Sponsored

4 Door Mustang Coming soon

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
At the risk of sounding like an asshole, I cannot help but wonder if some people just favor being willfully obtuse and then spreading their misinformation to others.

My only Team Mustang contact in Dearborn (by phone) AND a few other Ford sources (online), have confirmed Ford is not developing a 4-door Mustang sedan nor "4-door coupe".

As @cvf-jason and @15pgnatsum said, this is inaccurate, but not entirely. There is definitely a Mustang inspired EV coming, which will truly define the meaning of "crossover".

The way it looks can be described as Panamera or Audi A7 like, even if not a fully accurate description.

It is entirely up to marketing executives and the board, what nameplate this 4-5 door vehicle will wear between now and preliminary marketing.
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
At the risk of sounding like an asshole, I cannot help but wonder if some people just favor being willfully obtuse and then spreading their misinformation to others.

My only Team Mustang contact in Dearborn (by phone) AND a few other Ford sources (online), have confirmed Ford is not developing a 4-door Mustang sedan nor "4-door coupe".

As @cvf-jason and @15pgnatsum said, this is inaccurate, but not entirely. There is definitely a Mustang inspired EV coming, which will truly define the meaning of "crossover".

The way it looks can be described as Panamera or Audi A7 like, even if not a fully accurate description.

It is entirely up to marketing executives and the board, what nameplate this 4-5 door vehicle will wear between now and preliminary marketing.
No brother your not an asshole a lot of the people on here are assholes but you just figured that out.

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
No brother your not an asshole a lot of the people on here are assholes but you just figured that out.
Yeah, thanks LOL. I hate misleading info.

The "next" Mustang itself is not locked in yet, but they have a grasp on the exterior. It should be locked in next year and maybe shown to dealers in either the coming year or in 2020. 2022 is the target.

The P702 F-series and Bronco will definitely be shown next year, plus prototypes running about.

2020 Explorer U625 will be unveiled in Chicago, following U611 Aviator in January at NAIAS.

Speculation: Publicly, maybe a new Bronco (U725) concept (using production design) will be shown in a few months. Dealers will definitely see the final articles next year, as they're 2021 models.

Fact: Lastly, the next generation Ranger is a 2022 model and over 3 years out. The new 2019 Ranger is a stop-gap, set to be in production for roughly 3 years, so the Bronco will debut the second generation of body-on-frane T6 in Q3 2020.

Speculation: The US Ranger Raptor likely won't come out until 2024 at earliest. Partly because of the lack of V6, the latest Ranger Raptor is not a go for North America.

I understand that not all of you are truck guys, but just wanted to share that info.

Last edited:

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Everyone please hold hands and pray that there will be an AWD 4 Door Mustang Convertible coming soon.
LOL! I figured you would be in favor of such a thing. I agree with others, having kids a 4 door sporty sedan/coupe would be desirable, but it should not be a Mustang. Anyhow...

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

Sooooo .... if there was a design study, and some packaging issue notes were added to target desirable capabilities for a drivetrain layout in process, then its not really “in development” per say; got it. Just because the question was asked, “what would be needed to make this happen?”: doesnt mean it will happen. Fair enough.
And no discussion of the Porsche design language architecture across their platforms.
Uhhh hhuuhh.
Yet a Ford block of IP addresses generated 1734 searches containing “stinger” “vs” “panamera” in the past 240 days.
And there was never a Stinger, Panamera, and a Mustang parked together.... I guess its possible that happened off campus, but if management didnt support it that would be a mistake (recoverable though).
Maybe we could agree there are extremely sharp people at Ford looking to take the design process and product cycle to a whole new level.
4 door? Who knows...
I think the Panamera is gorgeous in execution.
The Stinger is an epic leap is design capability and I still double take when I see one.
Anyone that says Ford cant compete and make money executing Mustang design language in anything other than the current Mustang needs to fasten their seatbelt.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The "next" Mustang itself is not locked in yet, but they have a grasp on the exterior. It should be locked in next year and maybe shown to dealers in either the coming year or in 2020. 2022 is the target.
2022....as in model year or calendar year? I assume you mean MY22 as you indicated previously? :)

"Under Hackett, it was pushed back again to MY 2022 in calendar year 2021 and allegedly reworked. At this point, the car has been designed. As someone said in this thread, the first mules will be seen in the coming months during 2019"

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
There is obviously room for a 4 door coupe (not a sedan) in the market. They are probably low volume though, which is why I think it would be better under the Lincoln brand under the Mark name. This also means they don't have to worry about diluting Mustang sales as much.

I loved my 97 T-bird. I wish it made a little more HP, but for the time, it was fine. However, coupes (non sports car/pony car coupes that is) don't sell anymore. Too hard to get into and out of if you are not the driver or front seat passenger. Also, they tend to discount that some people like to be able to take 3 adult passengers out with them.

But, with a 4 door coupe, two couples can go out in one car to a restaurant for a nice dinner, then back to their house for cards, conversation, or trying out that xbox the kids left behind when they went off to college. One designated driver and a comfortable ride in a sporty car. Note, this is marketed towards 40-60 year old empty nesters with disposable income, but who still want to be a bit more responsible with their cash than buying a BMW 6 GC. It's also right at the age where people still they they are young and want a nice sporty car to drive around (my age). I think they could get easily get 7.5k to 10k sales/year with this type of vehicle. Put it in the right price range, and you might even get more.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
There is obviously room for a 4 door coupe (not a sedan) in the market. They are probably low volume though, which is why I think it would be better under the Lincoln brand under the Mark name. This also means they don't have to worry about diluting Mustang sales as much.

