3.7 Forced induction

Discussion in 'V6 3.7L Engine / Mods: Bolt-ons, Exhaust, Tuning' started by BE6Pony, Mar 22, 2018.

1. USMCtoARMY

USMCtoARMY Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang V6 MT
    Military
    0   0   0
    How are u running your turbo air intakes? You think of contacting MPT and see if they have any advice. They have tuned a few of these eco kits and may give u some clarity where to begin when tuning these.

2. Patrick

Patrick Active Member

First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang V6
    0   0   0
    I actually have a pretty slick idea for the intake. Making it work is a little challenging on the passenger side because there is absolutely no room, but I think i have it figured out. I'm running 2 seperate intakes, one straight to each turbo from openings meant for lights in an aftermarket grille i bought. It has LED running lights around the openings and should look pretty cool at night. The hard part is fitting a filter on the passenger side and having it be serviceable, but I think I've finally figured it out how to make it all fit. I'm calling them "Cobra Nostrils" lol.

My original plan was to use MPT. I actually have their 93prx tune and I love it, but then I decided I'd give it a try myself using HP tuners. It seems straight forward. The only thing I'm not sure about is tuning the cam phasing. I already have the sct tuner from MPT so if I can't figure it out I'll definitely go that route. This is not my car, this is just a picture of the grille. Mine has no lights in the center, it's just a plastic mesh.
    49147954_10156425256078860_6984689444133535744_n.jpg

3. USMCtoARMY

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang V6 MT
    Military
    0   0   0
    My idea was to use the foglight openings. And put in the JLT foglight deletes meant for a brake cooling kit. The other way was to use brackets like Cody did on his build where you have your setup but using my GT grille. The guy who ran the kit i have before me only used turbo screens 399761.jpeg

4. Patrick

Patrick Active Member

First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang V6
    0   0   0
    I'm not comfortable not running a filter, and I want to be able to service the filters without removing the entire bumper every time. That's what's tricky. It's very tight on the passenger side. You have the wiper fluid bottle, the AC stuff, and the ecu with tons of wiring. Once you take the factory airbox out there is tons of space on the drivers side. I'm not sure how on Cody's build, he can get to that passenger side filter without removing the bumper cover. I also don't want to relocate the wiring loom outside of the engine bay like the supersix instructions want you to.

5. USMCtoARMY

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang V6 MT
    Military
    0   0   0
    U wouldnt have ro remove the bumper just drop the underskirt cover for the foglight idea. You can check Kody's build video that gives an idea of the brackets and the intake tubing for his version (it literally is the same as you really). Another idea is to mimic the f150 design by using one intake that Ys into two tubes that run to the turbos from the factory airbox location

6. zackmd1

zackmd1 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Zack
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang V6, 1970 Mustang 429
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    @Patrick

Just as a heads up, MPT seems unwilling to tune a EB swap kit with anything but DW 65 injectors and the "exact" MAP sensor from the procharger. My guess is that they have the tune built for that setup and do not want to go through the effort of re-building the base tune for different hardware.

My plan is rear mount and run wastegate pressure to start (about 5-6psi peak according to MPT). I installed my shorty headers and bought Lethal off road mid pipes (that will be modified with high flow cats). Where I have the magnaflow mufflers (axleback) is where I will mount the turbos. Working on getting the flanges cut at work soon. I have the DXF files if anyone is interested, turbo inlets and outlets.

7. Patrick

Patrick Active Member

First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang V6
    0   0   0
    As far as the injectors go, it's nearly impossible to tune without accurate calibration data, and DW is known for having accurate data. The funny thing is, the 65# injectors seem to be the only ones they don't have Ford style data sheets listed for on their website. In fact the product number isn't even listed as existing. I emailed them about it and they sent me a "pre-release" data sheet. It's funny to me that American Muscle and others have been selling these specifically for the V6 for at least a couple years but there is no official ford calibration data for them. My guess is that they're not unwilling to tune for different injectors, but that they literally can't (especially remotely) without accurate calibration data.

8. USMCtoARMY

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang V6 MT
    Military
    0   0   0
    Sounds about right given all the issues they had tuning the kit in the beginning and having Kody actually bring his car to their physical location to tune. My plan was to always use a reputable exeprienced tuner in my home area. Especially since i planned on getting the tubos ported and upgraded i.e. like the GT turbos.