Sponsored

Coyote intercooler thread

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
The 2.3 crew has a big intercooler thread, so I figured the Coyote folks should also discuss. This could be a good resource to discuss modifications/upgrades/performance of a2a/a2w setups for all forced induction types. Post up what you got!

I currently run a Procharger stg2 with a2w. The a2w setup is a 12x6x6 core, 3.5in piping, Turbosmart PowerPort BOV, 1in water lines, 7gal tank and Pierberg pump.
20230225_174844.jpg
20230225_165800.jpg
20230424_202209.jpg
20230417_174235.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'm currently running the whipple oversized HE plumbed in sequence upstream of a interchiller and a rear mounted PNR with a PB 400. 1"/16AN everywhere I could. (But admittedly, there's choke points to 12AN for the chiller and H/E).

The Interchiller sends chilled fluid to the tank, which pumps to the blower/intercooler, the exit charge goes forward through the heat exchanger, then back to the interchiller, rinse repeat.

This setup is more for continuous operation rather than superchilling the coolant for a drag setup. Creates a weird condition where it hovers right around amibent temps under steady cruising but as soon as I mash and create boost, the air stacks up and start to cool in the intercooler brick and I can watch the IAT's actually drop (quickly) under load. During idle and low load, the air goes through too quickly and doesn't dwell long enough to have a proper exchange. (either that or the increased pressure/density aids in the exchange or both).

About the only thing remarkable about the system (other than running it sequentially) is the mounting of the chiller. I was able to find a spot under the birthday cake and the sway bar with a custom bracket. Sits just above the wind/belly pan.

I had wanted to mount it behind the passenger seat for better weight location, but the chiller runs most efficient when closest to the compressor.

OP
OP
80FoxCoupe

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I'm currently running the whipple oversized HE plumbed in sequence upstream of a interchiller and a rear mounted PNR with a PB 400. 1"/16AN everywhere I could. (But admittedly, there's choke points to 12AN for the chiller and H/E).

The Interchiller sends chilled fluid to the tank, which pumps to the blower/intercooler, the exit charge goes forward through the heat exchanger, then back to the interchiller, rinse repeat.

This setup is more for continuous operation rather than superchilling the coolant for a drag setup. Creates a weird condition where it hovers right around amibent temps under steady cruising but as soon as I mash and create boost, the air stacks up and start to cool in the intercooler brick and I can watch the IAT's actually drop (quickly) under load. During idle and low load, the air goes through too quickly and doesn't dwell long enough to have a proper exchange. (either that or the increased pressure/density aids in the exchange or both).

About the only thing remarkable about the system (other than running it sequentially) is the mounting of the chiller. I was able to find a spot under the birthday cake and the sway bar with a custom bracket. Sits just above the wind/belly pan.

I had wanted to mount it behind the passenger seat for better weight location, but the chiller runs most efficient when closest to the compressor.
What is the birthday cake? Typo? I currently don't have a way to cool down my water, simply dump it and add ice. Though i have not been ina situation to actually do that. I was thinking of interchiller, but I need to do more research so I know what questions to ask.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
What is the birthday cake? Typo? I currently don't have a way to cool down my water, simply dump it and add ice. Though i have not been ina situation to actually do that. I was thinking of interchiller, but I need to do more research so I know what questions to ask.
The birthday cake is the stack of shit at the front of the vehicle (heat exchanger, condenser, radiator)

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Treadstone 1245R. Not the best, not the worst. For $550 it's a decent unit. Treadstone cores have come a long way.

tempImageDVwSb5.png

tempImageHwCpIK.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
80FoxCoupe

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Treadstone 1245R. Not the best, not the worst. For $550 it's a decent unit. Treadstone cores have come a long way.

tempImageDVwSb5.png

tempImageHwCpIK.png
Replaced the installed unit? What was the reasoning?

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform

tempImageDVwSb5.png

tempImageHwCpIK.png
Is this for a Vortech/Paxton kit?

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Replaced the installed unit? What was the reasoning?
The unit that I was using was an eBay turd with very little internal fins.

The R cores from Treadstone have a much higher fin density that do a great job of cooling the charge.

Also th 1245 is an inch thicker than the unit that came off the car.

1707852970114.png

Is this for a Vortech/Paxton kit?

Twins.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'll throw my hat into the ring, when I was sourcing parts I ended up buying Shearer Fabrications TT intercooler. It came with mounting and provisions for an HD clamp setup.

PXL_20230324_171759986.jpg
PXL_20230324_171908780.jpg
PXL_20230324_171949144.jpg
PXL_20230324_172001739.jpg

Another shop that I considered was NCCFAB, but I didn't want to fab up mounts so I relented.

My build has been on hold for a freaking valve cover. It's been over 11 months now, Ford won't supply the part so I'm going to have to pull the valve cover from my stock engine. I guess I will tear that engine down to a short block and bag the heads instead. Tired of waiting. Build moves forward next month with or without valve covers.

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
Since this thread involves intercoolers, has anyone found an external oil cooler that is compatible with the Procharger HO kit's intercooler location?

@ProChargerTECH perhaps?

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Since this thread involves intercoolers, has anyone found an external oil cooler that is compatible with the Procharger HO kit's intercooler location?

@ProChargerTECH perhaps?
doesn't the Mishimoto one work, it depth adjustable for intercoolers/HE cores. sitting up front.

Neil T.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Have any pics of your setup?

Cheatham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, Iconic Silver, Perf.Pack. 6 spd
I have a still new in the box heat exchanger from my Vmp Loki kit, I upgraded to the bigger heat exchanger because of where I live, if interested lmk.

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
I ran a Whipple oversized HE, with -16 bungs welded and -16 lines, 7 gallon water tank and EMP pump. It kept IAT’s 80-90 degrees on a pass and worked well.
I’m now switching to 2500 Air to Water for the twins. Hope it works well.

IMG_0218.jpeg

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Have any pics of your setup?
I've been delinquent on this, but in truth, there's no photos I can take that are meaningful with the bottom wind screen/belly pan in place. I need to replace it so when I get it off and you can see the interchiller unit and location, I'll snap some photos. The other photos would largely be stuff you've seen, rear mounted tank and pump and the lines traveling under the car.
Sponsored