I loved my 97 T-bird. I wish it made a little more HP, but for the time, it was fine. However, coupes (non sports car/pony car coupes that is) don't sell anymore. Too hard to get into and out of if you are not the driver or front seat passenger. Also, they tend to discount that some people like to be able to take 3 adult passengers out with them.

But, with a 4 door coupe, two couples can go out in one car to a restaurant for a nice dinner, then back to their house for cards, conversation, or trying out that xbox the kids left behind when they went off to college. One designated driver and a comfortable ride in a sporty car. Note, this is marketed towards 40-60 year old empty nesters with disposable income, but who still want to be a bit more responsible with their cash than buying a BMW 6 GC. It's also right at the age where people still they they are young and want a nice sporty car to drive around (my age). I think they could get easily get 7.5k to 10k sales/year with this type of vehicle. Put it in the right price range, and you might even get more.

Really...

I’m a 59 year old guy. I drive a V6 Mustang as my DD and use my dad’s Buick Enclave for groups. This bizarro world utopia for a 4 door Stang with any nameplate makes no sense. I drove a Caddy CTS when I had family up from Chicago. It’s was a nice car but the Enclave is better for taking people out on the town and you can take more than 4... The CTS is a compromise for people who don’t have to comprise which makes no sense. The Ford version will move down market to those who have to settle or compromise. Fail, fail, and fail...

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
The CTS is a compromise for people who don’t have to comprise which makes no sense. The Ford version will move down market to those who have to settle or compromise. Fail, fail, and fail...
Just like a V6 mustang is a compromise for people who want a cool sports car, but can't afford the raw or long term cost of a V8? Hmmmmm....

Sponsored

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Really...

I’m a 59 year old guy. I drive a V6 Mustang as my DD and use my dad’s Buick Enclave for groups. This bizarro world utopia for a 4 door Stang with any nameplate makes no sense. I drove a Caddy CTS when I had family up from Chicago. It’s was a nice car but the Enclave is better for taking people out on the town and you can take more than 4... The CTS is a compromise for people who don’t have to comprise which makes no sense. The Ford version will move down market to those who have to settle or compromise. Fail, fail, and fail...
My 3 cars. An F10 550i as a daily driver. F350 when I want to move people or trailers, and a 340ix for my wife.

I have no use for a wannabe suv for a vehicle. You can't tow very much with it, you can't load up much inside and they are boring to drive. Those are also 4 people vehicles as well if you have the captain's chairs in the middle row. I've sat in the back row when I had no choice, but given the choice between sitting back there and taking my own car somewhere, I would rather take my own car. If you are going out for an evening, it's a 4 adult, 3 kids kind of car. If I was going to get something like that, it would be a Suburban sized vehicle, but it can't tow the loads I have without gasping while going up a small hill. My trailer is just over 6000 lbs and if I tow my boat from Delaware to Illinois for a summer trip, even the suburban won't cut it.

I am not trying to take away from Mustang sales. This is a different market, but one that could leverage the mustang chassis/drivetrains. The roofline would need to change, the vehicle would need to stretch by about 6-10 inches, maybe 1-2 inches in height, plus some styling changes to make it ties together. People here see Mustang and 4 doors mentioned in the same sentence and lose it. What I am talking about just uses the mustang chassis.

I've driven the CTS. It's a nice car, but it is also boring as heck unless you get the CTS V. Even the higher performance versions of the regular car just seem...dull

As for a Ford version...who says there has to be a Ford version? Keep it a Lincoln exclusive.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Just like a V6 mustang is a compromise for people who want a cool sports car, but can't afford the raw or long term cost of a V8? Hmmmmm....

Actually I resembled that remark. I worked it out and could buy maybe 25 V6 Mustangs at the same time with the money I have. A fleet. Which is how I got that car. Went in bought it in under 10 minutes through fleet sales and could pick it up after lunch. I have zero interest in cars but this place brought me back.

I was worse than you. I made Bluebeast look like Mother Teresa. In my day I wouldn’t just beat a guy in a street race, I would toy with him as in kiss my car’s ass or get driven off the road. One guy followed me after his “race” to Home Depot, took one of those rolling dollies they use to move sheet rock and smashed it into the side of my trusty 5.0 Mustang. Others would take a hunting knife and make a jagged scrape right down on the driver’s fender where I’d see it every time I got in the car. I was proud of those ”dueling scars” and never repaired them. I was you only way worse. And now I drive a V6 Mustang and love it. That’s your future bud... :crackup:

I tried to upgrade to a 2017 or 2018 but was talked out of it by members here. And they were right...

Last edited:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
That’s your future bud... :crackup:
Sorry, if I ever feel the need to buy a sports car with no power, I'll buy a Miata

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Sorry, if I ever feel the need to buy a sports car with no power, I'll buy a Miata

Guys I just luv this stuff! Don’t PC the testosterone out of this board. This is man’s world and keep it that way... Says the old fart that drives a V6 Mustang and realizes he likes it... :like:

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
When is soon?
Sponsored