• Poll closed .

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
After driving my 101a HPP for a few months now, its really grown on me. Would I prefer to have gotten a GT? Yes...I also really want a GT350, but techs don't get paid that much :(. I wish I did get the handling package, digital dash and B+O...but that would've put it out of my budget. In the end, I got a bit more in options/features for my budget range than if I just went with a base GT and no options.

The clutch does feel pretty vague and soft compared to my '66, but once you've driven it a bit you build that muscle memory. Shifts can be notchy (mine throws a fit between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd still mainly when cold). I'm surprised the ride isn't that stiff though, unlike my Fiesta ST. Really makes a good overall cruiser and can be sporty when needed. The active exhaust is also great for a 4 pot - nice and throaty in sport/track.

My opinion - if you can get a GT with the options you want, get a GT. If you want a bit more features/options and aren't hell-bent on needing 460hp, the HPP is a great option.
Sponsored

Christurek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
After driving my 101a HPP for a few months now, its really grown on me. Would I prefer to have gotten a GT? Yes...I also really want a GT350, but techs don't get paid that much :(. I wish I did get the handling package, digital dash and B+O...but that would've put it out of my budget. In the end, I got a bit more in options/features for my budget range than if I just went with a base GT and no options.

The clutch does feel pretty vague and soft compared to my '66, but once you've driven it a bit you build that muscle memory. Shifts can be notchy (mine throws a fit between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd still mainly when cold). I'm surprised the ride isn't that stiff though, unlike my Fiesta ST. Really makes a good overall cruiser and can be sporty when needed. The active exhaust is also great for a 4 pot - nice and throaty in sport/track.

My opinion - if you can get a GT with the options you want, get a GT. If you want a bit more features/options and aren't hell-bent on needing 460hp, the HPP is a great option.
A shift mount bushing will help with your shifts. It's helped me immensely

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
Get what you want and don't worry about what anyone thinks. Someone will ALWAYS think you should of got something else no matter what you get. With that said I knew I personally wanted a PP2. I loved them since they came out. To me the PP2 is just bad ass.
Indeed. IF I was going to get a GT in 2020 it was going to be a PP2. I liked the appearance of the square set up and the subdued spoiler (at least compared to the PP1 wing).

But I also know myself and driving style. I would have rarely used the awesomeness of the PP2s capabilities.

But that ship has sailed. The PP2 is gone, replaced by the Mach 1, which is a superb machine. But I cannot get past the badges and stickers. I get it, the graphics are the heart of the Mach 1 heritage and combined with all the performance goodies makes for something special.

But not for me.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If both cars did everything literally the same, Ford wouldn't charge more for the V8
it makes more power.. and faster.. but the handling/etc is the exact same. there's no way around it, its the same body, same components, same transmissions, same everything.

all thats different is the engine plant.
imo, an ecoboost with handling package or aftermarket equilvalent, will out handle a gt non handling package all day. granted, it'll still be slower.

people, want power, so they will pay. it again depends on the person. some people would rather have MOARRR power, with base cloth seats for same or more cost than an ecoboost premium, (leather and all fancy tech) with slower engine.

im all about luxury, give me the handling, give me the leather.

There is NO wrong answer. imo the ONLY wrong answer, is getting a car you can't afford, you won't enjoy a payment that stresses your life out. if you want HP go GT, if you want the same car, but slower/quieter lol. go ecoboost.

I don't believe anyone who says they can't enjoy either car one way or another.

Christurek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
it makes more power.. and faster.. but the handling/etc is the exact same. there's no way around it, its the same body, same components, same transmissions, same everything.

all thats different is the engine plant.
imo, an ecoboost with handling package or aftermarket equilvalent, will out handle a gt non handling package all day. granted, it'll still be slower.

people, want power, so they will pay. it again depends on the person. some people would rather have MOARRR power, with base cloth seats for same or more cost than an ecoboost premium, (leather and all fancy tech) with slower engine.

im all about luxury, give me the handling, give me the leather.

There is NO wrong answer. imo the ONLY wrong answer, is getting a car you can't afford, you won't enjoy a payment that stresses your life out. if you want HP go GT, if you want the same car, but slower/quieter lol. go ecoboost.

I don't believe anyone who says they can't enjoy either car one way or another.
I mean I got the leather, the sync 3 touch screen, and the heated/cooled seats on a base GT for 33k. Springs, new wheels and wider tires were less than 3K total. At 36K I have a great car that handles well, sounds great, and is a joy to have on road trips.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I mean I got the leather, the sync 3 touch screen, and the heated/cooled seats on a base GT for 33k. Springs, new wheels and wider tires were less than 3K total. At 36K I have a great car that handles well, sounds great, and is a joy to have on road trips.
before the pandemic, you could get fully loaded leftover ecoboost premiums for less than 28k OTD. nothing to sneeze at.
Sponsored