honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Nope the ZL1A has a bracket that installs into a fixed position. you install the bracket, put facia back on and then install the hook through the grill. Supposedly. Everyone says its straight forward. Non-R owners installed from underneath but I think I'd rather take the front off.
I've installed 3 of these - there is a slot in the bracket that needs to be adjusted correctly when you mount the shaft to it. Going from underneath is will allow you to adjust easily to get it right. Trust me, done 3 of them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
I've installed 3 of these - there is a slot in the bracket that needs to be adjusted correctly when you mount the shaft to it. Going from underneath is will allow you to adjust easily to get it right. Trust me, done 3 of them.
Your installed the ZL1addon? Worst case I set the facia back on the studs for alignment, right? I reallly don’t want to pry that splitter off... I really don’t want to separate the splitter.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yep. I have one on my car and I helped install one on 2 other local 350'
s. Trust me, taking the splitter of takes less than 5 mins and is super easy. I'm not sure why you'd want to remove the whole belly pan + splitter and front fascia vs. just the splitter. If you're looking to remove JUST the front fascia, you'd still have to separate the splitter. Honestly, it's not bad. Just take your time. Happy to answer any questions/help out if you need it!

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Yep. I have one on my car and I helped install one on 2 other local 350'
s. Trust me, taking the splitter of takes less than 5 mins and is super easy. I'm not sure why you'd want to remove the whole belly pan + splitter and front fascia vs. just the splitter. If you're looking to remove JUST the front fascia, you'd still have to separate the splitter. Honestly, it's not bad. Just take your time. Happy to answer any questions/help out if you need it!
Ok cool so walk me through just the splitter removal please.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Ok cool so walk me through just the splitter removal please.
Have you seen the Ford splitter install video? . If you follow their guidnace in reverse, it's pretty spot on. Everything from 0-38 seconds is not applicable. The biggest is to make sure you get all the screws out. Go for the 2 half moon clips behind the wheel liner for each side (min 1:55ish), the (4) diagonal M4 screws (min 2:19ish), the (4) M4 screws that go straight up in the same hole (min 3:07ish), the (12) M6 screws securing the splitter to the belly pan (min 3:34ish), and lastly the (1) M4 screw on the bottom of the splitter behind the grommet (hard to describe, but min 3:55ish in video).

Once that's done, you grab the back of the splitter and start to pull it towards you (hard). I like to do it by breaking the right side loose first, then the left. You'll have to pull hard, but it'll pop off. It won't break, don't worry.

Happy to walk you through any of it while you're in the garage. If you'd like, shoot me a DM and we can chat on the phone. Much easier to explain things in real time! :)

Sponsored

live2ride90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I just did this install over the weekend, patience and time but its pretty straight forward. I have an R and took the belly pan and the front splitter off. I have everything back together except the splitter since I am waiting on the splitter guards from Zl1. Good luck just take your time, that hardest part is the unplugging that sensor in the front and prying the crash support bar out to get the bracket in.

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Have you seen the Ford splitter install video? . If you follow their guidnace in reverse, it's pretty spot on. Everything from 0-38 seconds is not applicable. The biggest is to make sure you get all the screws out. Go for the 2 half moon clips behind the wheel liner for each side (min 1:55ish), the (4) diagonal M4 screws (min 2:19ish), the (4) M4 screws that go straight up in the same hole (min 3:07ish), the (12) M6 screws securing the splitter to the belly pan (min 3:34ish), and lastly the (1) M4 screw on the bottom of the splitter behind the grommet (hard to describe, but min 3:55ish in video).

Once that's done, you grab the back of the splitter and start to pull it towards you (hard). I like to do it by breaking the right side loose first, then the left. You'll have to pull hard, but it'll pop off. It won't break, don't worry.

Happy to walk you through any of it while you're in the garage. If you'd like, shoot me a DM and we can chat on the phone. Much easier to explain things in real time! :)
I just did this install over the weekend, patience and time but its pretty straight forward. I have an R and took the belly pan and the front splitter off. I have everything back together except the splitter since I am waiting on the splitter guards from Zl1. Good luck just take your time, that hardest part is the unplugging that sensor in the front and prying the crash support bar out to get the bracket in.
You’re both indeed holy men with great wisdom... I took the splitter and belly pan both off and it was just as you said. Honestly though, I still don’t really see how to get up in there and work. I could pull the brake cooler duct and it would still be ridiculously tight. I’m done for the evening and in no real hurry, but love to hear your thoughts. I was surprised to see that once the belly pan was off there was still too much crap shoved in to do much...

