401A for 2015 GT Vert?

SSally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Looking to get my first convertible. Used 2015 Mustang GT. Do I want one with the Shaker Pro/12 Speaker Opt. 401A? I'm thinking with the top down either 1) I'll need the better system to hear it, or 2) the wind noise/turbulence will be so great it won't matter anyway? (Not looking to put in aftermarket system)
Sponsored

Armen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Vert
If you can find one with the Pro, I'd get it. I find the base stereo sound pretty underwhelming. I have the bass set at just about max and the midrange adjusted just so there's at least some richness to the sound.

Stereo in my F150, by comparison, is awesome. Not sure why Ford wouldn't put the premium sound system as standard equipment in their Mustang GT Premium's.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Option 1 is correct. These cars are actually pretty quiet with the top down, but you'll still want the best system you can get. While the 12 speaker system is the best they are all pretty underwhelming. There are however some easy mods that really bring this system to life.

jeffdeq

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible White Platinum
Looking to get my first convertible. Used 2015 Mustang GT. Do I want one with the Shaker Pro/12 Speaker Opt. 401A? I'm thinking with the top down either 1) I'll need the better system to hear it, or 2) the wind noise/turbulence will be so great it won't matter anyway? (Not looking to put in aftermarket system)
I have a 2017 GT Premium Convertible with the 401A interior that has the Shaker Pro with subwoofer in the trunk. I do not find this system to be “underwhelming”! However, I am 65 years old and don’t need a sound system playing at extreme decibel levels. If you incorporate a wind screen of some sort it will aid in improving the output of the speakers. You CAN hear the subwoofer in the trunk with the top down. The wind screen I use is this one. It works well at speeds below 60 mph.

http://www.tekspree.com/ford-mustang-windscreen-wind-deflector-2000-2017/

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I owned a 2013 GT Vert for six years. Even with the base stereo you could heard it find with the top down. I expect the 500's to be the same. So in my mind I wouldn't walk away from a nice car, at the right price, with the base system. That said if you find one with the Shaker Pro at the right price that will be the way to go. The Pro in our '18 S550 Vert is quite impressive for a factory unit. But realize they will be harder to find as dealers only order a small amount of their lot cars with the shaker Pro system.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck on your search.

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I do not have the 401a and can hear the stereo just fine with the top down. I very rarely drive with the windows up and the top down, so it is more noisy and the stereo can easily overpower it. Get the 401a if you want, but don't be afraid to not have it. Happy hunting! :)

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I don't have a vert but I've turned my stereo on maybe 5 times since I've had the car and that usually lasts a minute or so...lol. The exhaust is worlds better than anything my stereo can play.

If I had a vert, I doubt I'd have turned on the stereo ever.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a vert but I've turned my stereo on maybe 5 times since I've had the car and that usually lasts a minute or so...lol. The exhaust is worlds better than anything my stereo can play.

If I had a vert, I doubt I'd have turned on the stereo ever.
I took my vert out for a ride yesterday (70 degrees and sunny) and had "Ventura highway" by America playing... the music just set the stage for an amazing ride.... of course I don't have my Corsa Exhaust installed yet... so maybe that's why the stereo was on? :lol::headbang:
p.s. the 401A pkg comes with the bliss which is a nice feature on the verts with the top up....

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Top down, windows up and wind deflector up, my wife and I can carry on a conversation no problem. I have 401a and for me, sounds fine with the top down or up. I turn it up and my rearviews shake.:thumbsup:

My first Mustang, my first vert......won't be my last for either. But having the 401a now, I definitely would not own one without it.:cheers:

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
2016 GT convertible with 401A for me. I wanted the 401A for the blind spot monitoring. The upgrade radio was just an extra. I don't know if I would have opted for it if it were a stand alone option but since it was bundled with other options I really wanted, that's just how it worked out.

