Sponsored

3.7 Forced induction

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Are you sure? My super six kit didn't include one? I built a harness adapter myself by reverse engineering a photo of the procharger one.
I thought it does, unless for some reason its changed. If it wasnt then a part number of what to order should have been included. It's a 2.5 or 3 bar map sensor.
Sponsored

Last edited:

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Found it...

DSC049611309528925.jpg
I really dig this idea, but I just dont think the room will be there after the turbos are installed. I mean there is nothing.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Honestly there might be. If you tuck the tanks up next to the engine block (passenger side would be between the block and the starter) then you might be ok. I'll have to do a bit more work to confirm though. The tanks should be high enough to be above the oil level too. View attachment 335538

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
The other option could be to run a completely separate oil loop for the turbos. That would provide a few benefits but would add complexity...

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
The other option could be to run a completely separate oil loop for the turbos. That would provide a few benefits but would add complexity...
Your continual push to go in your direction, find a new approach, and innovate is ways refreshing Zack. Part of the reason I liked this forum so much. We V6ers are glad your back over here with us lol.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Your continual push to go in your direction, find a new approach, and innovate is ways refreshing Zack. Part of the reason I liked this forum so much. We V6ers are glad your back over here with us lol.
Haha I'll take that as a compliment!

Thinking about it more (the physics of it as it were) I wouldn't be surprised if you could plumb directly into the drain plug with no secondary tanks and be perfectly fine for daily driving. The turbos are mounted a good 6+ inches above the oil level and to be completely honest, where supersix has you drilling the return lines is likely only fractions of an inch to an inch over the true oil level. Where issues might arise would be in high g cornering.

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Haha I'll take that as a compliment!

Thinking about it more (the physics of it as it were) I wouldn't be surprised if you could plumb directly into the drain plug with no secondary tanks and be perfectly fine for daily driving. The turbos are mounted a good 6+ inches above the oil level and to be completely honest, where supersix has you drilling the return lines is likely only fractions of an inch to an inch over the true oil level. Where issues might arise would be in high g cornering.
The only explanation I have heard that makes sense to me as to why the drain has to be above the oil level is that the oil which drains out of the turbo isn't exactly liquid but more like a whipped frothy foam and that it basically floats on top of the liquid oil so you need a large surface area for it to spread out otherwise it will back up into the turbo.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)

Thing to remember here is that this looks like an older engine with a low volume pump.

Or V6 has a high volume pump so I doubt the oil level will ever go above cold level and will likely actually be lower during operation. Taking the return line and even just increasing the diameter of the line from the OEM .5" to a 1 or 1.5" line would likely be enough to ensure no oil gets backed up in the turbo while having a drain line attached to the drain plug below the oil level. That said, I would still like to fit as large of a drip tank as possible just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Now check out this diagram and note where it depicts oil level... Obviously it is just a diagram but it is taken from official CAD models. Supersix's oil returns are just barely above oil level from what I can tell. Also note just how high the manifold is from the oil level (the turbo drain is about level with the exhaust manifold location) That is a very long stretch of pipe before you get to the turbo. So as long as the oil pump is pulling more volume then the turbo can drain (pretty safe assumption) then it should be perfectly OK to use the drain plug as a turbo oil drain port. Again though, I would still add a small tank with a atmospheric vent just to make sure the seals are not getting pressurized and that if any oil did back up in the line due to a high G turn (really only high G right turns should do this) that it would go into the tank and not the turbo.

mmfp_1006_01_o%2b2011_ford_mustang_engine%2b37l_v6_engine.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Now check out this diagram and note where it depicts oil level... Obviously it is just a diagram but it is taken from official CAD models. Supersix's oil returns are just barely above oil level from what I can tell. Also note just how high the manifold is from the oil level (the turbo drain is about level with the exhaust manifold location) That is a very long stretch of pipe before you get to the turbo. So as long as the oil pump is pulling more volume then the turbo can drain (pretty safe assumption) then it should be perfectly OK to use the drain plug as a turbo oil drain port.

mmfp_1006_01_o%2b2011_ford_mustang_engine%2b37l_v6_engine.jpg
I agree with everything you said. However, during my research I have found a consensus among people I would consider experts at turbocharging that it is not a good idea to plumb the drain lines below the oil level. I could not wrap my head around why, the level in the lines should never exceed the level in the pan so what's the difference? Finally I found the only explanation that makes any sense to me, and that is that the oil "froths" effectively increasing its volume drastically causing it to back up into the turbo. Now in the video you posted the engine is not reving very high or for an extended time so I'm not sure it's a good representation of what the inside of those lines would look like after a 20 minute drive down the highway.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I agree with everything you said. However, during my research I have found a consensus among people I would consider experts at turbocharging that it is not a good idea to plumb the drain lines below the oil level. I could not wrap my head around why, the level in the lines should never exceed the level in the pan so what's the difference? Finally I found the only explanation that makes any sense to me, and that is that the oil "froths" effectively increasing its volume drastically causing it to back up into the turbo. Now in the video you posted the engine is not reving very high or for an extended time so I'm not sure it's a good representation of what the inside of those lines would look like after a 20 minute drive down the highway.
I can't really see the oil foaming that much to cause an issue. The design of the turbo would be heavily effect this along with the size/diameter of the return line. The drip tank idea would alleviate any possible issue though providing a larger volume for the oil to expand and to provide an atmospheric vent to alleviate pressure.

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I can't really see the oil foaming that much to cause an issue. The design of the turbo would be heavily effect this along with the size/diameter of the return line. The drip tank idea would alleviate any possible issue though providing a larger volume for the oil to expand and to provide an atmospheric vent to alleviate pressure.
Like I said I don't understand why, but literally every reputable source seems to be in agreement that it's not a good idea. There were many explanations given, but this is the only one that makes sense in my head. Taking this explanation at face value, to be safe in my mind the tank would need a large horizontal surface area so that the foam could not cling to the sides.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Like I said I don't understand why, but literally every reputable source seems to be in agreement that it's not a good idea. There were many explanations given, but this is the only one that makes sense in my head. Taking this explanation at face value, to be safe in my mind the tank would need a large horizontal surface area so that the foam could not cling to the sides.
Yea I would love to know why people say it is a bad idea.... I understand that it is just safer to put the drain above the oil level but I just do not see a reason why it cannot work as long as the turbo is high enough.

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Yea I would love to know why people say it is a bad idea.... I understand that it is just safer to put the drain above the oil level but I just do not see a reason why it cannot work as long as the turbo is high enough.
I can't wrap my head around it either, but I'm old enough to know that if someone has been doing something competitively for over 20 years and virtually everyone who should know agrees, than they are probably right about it.
Sponsored