RedTetsu13

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
In Japan you probably wouldn't find a performance V8 second hand too easily. Here they are everywhere.

I guess it depends on how patient you are and how important getting the exact options you want is to you. I bought a few different used Mustangs and always had good luck.

If you were really worried about problems, that would be a reason to go for CPO. That could be hard to find, but another option is just a used one that still has some of the original warranty left. I bought my 2017 GT used earlier this year and I love it. My FiST was CPO when I bought it(although it only had 500 miles, so not much usage on it). You definitely want to look really carefully at any used vehicle before buying, though.
When I bring up Japan I was referring to the Godsend I6 of the 90's and the rotary engines of the RX-7's and 8's. Unforunately going off of my previous lucky streaks I never get lucky with these types of things so I just automatically assume the worst. I know and saw a few CPO Mustang's in my area but half were at Shady dealers while the reputable dealers only had Shelby GT350. I would gladly take on the GT350 if I had been driving manual for a while and had money saved up to handle the maintenance and expenses but I don't. As for a regular GT or used GT PP1 it has been pretty barren (in part due to gas prices being low) and my other pure mandate is that the car has to be manual (which is even harder to find in general nowadays).
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
When I bring up Japan I was referring to the Godsend I6 of the 90's and the rotary engines of the RX-7's and 8's. Unforunately going off of my previous lucky streaks I never get lucky with these types of things so I just automatically assume the worst. I know and saw a few CPO Mustang's in my area but half were at Shady dealers while the reputable dealers only had Shelby GT350. I would gladly take on the GT350 if I had been driving manual for a while and had money saved up to handle the maintenance and expenses but I don't. As for a regular GT or used GT PP1 it has been pretty barren (in part due to gas prices being low) and my other pure mandate is that the car has to be manual (which is even harder to find in general nowadays).
Yeah those rotary engines really have a bad reputation for breaking. Very poor reliability. I've never had very good luck with Japanese cars. Fords seem a lot better to me.

Godsend? Never heard of that.

On edit: CPO at a shady dealer - the CPO would negate the concern about the dealer being shady, right? You don't have to go back to the dealer you bought the car from if you need a repair.

OP
OP
RedTetsu13

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
Yeah those rotary engines really have a bad reputation for breaking. Very poor reliability. I've never had very good luck with Japanese cars. Fords seem a lot better to me.

On edit: CPO at a shady dealer - the CPO would negate the concern about the dealer being shady, right? You don't have to go back to the dealer you bought the car from if you need a repair.
On the note of CPO at Shady Dealer. You can still run into instances where both Dealership and Salesperson are unwilling to bend to a reasonable price (The dealership I used to work at used to do this a lot with both used cars and CPO in general, prices were far higher than they should've been and I found families just settling due to this.) Sure CPO's may negate a lemon car but doesn't solve all issues. I'm willing to accept the depreciation in part due to my motivation to keep this car basically until the gas engine is phased out so resale and depreciation isn't my main concern. As I work for Ford I have A-plan pricing which eliminates most of the haggling needed for purchasing a new vehicle as well.

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
They definitely are problematic, almost no grip whatsoever. Have you decided which all seasons you're gonna get? I Have an HPP that I have to drive through the winter. The Pilot Sport AS3 was on top of my list.
AS3 OR AS4, whichever is more economical.

Christurek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Edit: get a Base GT but with the bigger screen and leather seats. I got mine for 33K, MSRP was $40,950

As someone who has a Base GT, get that instead of a premium HPP. Unless you're tracking the car, you're going to enjoy the V8 more than the I4. Simple mods can be done to improve the handling significantly, including new wheels/tires and lowering springs. My GT firmed up so well with new springs.

Get the Base GT. You'll regret the HPP.

Sponsored

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Pretty sure he's talking about the 1JZ, 2JZ, RB20 and RB26. I6's known for being able to take massive abuse. Japans tuner kids are also less known for just beating on an engine then reselling the car as the US is. They are more likely to take care of it or hold on to it till it breaks. THEN resell it or part it out.

Christurek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t. Have you ever driven an HPP with the handling package and the six speed?
I know for a fact I would miss that V8. I would rather get a Civic Type R if I wanted a 4 cylinder

Christurek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
If he wants a great handling car a HPP will out handle a base GT and possible even a PP1 any day.
A base GT with a good set of tires and either springs or coilovers will smoke an HPP up a mountain

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I know for a fact I would miss that V8. I would rather get a Civic Type R if I wanted a 4 cylinder
I wouldn't unless I needed 4 doors and didnt mind being assumed I'm a punk kid. They perform almost the exact same and the HPP is a few K cheaper. You're also more likely to get a dealer to deal with you on it as its not a ricers wet dream.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hurdur BuT iF I mOd iT...
Yeah, but we're talking about simple mods. Adding the V8 later because you miss it isn't nearly as simple or inexpensive.

I like the HPP but I agree with him, Coyote > all lol. But I'm obviously biased. It's one thing to have fun on a canyon road, but its another thing entirely to have the windows down and that sexy rumble behind you the whole way.

Christurek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hurdur BuT iF I mOd iT...
Grow up lmao Ice445 explained it perfectly. You can improve the handling of the Base GT over time with ease but you can't just engine swap a HPP.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Yeah, but we're talking about simple mods. Adding the V8 later because you miss it isn't nearly as simple or inexpensive.

I like the HPP but I agree with him, Coyote > all lol. But I'm obviously biased. It's one thing to have fun on a canyon road, but its another thing entirely to have the windows down and that sexy rumble behind you the whole way.
It also depends on the owners' goals, priorities and what they care about. You can also slap on a 3.73 gear, a tune and be running dang close to the GT. Thats cheaper thats the cost of coil overs or a spring install.
Sponsored