3 point harness

Nope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I'm going to a track event. I need to get a 3 point harness but I don't know which brands are worth it. I don't want to go crazy, but a good entry level one would be nice. I also need to know if which ones are compatible with the Mach 1 track pack record seats.

Does anyone have any recommendations or know how I can tell if the harness is compatible?
Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Couple points:

- Is it a requirement of the group you're running? (A seat belt is technically a 3-point harness, are you sure they didn't mean that?). But if so, they may have certain other requirements around mounting. Generally, the only proper way to run a harness is with a harness bar installed behind the seats where the shoulder belts can mount to. There are more janky options that use the rear seat belt buckles as mounting points, but I'd highly recommend against that setup.

- Whatever you do, only buy from a reputable source like well known racing supply shops. There are a lot of fake belts on Amazon and eBay that will absolutely endanger you should you have an accident.

- If you're wearing a harness that does not yield like a standard seatbelt, you'll need some sort of neck protection. This can get pricey but it's not something you want to skip. If you don't actually need a harness, there's the Simpson FIA Hybrid setup that is compatible with seat belts.

- As far as compatibility with 5 and 6 point harnesses, the upper holes in the seat get fed the shoulder belts (strongly preferred anchored to a harness or roll bar), the lap belts go around the seat and can be anchored to the seat bolts with a bracket and the anti-submarine straps can be fed through the break in the seat and anchored to the same brackets. There is also some 4-points out there that have "anti-submarining" measures, I'd strongly recommend only using those if going 4-point.

OP
OP
Nope

Nope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Couple points:

- Is it a requirement of the group you're running? (A seat belt is technically a 3-point harness, are you sure they didn't mean that?). But if so, they may have certain other requirements around mounting. Generally, the only proper way to run a harness is with a harness bar installed behind the seats where the shoulder belts can mount to. There are more janky options that use the rear seat belt buckles as mounting points, but I'd highly recommend against that setup.

- Whatever you do, only buy from a reputable source like well known racing supply shops. There are a lot of fake belts on Amazon and eBay that will absolutely endanger you should you have an accident.

- If you're wearing a harness that does not yield like a standard seatbelt, you'll need some sort of neck protection. This can get pricey but it's not something you want to skip. If you don't actually need a harness, there's the Simpson FIA Hybrid setup that is compatible with seat belts.

- As far as compatibility with 5 and 6 point harnesses, the upper holes in the seat get fed the shoulder belts (strongly preferred anchored to a harness or roll bar), the lap belts go around the seat and can be anchored to the seat bolts with a bracket and the anti-submarine straps can be fed through the break in the seat and anchored to the same brackets. There is also some 4-points out there that have "anti-submarining" measures, I'd strongly recommend only using those if going 4-point.
"A seat belt is technically a 3-point harness," I just got off the phone with the owner of High plains Raceway and he let me know the same thing. Thanks for the info!

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Nice! I've done LeMons at High Plains. It's a really great track.

RandomTask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2020 F350 DRW Platinum
Thanks, I wonder if these have anti-submarining.
I believe they have an ASM version. Try competition Motorsports or HMS Motorsports. They sometimes have clearance stock on Schroth.

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
I'm going to a track event. I need to get a 3 point harness but I don't know which brands are worth it. I don't want to go crazy, but a good entry level one would be nice. I also need to know if which ones are compatible with the Mach 1 track pack record seats.

Does anyone have any recommendations or know how I can tell if the harness is compatible?
Like some said, I bet they mean the normal seat belt (3 point). I have tracked in Canada and USA and the normal seat belt was okay. But I also recently got a Sparco 4 point harness but to keep mine street legal I had to keep my normal seat belt in. So I had to get a bracket made to secure my lap belts. The shoulder straps go around the roll bar. So by some seasoned race drivers, I was told that if you are going to install a 4,5 or 6 point harness, you have to put in a roll cage or roll bar. Because the harness holds you tightly in the seat and if you roll your car you cannot move your head out the way. Thus the reason for the roll bar.

Mach1man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 2001 Bullitt Mustang 2001 GT Mustang
I'm running the Schroth Quickfit Pro in my Mach 1, simple bolt/clip in with slight trimming of rear trim panel at floor. Works great with Schroth Sport XLT HANS Device. Feel very secure

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
I'm running the Schroth Quick Fit Pro and it has an ASM feature where in a crash it functions like a factory 3-pt and allows the inside shoulder to pivot around so you don't submarine.

Note: I installed it for autocross, if open tracking with a 4, 5 or 6 pt I'd have a roll bar.
Sponsored