Sponsored

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I have a question about tunes, specifically the Whipple vs. an aftermarket tune. I have a Stage 2 kit on my manual 2015 and freaking love it. I think the Whipple tune feels ok so far except the idle is higher and my gad mileage really went to shit…I get it, I’m not really worried about mileage but how did I go from 20ish to 13? I don’t drive it like I stole it all the time.

so what are the benefits of getting an aftermarket tune? Will drivability get a little better? The Whipple tune seems like something is off a little…not in a really bad way, just off. I know more power, but I’m not really that concerned about that, but for those that did a different tune, was it worth it? I’d go with Rob Shoemaker.

Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
bryontro

bryontro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Whipple Stage 2
So I have a question about tunes, specifically the Whipple vs. an aftermarket tune. I have a Stage 2 kit on my manual 2015 and freaking love it. I think the Whipple tune feels ok so far except the idle is higher and my gad mileage really went to shit…I get it, I’m not really worried about mileage but how did I go from 20ish to 13? I don’t drive it like I stole it all the time.

so what are the benefits of getting an aftermarket tune? Will drivability get a little better? The Whipple tune seems like something is off a little…not in a really bad way, just off. I know more power, but I’m not really that concerned about that, but for those that did a different tune, was it worth it? I’d go with Rob Shoemaker.

Thanks
Overall, Whipple has been responsive to me. Drivability has been rather good "in drive" mode. On the mileage though, I may have lost 2 mpg if that. Im still seeing 23 mpg on the highway so I would suggest contacting Whipple for latest calibration and see what happens. I am in an A10 car though.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Those two issues are the reason I got into DIY tuning, honestly.

I don't know why Whipple insists on increasing the idle speed. I complained to them about this way back in 2015 and they refused to lower it. I got hptuners and did it myself and it works fine. My guess they had idle stability problems on some cars and increasing the idle speed fixed it on all of them.

Also they clearly didn't worry much with the fuel economy. The part throttle shift points (for instance, cruising at 40 mph at 1800 rpm vs 1200 rpm), MBT timing tables, idle speed, and cam timing were not set up for fuel economy. I got probably 90% of my fuel economy back by copying in stock shift tables for part throttle, copying Roush MBT timing tables, lowering idle speed, and altering part throttle cam timing.

I've seen aftermarket tunes from big names that were even worse than Whipple regarding part throttle cam timing, spark timing, and shift points. Most aftermarket tuners won't worry with that stuff either. They just want to get WOT power and decent drivability, response, etc.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
I hear ya on the mpg. horrible.... e85 I get 12-14mpg interstate & 93 16-17mpg interstate. My buddy with the ess kit gets almost double. LOL. mine is a A10 with lund.