Sponsored

cidthekid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cesar
Vehicle(s)
2017 Procharged Mustang
OK guys… was thinking on SC a Mach 1 with whipple, tought it was a set and forget thing but then I see people chasing gremlins here and there… so do I have to put extra time to fix problems that will arise and may never fix?

Thanks
JC
you’re making a MAJOR modification to the engine that will nearly double its output. So it is a gamble. As long as you follow the instructions it is mostly set it and forget it. Most people have no problems. But not guaranteed.
Sponsored

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
OK guys… was thinking on SC a Mach 1 with whipple, tought it was a set and forget thing but then I see people chasing gremlins here and there… so do I have to put extra time to fix problems that will arise and may never fix?

Thanks
JC
Mine is working with seemingly no issues, 6 months on but only a few hundred miles. My experience with the Whipple kit is recorded in my build thread (see signature)

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
18 Dodge Charger scat pack
Only problem I had was with hot restart issue.which was a bad check valve in the DW 400 fuel pump.and a little problem, installing the intercooler expansion tank & some off the hose but no biggie. I believe they got rid of tank & new hose which should make the insulation much more easier less problems

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
And after tuning car with whipple tune the paddle shifter lights are always on the dashboard on the 10r80,but runs & and shifts fine. Drove it to Myrtle Beach last month ran great. seems stock until your floor it😜

OP
OP
bryontro

bryontro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Whipple Stage 2
I don't know if I would call them gremblins. At least in my case. The fuel pump issue, "crap" happens. The new fuel pump seems to have mitigated my hot start issue. I need a few days to tell for sure.

In my particular case, on the last calibration update, whipple ended up sending me a HP RTD for the upload. This is where the "gremblin" started. My guess is that they may be moving away from their tomohawk tuner that they send with the kit. I have confirmed my issue by reloading the original calibration (with the tomohawk) and my problem goes away. In simple terms, growing pains from one format to the next I suppose. The data logging part of HP VCM scanner is very detailed and as I learn more about it I get more interested.

I am patiently working with them and providing data logs to help them sort it out. I am not remotely close to the smartest guy in the room. There is a theory in the military where you give a task to the dumbest person you can find. If they are successful, the procedure is complete. It feels a lot like that right now when whipple requests something. :)

In this game, I'm not sure anything is completely set and forget. That would be going to the dealership and buying a ZL-1 or GT-500. This is a significant mod. I will say overall, I am very impressed by the fit and finish of the whipple kit, the kit itself went in as you would expect a bolt on item to. And with the original calibration, was pretty much set and forget. But these things tend to pull you in, more interest, more studying, more power, etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bryontro

bryontro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Whipple Stage 2
And after tuning car with whipple tune the paddle shifter lights are always on the dashboard on the 10r80,but runs & and shifts fine.
This is the subject that started the discussions with whipple that led to the HP RTD tuner being sent. They did fix the paddle shifter icons back to normal. But there is a throttle back off thing happening for no reason they are working on.

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
This is the subject that started the discussions with whipple that led to the HP RTD tuner being sent. They did fix the paddle shifter icons back to normal. But there is a throttle back off thing happening for no reason they are working on.
I was getting aP0124 code with my car.I just got rid of thottlebody gasket and retorque it.

cidthekid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cesar
Vehicle(s)
2017 Procharged Mustang
can you describe what you mean with the “throttle back off thing”? My car feels like it’s withholding power when I start from a complete stop until it gets to about 2k rpm. Wonder if that’s what you’re referring to.

OP
OP
bryontro

bryontro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Whipple Stage 2
The
can you describe what you mean with the “throttle back off thing”?
Sure. Its only happening to me with the calibrations using the HP tuner /RTD combo. With the original whipple tune (tomohawk) I have no issues which I proved out this weekend.

But be aware, there are legitimate reasons why the throttle may be backing off as well. Fuel pressure, detonation, post charge temps are just a couple. Have to data log so those can be looked at. In my case, all perimeters are where they need to be but the throttle rolls back to 50% at 5700 rpm anyway. Seems to be a calibration specific issue.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
can you describe what you mean with the “throttle back off thing”? My car feels like it’s withholding power when I start from a complete stop until it gets to about 2k rpm. Wonder if that’s what you’re referring to.
Well what you describe is probably normal operation from the bypass being actuated by vacuum.

" Whipple superchargers use a high-flow bypass valve, normal city driving, and low-RPM highway cruising, can actually mimic a naturally aspirated application quite well thanks to the bypass valve equalizing pressure above and below the supercharger."

From the below article:

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-t...perchargers-101-heres-the-whipple-difference/

Sponsored

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
Well what you describe is probably normal operation from the bypass being actuated by vacuum.

" Whipple superchargers use a high-flow bypass valve, normal city driving, and low-RPM highway cruising, can actually mimic a naturally aspirated application quite well thanks to the bypass valve equalizing pressure above and below the supercharger."

From the below article:

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-t...perchargers-101-heres-the-whipple-difference/
I love the way this works! Under 3000-3500 drives like it did N/A

OP
OP
bryontro

bryontro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Whipple Stage 2
Received corrected tune from Whipple. Uploaded this evening. Throttle issue fixed. Small refinements overall. Engine is much smoother running. Boost comes in with less throttle pedal and earlier than previously.
Midrange feels more responsive and/or stronger.

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
U using there tomahawk ?

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Gt PP1 Stage 2 whipple
Very good thread. I got mine installed June 2022. My paddle shifter icons are on all the time as well. My biggest issues were the dual fan relays and intercooler pump fuses.
The dual fans would run fine for a few weeks but the relay would fail eventually. The 30 amp fuse never failed, I opened up one of the relays and it looked burnt and melted. The wiring inside looks cheap, whipple told me to buy a 50 amp relay and wire that to the harness but i just left the fans disconnected and it runs fine and no difference.
Issue number 2 was the 10 amp fuse for the intercooler pump kept blowing randomly. It would work a week or several weeks.
Whipple said to use 15 amp fuse ,no issues since then.
Another thing I don't like is the airbox being open on the bottom. The AITs get really high in traffic or driving slow, but I am in Austin TX and we are over 100 all summer.
I am running the whipple tune , no other engine mods yet.
As far as the modes , they all work like before except normal mode hits the shifts harder and will squeal the tires when it shifts from 1st to 2nd if I step on it a bit. Before it only did thst on drag mode.
Pretty happy overall but wanting a more aggressive tune that is still drivable daily.
Sponsored