5.4 stroker coyote ?

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
I almost ordered the Kr3z block and crank yesterday, Tasca had a 10% sale (8% today). Had in in my cart till midnight lol.
The GR3Z - F has the longer head bolts? I have longer head studs already so I want to keep them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Damn , I missed that sale .
Problem is with shipping and tax (they add even if shipping out of state) it’s often cheaper to see if you can get a local dealer to price match .

Yes , the GR3Z-F also used the longer 12 mm head studs .

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
Damn , I missed that sale .
Problem is with shipping and tax (they add even if shipping out of state) it’s often cheaper to see if you can get a local dealer to price match .

Yes , the GR3Z-F also used the longer 12 mm head studs .
No tax to me but ANWB does.
Thank you, you saved me a few hundred bucks. Parts.Ford.com always shows that block discontinued.

Last edited:

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
It looks like there is extra bracing that is "raised" at the top and bottom of the valley on the Predator block that is not present on the Gen 2 block.

However, that bracing also appears to be present on the 5.0 Gen 3 coyote block?? Have a look here.. some great pics.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1709-inside-look-at-the-new-2018-coyote-block
They are exactly the same, I originally thought he was asking about the deck (where cylinder head bolts to).

Sponsored

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
Eh, that’s not how it works. The point of the shorter rod is to make more room for the ring pack on the piston. If you use the same piston it defeats the purpose of the shorter rod.
I'm not referring to a long rod piston on a shorter rod. Let's use the 3.90" stroke you mentioned earlier. Combine that with a 5.85" rod and your piston pin will be 0.2025" further down the bore at BDC compared to the stock 3.661" stroke and rod of the Voodoo.

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
It looks like there is extra bracing that is "raised" at the top and bottom of the valley on the Predator block that is not present on the Gen 2 block.

However, that bracing also appears to be present on the 5.0 Gen 3 coyote block?? Have a look here.. some great pics.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1709-inside-look-at-the-new-2018-coyote-block

I may confusing with my pics .
The picture below shows the Gen 2(voodoos/5.2)block below the Gen 1(voodoo/5.2)

It looks to me as well the Gen 2/3(voodoo/5.2) and Gen 3 coyote all have that extra bracing .
767AE329-D041-43B4-A3FF-8E58951F07E1.png

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are exactly the same, I originally thought he was asking about the deck (where cylinder head bolts to).
shoot ... I see it now .
Do you think that difference could lead to a potential issue bolting Gen 3 coyote heads on to the predator /Gen 2/3 voodoo block ?.

Sponsored
OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Extra like .

If it did I would have to go back to the drawing board and rearrange my plans .

I would still be able to use the block /Manley H rods/voodoo pistons I already have with the builder but would have change to a FP build now ( I had planned for later) for the GT 350(have an extra FP crank ).... but then I would still need a Gen 3 coyote block /pistons/rods for my 18 .

Why does the Coyote block have all the extra open passages ?

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
Probably to save money. Or "How do we charge 3x as much for a Predator block if they look exactly the same?"

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably to save money. Or "How do we charge 3x as much for a Predator block if they look exactly the same?"
LOL. I have suspected for a while the “upgrades “ applied the predator block are already also applied to the Gen 3 Coyote .

Only real difference seems to be the displacement. .

shoot.... if I had known for sure I would probably have skipped 5.2 build and just stuck with the Gen 3 coyote block .
I did save a bit on the voodoo pistons /Manley rods so I am not far off where I would be with the building a Gen 3 coyote .... as long as I don’t get fancy and use the $1200 crank . Lol

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I'm not referring to a long rod piston on a shorter rod. Let's use the 3.90" stroke you mentioned earlier. Combine that with a 5.85" rod and your piston pin will be 0.2025" further down the bore at BDC compared to the stock 3.661" stroke and rod of the Voodoo.
That's true that the piston pin will be .2025 lower using the mentioned combo. My point was that the shorter rod doesn’t make the piston skirt protrude from the bottom of the bore any more than the long rod, assuming you have the right pistons. I was also attempting to point out that the piston speeds, friction, etc aren’t that bad on the 3.9” stroke and used the 5.4/5.8 as context. And finally, that the increased stroke doesn’t necessarily put the pin in the oil ring if you use the shorter rod.

That said, is there any confidence at all that a tuner can get the cal on one of these supercharged strokers optimized across the load and speed range? I’m lot just talking a/f and timing, but also cam timing, GDI blend, and the trans operation?

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
LOL. I have suspected for a while the “upgrades “ applied the predator block are already also applied to the Gen 3 Coyote .

Only real difference seems to be the displacement. .

shoot.... if I had known for sure I would probably have skipped 5.2 build and just stuck with the Gen 3 coyote block .
I did save a bit on the voodoo pistons /Manley rods so I am not far off where I would be with the building a Gen 3 coyote .... as long as I don’t get fancy and use the $1200 crank . Lol
What I’ve been trying to say all along lol

Paying for the “5.2” and “Shelby” or “predator” name.

The best thing that could have happened to the Shelby brand is going coyote-based.
Sponsored