AND @honeybadger I’m glad I pulled the splitter because the dealer didn’t do it correctly. They had it properly seated but left out some screws and clips. The video you posted has the part numbers so I’m to order tonight. Dealers suck.

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
Instructions from ZL1 are terrible, and the video they link to is only about 70% helpful. Find instructions for other items that require removing the front facia so you can locate the well-hidden 7mm bolt that is a pain to access.
That was a huge help!

<TED>

GB17shelbyGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R
I'm not sure if you are still available for questions, I am currently trying to install a ZL1 tow hook and have ran into a few issues.
I was able to remove the front fascia with belly pan fairly easy. My question is, my tow hook male threads will definitely not fit through my honeycomb grille openings. I have a 2 piece design a black male end threaded shaftand a female threads on other end that the red hook screws in to. I also have a round threaded locking collar with Allen bolt.
I have emailed ZL1 add-ons questioning if I received the correct tow hook for my 2017 GT350R. I will try attaching pictures for reference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_20201128_193803306.jpg
IMG_20201128_193618555.jpg
IMG_20201128_180409324.jpg
IMG_20201128_180511423.jpg

Sponsored

2JZFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350
I'm not sure if you are still available for questions, I am currently trying to install a ZL1 tow hook and have ran into a few issues.
I was able to remove the front fascia with belly pan fairly easy. My question is, my tow hook male threads will definitely not fit through my honeycomb grille openings. I have a 2 piece design a black male end threaded shaftand a female threads on other end that the red hook screws in to. I also have a round threaded locking collar with Allen bolt.
I have emailed ZL1 add-ons questioning if I received the correct tow hook for my 2017 GT350R. I will try attaching pictures for reference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_20201128_180511423.jpg
Leave the lock ring off and use blue Loctite to secure it once centered. The locking ring is for the GT. I think ZL1 said they started recommending the Loctite to GT350 owners so we don't have to cut the grills.

One of those install you question yourself.. "why" lol! I waited until I had a few reasons to take the front off.

Unrelated - Is that a Kohr GT4 splitter?

GB17shelbyGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R
Leave the lock ring off and use blue Loctite to secure it once centered. The locking ring is for the GT. I think ZL1 said they started recommending the Loctite to GT350 owners so we don't have to cut the grills.

One of those install you question yourself.. "why" lol! I waited until I had a few reasons to take the front off.

Unrelated - Is that a Kohr GT4 splitter?
Yes it's a Kohr Motorsports splitter.

I removed the locking collar andu unfortunatelyI ended up having to cut my grille honeycomb to make room for the tow hook. I tried adjusting the reciever a handful of different ways and none allowed a straight alignment for the tow hook shaft. I tried cutting the least amount away, I could have cut closer but it is what it is.
I'll attach pictures of the finished project.
IMG_20201129_195106230.jpg
IMG_20201129_195156095.jpg
IMG_20201129_195023602.jpg

2JZFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350
Yes it's a Kohr Motorsports splitter.

I removed the locking collar andu unfortunatelyI ended up having to cut my grille honeycomb to make room for the tow hook. I tried adjusting the reciever a handful of different ways and none allowed a straight alignment for the tow hook shaft. I tried cutting the least amount away, I could have cut closer but it is what it is.
I'll attach pictures of the finished project.
IMG_20201129_195156095.jpg
Thanks for the confirmation, those look incredible!

It's all good, your install looks great. I've had a friend install the hook only to crack the grill on impact.. The crack resulted in the same cut you made to center it.

When I installed mine, a video I caught talked about adjustment on the bracket where it bolts to the frame. It took some effort to refit a bunch, but I got things centered there and then floated the lower rod. Took a photo of where I needed the washer and rod to land on the bracket and did one last fit. It still pulled a little, but it's close.. Next time the bumper comes off, I'll try it again.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Just an FYI gents - I don't recommend using the ZL1 Add-Ons hook to tow into a trailer if that's your intended use. They bend too easily for the weight of the car. Not enough to fail, but enough to crack the plastic grill.

They're fine for a emergency use, but don't recommend them winching your car based on my experience.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I dont want to sound stupid but why go through this ordeal (and I read every page of FP instructions) to install a tow hook? I understand the utility of it once its in but why cant one tow the car from the subframe in an emergency? Its so much work to remove everything and drill holes and it will never line up good:)
Sponsored