Sponsored

350R Front Facia Removal for Tow Hook

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
So I have the ZL1Addons Ti tow hook to install. Originally I was going to go in from underneath by removing the belly pan. However it looks like I can't do that because of the front splitter. Belly pan is bolted up under it (rolls eyes)... So this leaves me with removing the front bumper cover.

Any advice from those that have done it? is it literally just 6 bolts across the top and the immediate front splitter screws on the bottom?
Sponsored

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
You can't access it by removing the belly pan and splitter?

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
You can't access it by removing the belly pan and splitter?
I couldn't determine how to take the splitter off without fear of damaging it. I removed the screws from the bottom and those at the inner fender but it was still firmly seated. If there are instructions for its removal I'd gladly review them.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
The splitter is attached with a bunch of tabs into an insert on the fascia and I found taking the entire front fascia and belly pan off to be easier. To do this means remove the front fender liners, belly pan bolts, a pair internal on the side of front bumper, and then I think there are 6 + 2 bolts underhood.

Just my $0.02. I'd rather do more work, to avoid interference fit things that I'm likely to damage.

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
The splitter is attached with a bunch of tabs into an insert on the fascia and I found taking the entire front fascia and belly pan off to be easier. To do this means remove the front fender liners, belly pan bolts, a pair internal on the side of front bumper, and then I think there are 6 + 2 bolts underhood.

Just my $0.02. I'd rather do more work, to avoid interference fit things that I'm likely to damage.
This was my exact rationale. I don't like tabs/clips. They tend to not fit back as tightly as before. SO, this will be my approach. So the belly pan does actually attach to the front splitter and would need to come off with it? it looked like when I was underneath but couldn't be sure.

Sponsored

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
This was my exact rationale. I don't like tabs/clips. They tend to not fit back as tightly as before. SO, this will be my approach. So the belly pan does actually attach to the front splitter and would need to come off with it? it looked like when I was underneath but couldn't be sure.
I think I would call it the belly pan, but maybe it's not the best term. Whatever the splitter attaches to on the rear edge with a few bolts. When I took the fascia off, it was the fascia itself with splitter, and there was a three foot plastic piece extending behind it. When you're down there, you can see a three tier mounting system with the fascia, splitter, plastic pan. It's pretty tricky to disentangle them separately.

jedirocker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
visualuniverse.org
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
So I have the ZL1Addons Ti tow hook to install. Originally I was going to go in from underneath by removing the belly pan. However it looks like I can't do that because of the front splitter. Belly pan is bolted up under it (rolls eyes)... So this leaves me with removing the front bumper cover.

Any advice from those that have done it? is it literally just 6 bolts across the top and the immediate front splitter screws on the bottom?
Instructions from ZL1 are terrible, and the video they link to is only about 70% helpful. Find instructions for other items that require removing the front facia so you can locate the well-hidden 7mm bolt that is a pain to access.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
LOL i was just reviewing this. But doesn't it look like thats for a 350 only? I don't see reference to the R other than the Title and I dont see the splitter in the pic.. I'll start with this though this week and see what happens. Its supposed to rain here all week so I wouldn't be driving it anyway.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
It's very easy to remove the front bumper on the GT, and I imagine that the GT350R is similar. I was able to get the front bumper off in about 20 minutes, which included showing my 5-year-old how to use a ratchet. The hardest part is the 7mm bolts that are hidden in the wheel well, but I was able to remove them without pulling the wheels off.

I used this video as a guide, though obviously, the GT350R splitter and belly pan might cause some differences:

JR

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'd recommend taking the splitter off. You need the front bumper on to align the hook to go through the grill opening anyways. Splitter is quite easy to get off - I've done 3 tow hooks on these cars without problems so far. Just remove all the bolts and pull forward - hard. You won't break anything.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
^ exactly. If you remove the entire bumper cover, wouldn't you have to go back and forth trying to dry fit it into the grill? If you are off by a half inch, you are kinda screwed?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
^ exactly. If you remove the entire bumper cover, wouldn't you have to go back and forth trying to dry fit it into the grill? If you are off by a half inch, you are kinda screwed?
I'd recommend taking the splitter off. You need the front bumper on to align the hook to go through the grill opening anyways. Splitter is quite easy to get off - I've done 3 tow hooks on these cars without problems so far. Just remove all the bolts and pull forward - hard. You won't break anything.
Nope the ZL1A has a bracket that installs into a fixed position. you install the bracket, put facia back on and then install the hook through the grill. Supposedly. Everyone says its straight forward. Non-R owners installed from underneath but I think I'd rather take the front off.
Sponsored