3.7 Forced induction

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I can't wrap my head around it either, but I'm old enough to know that if someone has been doing something competitively for over 20 years and virtually everyone who should know agrees, than they are probably right about it.
I really do not want to remove that pan though.... :frown:
Sponsored

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I really do not want to remove that pan though.... :frown:
I did not want to tap mine. I searched a long time for an alternative. I could not find anyone reputable that said it was acceptable to do it that way. The only other option they would support was using a pump. I have since bought my wife a 2015 explorer and because of all the issues I read about their "sealed for life" ptu(transfer case) I ended up tapping for a drain plug. I more confident now.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Yea I would love to know why people say it is a bad idea.... I understand that it is just safer to put the drain above the oil level but I just do not see a reason why it cannot work as long as the turbo is high enough.
Like Patrick is saying this is important because the oil becomes foamy after it has passed through the turbos. If the sump drain joins below the oil level, the foamy/frothy oil will cause it to sit on top of the sump oil, gradually backing-up to the turbo.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
@zackmd1 ; @Patrick

Not sure if you two are interested in this type of service, but I recommend you do this in conjunction with a billet wheel upgrade to those stock ecoboost turbos. I had planned on completing this using a local shop, but only if the cost to do both was under 600 otherwise just not worth it. Doing this and you can expect to see similar gains as the drop in Borg Warner GT turbos.

https://socalporting.com/our-services/turbocharger-porting/

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
@zackmd1 ; @Patrick

Not sure if you two are interested in this type of service, but I recommend you do this in conjunction with a billet wheel upgrade to those stock ecoboost turbos. I had planned on completing this using a local shop, but only if the cost to do both was under 600 otherwise just not worth it. Doing this and you can expect to see similar gains as the drop in Borg Warner GT turbos.

https://socalporting.com/our-services/turbocharger-porting/
The price is not bad for the porting. Has this company completed ecoboost ports before/ have others done this before? Also, what billet wheel upgrade are you refering to?

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
The price is not bad for the porting. Has this company completed ecoboost ports before/ have others done this before? Also, what billet wheel upgrade are you refering to?
CRP is the company that really does this for ecoboost applications and they charge 2 grand, but that includes porting, a full rebuild, and use of their billet wheel upgrades ($600).

I am not suggesting this SoCal company or any of their services. I have no experience with them, but I was surprised at the modest pricing offered for the service which is very competitive to what a local speed shop that specializes in turbos would offer.

Billet wheels are subjective really. They dont "add" HP/TQ but get one with the right wheel design and you will get a turbo that will hold boost for a few hundred RPMs over stock and help with peak boost efficiency which is nice on these small turbos.

Last edited:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
The CRP rebuild kit with the upgraded billet wheels have been tempting me for some time.... I might end up going that route before I install the turbos due to the potential of holding boost for longer in the RPM range. I just want to find more reviews of the company and product.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
The CRP rebuild kit with the upgraded billet wheels have been tempting me for some time.... I might end up going that route before I install the turbos due to the potential of holding boost for longer in the RPM range. I just want to find more reviews of the company and product.
Read on them in the f150ecoboost forums. They seem well respected in the community

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Read on them in the f150ecoboost forums. They seem well respected in the community
I have been for the past 2 hrs.... Haha!

They do seem to be respected and at least a few are confirming that the billet wheels do what they say. Might be in the cards for sure.

I would end up getting their full rebuild kit with balanced shaft assemblies. About $600 from eBay. Not bad.... Essentially $200 for the rebuild kit and $400 for the billet wheels.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
I have been for the past 2 hrs.... Haha!

They do seem to be respected and at least a few are confirming that the billet wheels do what they say. Might be in the cards for sure.

I would end up getting their full rebuild kit with balanced shaft assemblies. About $600 from eBay. Not bad.... Essentially $200 for the rebuild kit and $400 for the billet wheels.
Lol that's funny.

They are really pricey compared to other brands though. Their selling point is they are a full front, rear wheel, and shaft fully balanced.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Lol that's funny.

They are really pricey compared to other brands though. Their selling point is they are a full front, rear wheel, and shaft fully balanced.
That's a huge plus to me though since having a balanced assembly would be quite important for a long lasting turbo.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
So do you guys think 2.5" down pipes would be much of a restriction over 3" downpipes? 2.5" would be easy to fabricate with the lethal performance pipes while the 3" pipes would be much more of a challenge...

Ordering all of the parts I need from Ford soon. That would include the turbo oil and coolant lines, gaskets, and replacement pan.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I know the cats themselves are the same, so would you be able to use Mak Cat deletes? I'm assuming not because they have to be welded to a GT header on one side but maybe that means it could work.

You're really wasting no time getting into it!

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I know the cats themselves are the same, so would you be able to use Mak Cat deletes? I'm assuming not because they have to be welded to a GT header on one side but maybe that means it could work.

You're really wasting no time getting into it!

Well the Ford stuff is easy to get and needed to re-create the supersix kit! So far I am looking at about half the cost to re-create the kit.

The MAK cat deletes could be modified to work but are expensive at $350+.... At that point I would just buy 3 inch pre bent pipes and weld them together myself for much less.

My plan of attack is to fabricate as much as possible over the course of a few weekends so that when I actually am ready to install and get it tuned, it would be a bolt on kit. Since this is my daily, I can't really have it down for too long.

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I got a good deal on my turbos, so I dropped some $$ on upgrades. I have installed the CR kit. They didn't come with manifolds, I purchased spd performance ported manifolds and exhaust adapters. I also swapped to turbosmart wastegates, and bypass, yes I'm going to run bypass instead of BOV because I have a manual and I don't want lag every time I shift, and I kinda want this car to be a sleeper.
Sponsored