Captain Greg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Aston Martin N430 .Mustang GT .Mercedes Benz AMG,
Vehicle Showcase
In my previous questions I asked about cat removal, the debate was divided with it having value and some saying no value .

So I decided to do a dyno run …my car is stock 50 with open rear boxes, boy was i disappointed….it pushed no where near what Ford claim 435 Hp😕
So the car with cats installed delivered a modest 280kw (375Hp)

So out came the cats, back on the dyno …instant improvement with not much more noise 😁…however it went to 289kw ….then a tune where they played with the ignition timing and cam timing through the range.
It ended with a relatively stock 50l mustang from 280Kw to a respectable 300Kw 403Hp…still not close to the claimed Ford spin doctors who said 435Hp😡

Rear wheel torque went from 496Nm to 552Nm …that was not bad …total bill for cat, removal & tune and a number of dyno runs was around 400USD.

The guys said if we used a better fuel we would see improved performance, our fuel locally is not great 95 octane.

IMG_7216.jpeg
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
In my previous questions I asked about cat removal, the debate was divided with it having value and some saying no value .

So I decided to do a dyno run …my car is stock 50 with open rear boxes, boy was i disappointed….it pushed no where near what Ford claim 435 Hp😕

So out came the cats, back on the dyno …instant improvement with not much more noise 😁…however it went to 289kw ….then a tune where they played with the ignition timing and cam timing through the range.
It ended with a relatively stock 50l mustang from 280Kw to a respectable 300Kw 403Hp…still not close to the claimed Ford spin doctors who said 435Hp😡

Rear wheel torque went from 496Nm to 552Nm …that was not bad …total bill for cat, removal & tune and a number of dyno runs was around 400USD.

The guys said if we used a better fuel we would see improved performance, our fuel locally is not great 95 octane.

IMG_7216.jpeg
I thought pre facelift ‘euros’ were 410 (at the crank) ?

WD :like:

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ford like all manufactures rates HP at the crank. So if you are making 403 at the wheels you should be making more like 440-460 at the crank.

Put a 2018 intake manifold on it and bump up the redline to 7500 for the best bang for the buck horsepower.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

You don't understand the difference between crank and rear wheel HP. Your RWHP numbers show about a 13.8% power loss from drive-train losses compared to the crank numbers Ford marketed.

Not knowing the age and miles on your car, that's probably about where it should be.

Also, it's 5.0, not 50.

Lastly, cats aren't designed for noise reduction.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Buy a BMW if you want "stated HP" to actually end up at the wheels. All manufacturer power ratings are at the crankshaft. 403 Wheel HP is pretty good really

Sponsored

OP
OP
Captain Greg

Captain Greg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Buy a BMW if you want "stated HP" to actually end up at the wheels. All manufacturer power ratings are at the crankshaft. 403 Wheel HP is pretty good really
Thank you Sir …yes the other comments are unhelpful 🤬
I fail to see the value of crank Hp ? For me it’s what’s on the wheel after all that is where we need it ….I decided since the stang gang were divided on the issues of cats in or out I would test it
placed the results on here hoping we all gain insight
either way I’m underwhelmed…a so called masculine car that is easily out prone by a golf GTI
thanks for your feedback 🤜

OP
OP
Captain Greg

Captain Greg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You don't understand the difference between crank and rear wheel HP. Your RWHP numbers show about a 13.8% power loss from drive-train losses compared to the crank numbers Ford marketed.

Not knowing the age and miles on your car, that's probably about where it should be.

Also, it's 5.0, not 50.

Lastly, cats aren't designed for noise reduction.
Thanks sorry I get confused with 50…5.0 …. I own and shoot with a 50
I appreciate what cats were there for I was just tabeling the results with or without since I asked the question a while back and no one had numbers to substantiate if the removal had merit? Now it’s clear …

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Thank you Sir …yes the other comments are unhelpful 🤬
I fail to see the value of crank Hp ? For me it’s what’s on the wheel after all that is where we need it ….I decided since the stang gang were divided on the issues of cats in or out I would test it
placed the results on here hoping we all gain insight
either way I’m underwhelmed…a so called masculine car that is easily out prone by a golf GTI
thanks for your feedback 🤜
In stock form, the Cats are not a restriction.

VW is another one that under rates their Power figures, but I doubt that stock for stock a GTI could keep up with the GT, especially at sea level. No doubt the EA888 is a very capable power plant, but the Coyote really is one of the best engines ever made. Put a blower on it, and feel the real potential of the Coyote.

OP
OP
Captain Greg

Captain Greg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In stock form, the Cats are not a restriction.

VW is another one that under rates their Power figures, but I doubt that stock for stock a GTI could keep up with the GT, especially at sea level. No doubt the EA888 is a very capable power plant, but the Coyote really is one of the best engines ever made. Put a blower on it, and feel the real potential of the Coyote.
Considering it….here it is in my hand ….

IMG_9187.jpeg

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Do you have E85 in Cape Town?

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
My guess is you can't drive much if you are getting "out proned" (whatever that means) by a stock GTI.

Maybe start with some driving lessons, then a lesson on crank vs. wheel hp then get back to us.

And wtf is an open rear box?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
You got that right. My Z4 is rated at 382hp and dynos 403 at the wheels, 444 with a JB+ and 93 octane.

OP
OP
Captain Greg

Captain Greg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is you can't drive much if you are getting "out proned" (whatever that means) by a stock GTI.

Maybe start with some driving lessons, then a lesson on crank vs. wheel hp then get back to us.

And wtf is an open rear box?
It’s obvious you know very little about the new Golf GTI 8 ….it will kic a 5.0’s ass…in acceleration, and corners …stock for stock im saying ..maybe you lot don’t get them there?
open rear boxes you call cat back…
driving lessons he’ll no! I’ll kick your ass with one if my other cars and I don’t even know who you are but know what I have done on a track with it.

as far as crank Hp and wheel I’m no expert apologies for this I only mentioned this thread to prove to that removing the cats made an instant improvement ..since it was a divided opinion in a different thread…in future I will not share information we can simply just ask you 😉
can I suggest you take yourself in hand and give yourself a few short sharp tugs below the navel 🤜

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
It’s obvious you know very little about the new Golf GTI 8 ….it will kic a 5.0’s ass…in acceleration, and corners …stock for stock im saying ..maybe you lot don’t get them there?
open rear boxes you call cat back…
driving lessons he’ll no! I’ll kick your ass with one if my other cars and I don’t even know who you are but know what I have done on a track with it.

as far as crank Hp and wheel I’m no expert apologies for this I only mentioned this thread to prove to that removing the cats made an instant improvement ..since it was a divided opinion in a different thread…in future I will not share information we can simply just ask you 😉
can I suggest you take yourself in hand and give yourself a few short sharp tugs below the navel 🤜
Sorry man but you are making fun of yourself here and being rude to others.
A 240HP FWD car, where the weight is all on the front and transversal engine can't even remotely match the dynamics of a sports car, that is what the Mustang is.
Owning a "hot hatch" myself I admit they can be quite fun and much more forgiving than a proper car, but they are toys. Fun toys, but toys made out of engineering compromises for cost, practicality and usability from the average Joe.

For the rest of the Forum: we can argue on what sports car really mean but it's no Challenger (muscle) and for sure no small hatchback like said VW.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I thought pre facelift ‘euros’ were 410 (at the crank) ?

WD :like:
420 hp at the crank. This is what my stock GT + K&N put down on V-Power 100 torque is in NM:

image.jpeg
Sponsored