced induction source onto the car, but doing that also has it's own set of problems and limitations before you start having to throw more money at it.

I'm doing this to see what the car is potentially capable of N/A before I end up going forced induction with TT's. It just means I'm not going to have to hit the car as hard as people doing it with a stock motor. In theory, I should be able to make as much, or more, power with less boost/timing.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

Exactly why I'm running a Livernois E85/93/91 tune. Btw, Livernois is re-calibrating my tune to shut off the back O2 sensors on the cat delete pipes. That will cure the CEL issue. The pipes are "Da Bomb !" :clap:

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
coffee1.gif
1601629463320.png

Seven

HPDE for me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)