Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Actually, the side mirrors are different and the roof has a different shape so I think the flaming blue pony is on the EV Mustang!
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ The "Pony" is (and always has been) the Mustang's icon, so whatever vehicle design (4-door, EV, hybrid, all wheel drive, whatever combo) it ends up on is by default the "Mustang".

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
My impression is that the front end shot was a floated idea for a hybrid or EV Mustang(car), not the crossover SUV. Maybe I'm not following.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
Can't wait to see Chevy's 4 door Corvette! Compete with Porsche and Audi? Really? Ford, you do not know your buyers. There is room for quality 4 door sedans right now. Think again about competing with Toyota and Honda. You are making a big mistake by killing your cars, especially Fusion. It could easily be built with higher quality parts for better reliability and higher reviews. What about making a station wagon version to compete with Outback?

Oil prices are rising again. When F-150 buyers want an American built sedan, they're going to consider GM and Chrysler. Then when they need a new truck, they will consider those brands, too.

You are neglecting your loyalists, Ford. Shame on you!

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I would LOVE to buy a "mustang" 4 door manual v8 TT.

dot it ford, do it
Build the 4 door Turbo v8 Mustang, and call it a Falcon or Thunderbird. Doesn't need to be a Mustang.
I thought we are experiencing a "sedan apocalypse" right now? Would it sell? Not sure how I'd feel about an actual four door Mustang. My first thought is don't do it. Now a four door car based off the Mustang would be fine if they called it a Falcon. But again would it work?
Would rather see it as a Falcon.
I agree with these guys ^

Just don't call it a Mustang. I would be all over a V-8 RWD four door Ford.

Sponsored

mustangfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
If Ford wants to build a RWD/AWD sedan on the Mustang platform, the question is why invest in a segment they have already indicated they intend to abandon to the competition. This is a perfect example of the overarching issue, Ford is having difficulty defining strategic direction for the company. Are they in the sedan segement or not? IF Yes, then they need to fully commit, otherwise any effort (Mustang based or not) will falter. Simply making a four door sedan on the Mustang platform, styling it similarly and calling it whatever you like will not fix the issue. While the sedan market has shrunk it is not dead so Ford needs to decide their direction and fully commit to success (just like with the Mustang which dominates it's market segment). What it cannot and should not be is simply a Mustang with four doors, that would be mistake regardless of the name attached. What it should be is a carefully engineered sedan utilizing the basic Mustang platform. Done properly any sedan would not need to borrow design queues from the Mustang to be successful. Some styling elemnts like the tri-bar taillights need to be exclusive to the Mustang.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Thank you for emphasizing on the street. On back roads, I go no more than 80% of the cars track potential and at no more than 80% of my track ability. Altogether that means I leave a minimum of 36% to deal with the unexpected.

At those levels which have kept me and others alive through decades of back roads both car and motorcycle, many performance differences disappear. Which means even though I am a racer, for street and HPDE there are many factors which should be factored much higher than tenths on a road course with max skill and effort.
People who haven't driven road courses/HPDE don't realize how different 9/10 & 10/10th driving in corners and at 150mph in the straights, back down to 50-100 in some turns over & over again for 20-30 minutes at a time is compared to spirit street driving. And if you're pushing more than 7/10th on the road you're asking for trouble. B/c tracks are predictable, clean, reliable. Road conditions you never know when there might be some oil, water, ice, dust, dirt, gravel on a turn that could cause you to slip and lose complete control.

Can't wait to see Chevy's 4 door Corvette! Compete with Porsche and Audi? Really? Ford, you do not know your buyers. There is room for quality 4 door sedans right now. Think again about competing with Toyota and Honda. You are making a big mistake by killing your cars, especially Fusion.
Chevy already has a 4-door Camaro.... its the Cadallic CTS-V.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
People who haven't driven road courses/HPDE don't realize how different 9/10 & 10/10th driving in corners and at 150mph in the straights, back down to 50-100 in some turns over & over again for 20-30 minutes at a time is compared to spirit street driving. And if you're pushing more than 7/10th on the road you're asking for trouble. B/c tracks are predictable, clean, reliable. Road conditions you never know when there might be some oil, water, ice, dust, dirt, gravel on a turn that could cause you to slip and lose complete control.

