5.4 stroker coyote ?

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Shoot .
Got a link ?

I just bought an 18 long block (I thought it was quite a deal at $3k) so I could use the heads on my 5.2 short block and build up the Gen3 coyote short block to have a spare.

Not sure when I will swap out my stock long block (pending compression test ) but I have a good feeling it has a few more passes in it.
If it’s still good when I take it out I may sell the short block or may be finally build that stroker. Lol

There seems to be a consensus among the builders I have spoken to that it would be best to sleeve the block if building a stroker due to concerns the PTWA liner won’t take the additional stress .
So it’s going to cost more than I thought .
Sponsored

Last edited:

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
There seems to be a consensus among the builders I have spoken to that it would be best to sleeve the block if building a striker due to concerns the PTWA liner won’t take the additional stress .
So it’s going to cost more than I thought .
Going to a shorter rod will put more pressure on the thrust side of the cylinder which is already only lightly supported on the Gen3.
Cheap doesn't belong with fast and reliable lol.

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Going to a shorter rod will put more pressure on the thrust side of the cylinder which is already only lightly supported on the Gen3.
Cheap doesn't belong with fast and reliable lol.
Lol, I hear you .
So , would a predator block (same PTWA liner ) have the same issues as the Gen3 coyote ... or just best to sleeve a Gen3 (I am sure sleeving the predator would be the best option but my money tree is starting to complain )
Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s even cheaper here.
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-rocker-arms-jr3z6564a

I had all the parts in my basket weeks ago, including cams /covers /lifters but balked at the final price of about $2500 (not including heads or VCT ).

Check out price auto adjusted to $1300. Lol
Too late now as already bought the long block. Hope at least the heads are in good shape.
Lol

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@bauern , need some more school please . Lol

In the other thread you had mentioned the pistons need to be custom since the CH and ring package will be adjusted for the stroker ?

I used an online calculator and with 5.85 length rod /3.8 stroke crank the piston CH is 0.01 more than the standard coyote piston(per same calculator using 3.65 stroke and 5.933 rod length).

1.16 stock vs 1.17 stroker
With a 3.84 stroke it’s 0.01 less - 1.15.

Is 0.01 that significant ?
I assume if you use a typical after market piston like the Manley’s with a 1.165 CH it will work with a 3.8 stroke ?
I assume If you use the 1.165 CH pistons it will mean lower compression ratio with the 3.8 stroke and higher with the 3.84 stroke ?

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost

In the other thread you had mentioned the pistons need to be custom since the CH and ring package will be adjusted for the stroker ?

I used an online calculator and with 5.85 length rod /3.8 stroke crank the piston CH is 0.01 more than the standard coyote piston(per same calculator using 3.65 stroke and 5.933 rod length).

I assume if you use a typical after market piston like the Manley’s with a 1.165 CH it will work with a 3.8 stroke ?
I assume If you use the 1.165 CH pistons it will mean lower compression ratio with the 3.8 stroke and higher with the 3.84 stroke ?
PM'd you.

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

PM'd you.
Thank you !

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Tiago G.
Any updates on your build man ?

Sponsored

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
So glad i found this post. Some excellent information, and just in time for my current build.

I picked up a brand new FP bare Gen 2 voodoo block. Currently sitting at holbrook engines in michigan.
Currently going to do a short block build with them using stock crank, and still not sure but i would really love to top it with voodoo heads. I'm just not sure what it will take to use with the factory 17 gt pcm.

It is true that the gen 2 voodoo blocks have issues due to the larger head bolt size at around 1000hp?

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
So glad i found this post. Some excellent information, and just in time for my current build.

I picked up a brand new FP bare Gen 2 voodoo block. Currently sitting at holbrook engines in michigan.
Currently going to do a short block build with them using stock crank, and still not sure but i would really love to top it with voodoo heads. I'm just not sure what it will take to use with the factory 17 gt pcm.

It is true that the gen 2 voodoo blocks have issues due to the larger head bolt size at around 1000hp?
The 17 GT pcm will work without problems with Voodoo heads. You'll just need the Gen2 CPC cams and phasers/timing components.

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup
Have the set up with the Voodoo heads running in 2 of my cars .
The Hellion car has the non sleeved Gen 2 voodoo block . No issues with the 12 mm head studs up to 1100 whp ... so far.
My KB car has a sleeved (5.2) coyote short block with same heads and cams .... and I still have the long block BPS built me last year .That uses a non sleeved Gen 1 voodoo block and same heads and cams .
Using Boss crank with all 3 motors.

Builder is assembling a short block with the Gen 3 /5.2(predator)block but this time with the predator crank /Gen 2 voodoo pistons / H rods ....

The spare” long block for my 18 has the Gen 3 (voodoo) /5.2 block /Boss crank but Gen 3 coyote heads. Piston rod combo is voodoo /Manley

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase

huntiez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt white diamond pearl six speed pp
hey it wasn't that bad to ship me the motor and really wasn't that bad price wise cost me half to send u back the box so trust worth it if u cant find a local builder that u trust with modular motors
cause we both know it only take one mistake and your redueing someone elses work
Sponsored