I have to say, I really like the Shaker Pro. I've bought other cars with factory upgrade radios and have yet to be impressed with them. This one is different. It might not be up to the best aftermarket systems available but it's pretty darned good. Like jeffdeq, I would hardly call it "underwhelming."

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
2016 GT convertible with 401A for me. I wanted the 401A for the blind spot monitoring. The upgrade radio was just an extra. I don't know if I would have opted for it if it were a stand alone option but since it was bundled with other options I really wanted, that's just how it worked out.

I have to say, I really like the Shaker Pro. I've bought other cars with factory upgrade radios and have yet to be impressed with them. This one is different. It might not be up to the best aftermarket systems available but it's pretty darned good. Like jeffdeq, I would hardly call it "underwhelming."

Yeah, I couldn't quite remember, but the 401a has some nice perks outside of the just the Shaker upgrade (I also have a '16 GT convertible with it).

Equipment Group 401A:

- Shaker™ Pro Audio System with 12 speakers and amplifier, HD Radio™
- ambient lighting
- driver’s seat and sideview mirror memory feature
- BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert

(the above is specifically from MY16 brochure)

The Shaker setup is definitely an improvement, and it's not bad for an OEM system - and in a convertible, for me, the fidelity is more than adequate. If want to really listen to music (as opposed to drive and listen to the glorious Coyote ... with maybe some background tunes), I'll do that at home with a good amp, headphones, etc.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Yeah, I couldn't quite remember, but the 401a has some nice perks outside of the just the Shaker upgrade (I also have a '16 GT convertible with it).

Equipment Group 401A:

- Shaker™ Pro Audio System with 12 speakers and amplifier, HD Radio™
- ambient lighting
- driver’s seat and sideview mirror memory feature
- BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert

(the above is specifically from MY16 brochure)

The Shaker setup is definitely an improvement, and it's not bad for an OEM system - and in a convertible, for me, the fidelity is more than adequate. If want to really listen to music (as opposed to drive and listen to the glorious Coyote ... with maybe some background tunes), I'll do that at home with a good amp, headphones, etc.
I just wish the engine was a "little" louder. Even with the top down, it's very subdued. I'll probably do a resonator delete at some point but I don't want it to be too loud. The primary thing I wanted in the 401A was the blind spott monitoring. The Shaker Pro was a welcome addition. I didn't realize the ambient lighting was part of it but it's a feature I really like on the car. The memory seating was something I was curious about but really don't need as I'm the only one who drives the car. It doesn't work quite like I thought it would as it moves the seat full aft when I shut the car down. That's not really necessary but does make it easier to get in and out of the car. Then I have to punch the button to bring the seat back forward before starting the car. I've got the manual transmission and can't fully depress the clutch with the seat all the way aft. One things for certain, I'm going to have to be very careful with the memory seating if I ever have anyone in the back seat. They'll get "very" uncomfortable as the seat comes back on them when I shut the car down! ;)

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
The memory seating was something I was curious about but really don't need as I'm the only one who drives the car. It doesn't work quite like I thought it would as it moves the seat full aft when I shut the car down. That's not really necessary but does make it easier to get in and out of the car.
It' the easy entry/exit mode that slides the seat back when you shut it off. You can turn that off and on in the settings menu and still store your seat and mirror positions with the memory seating options.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
It' the easy entry/exit mode that slides the seat back when you shut it off. You can turn that off and on in the settings menu and still store your seat and mirror positions with the memory seating options.
Oh, ok! I hadn't caught that. Thanks for the heads up, Echo4papa. I like the way it works, so I'll leave it as it is but will definitely keep that in mind if I ever do get the opportunity to put someone in the back seat. Honestly though, I can't imagine doing that to anyone bigger than a child in a child seat! :)

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
I had my 5 year old niece in the back seat and it locked her legs in place when it slid back. Luckily she thought it was hilarious. I ended up turning it off later, because I don't need it and I figured leaving it on would just wear out the mechanism/motor faster.
Sponsored