Sponsored

5.0 going bad

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
If you're worried about an engine "going bad" you probably should just ride a bicycle, walk, Uber, or use public transportation to get where you want to go. Even Hondas and Toyotas have their fair share of issues.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
As others have stated, not entirely sure where you're hearing this. Even on the forum here, I can think of only like... two threads of late that had anything to do with major engine issues with the 5.0. Which is not what I'd call "often".

Further reiteratingā€”you sure you're not thinking of the flat-plane 5.2L VooDoo in the GT350s? Though I love the sound of it as much as any other, they've proven prone to much more mechanical issues than its cross-plane 5.0 Coyote brother. Particularly with oiling and major failures requiring full engine replacements.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
... I havenā€™t seen any with issues requiring complete rebuilds (other than occasional outliers).ā€¦
So, except for the occasional ones that you've seen, you haven't seen any? :wink:

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Going bad no. Maybe youā€™ve heard of the tick which frankly I think most people have but thatā€™s pretty harmless.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Every engine platform has its fair share of quirks or failures, Coyote (and VooDoo) isn't exempt.

I had started this thread a little while back querying the 2015-2017 Owner population - and so far the overall consensus is, that the Coyote is a very stout engine and many have racked up quite a few miles on their 2015-17 S550 5.0's.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2015-2017-s550-coyote-5-0-ownership-input.172517/

IMO, the "OPG" issue isn't an issue at all for many "daily" S550 5.0 owners. The problem with ANY automotive/hobbyist forum is you have a centralized group of people and when there's one "omg" thread, everyone perceives it to be the "sky is falling" and "I must do XYZ upgrade before my sky falls too". When in reality, IF a person never joined the forum of those centralized folks, they would have never even thought of or done any OPG upgrade at all - and still wind up with a perfectly running/driving vehicle.

Have OPG's failed on stock Coyotes? Yes, certainly. Is it a wide spread issue affecting ALL Coyotes? NO, it isn't.

Does the average owner need to be concerned that their S550 Coyote 5.0 has some type of inherent issue? Hell NO.

Heck, some people upgraded their stock OPG to an aftermarket brand and had the aftermarket brand fail.... LOL.

Last edited:

BIGG_RIBB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT Premium
I've put 70K miles on my 2014 GT so far that I originally bought with only 124 miles on it and have only had to do basic maintenance other than changing the battery and tires, etc. It' s my second stang and am considering getting another one soon. I've been very impressed with how well this car has done since I first got it and actually it's been the least problematic car that I've ever owned. Very happy with my 5.0!!

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Every engine platform has its fair share of quirks or failures, Coyote (and VooDoo) isn't exempt.

I had started this thread a little while back querying the 2015-2017 Owner population - and so far the overall consensus is, that the Coyote is a very stout engine and many have racked up quite a few miles on their 2015-17 S550 5.0's.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2015-2017-s550-coyote-5-0-ownership-input.172517/

IMO, the "OPG" issue isn't an issue at all for many "daily" S550 5.0 owners. The problem with ANY automotive/hobbyist forum is you have a centralized group of people and when there's one "omg" thread, everyone perceives it to be the "sky is falling" and "I must do XYZ upgrade before my sky falls too". When in reality, IF a person never joined the forum of those centralized folks, they would have never even thought of or done any OPG upgrade at all - and still wind up with a perfectly running/driving vehicle.

Have OPG's failed on stock Coyotes? Yes, certainly. Is it a wide spread issue affecting ALL Coyotes? NO, it isn't.

Does the average owner need to be concerned that their S550 Coyote 5.0 has some type of inherent issue? Hell NO.

Heck, some people upgraded their stock OPG to an aftermarket brand and had the aftermarket brand fail.... LOL.
So wait as a typical forum guy I think you're trying to tell me my OPG gears will most certainly go out? I knew it was only a matter of time before this engine let me down and now you've confirmed it! :bandit:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So wait as a typical forum guy I think you're trying to tell me my OPG gears will most certainly go out? I knew it was only a matter of time before this engine let me down and now you've confirmed it! :bandit:
That . . .

and . . .

the "ticking" is the countdown to engine ventilation, you're running on borrowed time...hurry and sell, but before you do, make a post to see if Carvana, Vroom, CarMax, KBB, Edmunds, AutoTrader, Craigslist, eBay, BaT, Mecum, Barret Jackson or your local hole in the wall Dealership will give you best trade in/sell off value... and don't ask if you should leave the mods attached or the track time slips in the car....

LMAO...

Not.

<sarcastic response, but someone will take it seriously as the sky is falling because their S550 5.0 exhibits the tick and OPGs were previously mentioned). šŸ¤Ŗ šŸ˜†

Chomperr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT ; 2016 Mustang V6 (Sold)
The Coyote is the most durable out of the big three. Whoever told you they ā€œgo badā€ needs to remove their head from their anus.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The Coyote is the most durable out of the big three. Whoever told you they ā€œgo badā€ needs to remove their head from their anus.

Or put a window in the stomach to see where they are going.
Sponsored