Chevy already has a 4-door Camaro.... its the Cadallic CTS-V.
4-door Mustang = IHOB

Sponsored

15pgnatsum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
My impression is that the front end shot was a floated idea for a hybrid or EV Mustang(car), not the crossover SUV. Maybe I'm not following.
You are correct. Everyone seems to be confusing two separate topics: 4-door MUSTANG-INSPIRED electric SUV/Crossover and Electric/Hybrid Mustang [which is at this point probably an inevitability without a distinct time frame].

Not to mention that snippet from the commercial isn't anything beyond "what the future could hold" but for some reason lots of people seem to be taking it as 100% gospel that that is what is coming...I guess people don't understand how hype-building advertising works.

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
You are correct. Everyone seems to be confusing two separate topics: 4-door MUSTANG-INSPIRED electric SUV/Crossover and Electric/Hybrid Mustang [which is at this point probably an inevitability without a distinct time frame].

Not to mention that snippet from the commercial isn't anything beyond "what the future could hold" but for some reason lots of people seem to be taking it as 100% gospel that that is what is coming...I guess people don't understand how hype-building advertising works.
With the way internet news mediums work it's just someone behind a keyboard getting paid for clicks - you write anything for a click and it carries onwards.

15pgnatsum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
With the way internet news mediums work it's just someone behind a keyboard getting paid for clicks - you write anything for a click and it carries onwards.
No doubt. I just can't understand how Ford themselves, in maybe not the most direct way, but nonetheless, states that whatever this vehicle may be, it will not carry the "Mustang" name, but even after pointing that out, people are continuing to complain about how Ford is going to ruin the Mustang moniker by putting it on a car that they have no intention to name "Mustang".

My favorite reaction so far: "I don't care what Ford says, they better not call it the Mustang!" What?!

*eyes roll out of skull*

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
No doubt. I just can't understand how Ford themselves, in maybe not the most direct way, but nonetheless, states that whatever this vehicle may be, it will not carry the "Mustang" name, but even after pointing that out, people are continuing to complain about how Ford is going to ruin the Mustang moniker by putting it on a car that they have no intention to name "Mustang"

*eyes roll out of skull*
Absolutely. The issue with the new economy is that everyone tries to one-up the medium and ride the trend. Ford knows everyone will run with anything that says Mustang in it? Let's put some cryptic wording out and let the masses run with it! You're on-point.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
I would love to see a 4 door mustang, or have it be a Lincoln. IMO doesn't have to be called a Mustang, it can be called a Falcon, Thunderbird, Torino, Cougar, Galaxie, etc. Just don't even consider naming it a Taurus!

I can see it competing with the 6 series GC or some of the other 4 door coupes on the market. A TT V8, or even a NA V8 would be perfect, but have the 4, hybrid, and electric versions available to those who want it, and to help keep the CAFE up so we can get GOOD V8s.

In fact, I can see two versions. One from Ford called the Cougar/Galaxie/Falcon, etc, and the other from Lincoln called the Mark IX or Mark X going back to the old names. For ease of following, the Ford will be called the Falcon, and if a Lincoln will be called a Mark in my thoughts below.

• Four seats with enough room in the back for two adults instead of a 2+2. (so 4 full sized adults can sit in it)
  • Auto and Manual available
  • At least the current quality interior for the Falcon, a much nicer one for the Mark
  • 450+ hp and Torque
  • AWD available?, but must have a RWD bias. One of the reasons I did not get a Taurus SHO was due to the torque steer and FWD bias. If they can't figure that out, RWD only
  • A little bit wider would be nice, but not critical...2-4 inches at the most. Mostly for proportioning
  • Both should be sporty cruisers with the Falcon having a sporty feel, and the Lincoln having more of a Luxury feel to it. That said, the Mark should be a bit softer in the suspension, but just short of what a 6 GC MSport model might feel like (little softer to match Lincoln's style a bit better) or have adaptive suspension for both with ranges.
  • A nice audio system for the Falcon, a nice high end audio system for the Mark.
  • Should be able to be driven as a 4 season vehicle except when deep snow is on the ground. Snow tires should make it a very winter ready car.
  • Heated and Vented front seats available for both. Heated (maybe vented) rear seats on the Mark
  • If it has AWD available, Heated Steering wheel.
  • Top out at 50-55k for a fully loaded Falcon, 70-75 for a fully loaded Mark.
  • 0-60 in the 4 to 5 second range for top petrol engine.
Sponsored