2021+ 4-piston rotors?

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
It says Left, Right meaning either side. Directional rotors would be interesting lol
When I view the posted link via laptop is see this:

Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 8.10.16 AM.png

When I view from my phone is see this:

IMG_F4E9CF9E1455-1.jpeg

Starting to think I'm losing my mind lol
Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I've seen some threads here mentioning that 2021 and newer had corrected the cooling of the OEM 4-piston rotors.

Is it possible to buy those OEM replacement front rotors for an older Mustang?

RockAuto is showing BRRF447 and BRRF439.

It looks like BRRF447 is vented inside based on the pics I get from googling but I'm not 100% certain.

Can anyone confirm?

I know there's 6-piston take off kits, and I understand that I would need the control arms and belly pan to get full brake cooling performance, regardless of what path I chose.
Mike, BRRF448 Should be the ones you want.

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
How it saves money I don't know.
Warranty issues. A better cooled disc sees more heat cycles. If you keep the brake artificially hot, then the operating temp is higher, but more consistent. If you're accelerating and braking with traffic, you'll never see fade, but you'll reduce the possibility of cracks and warping.

Take it to the track, though, and you're screwed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MrMike

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
We bought one and confirmed the correct part number.
I have attached our BLOG POST about it.
Thanks! This actually makes keeping the 4-piston brakes a reasonable option. Just need to grab some more aggressive pads and good to go.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well that is clear as mud.
It’s standard hat vs reverse hat. Standard hat has the cooling on the wheel side and reverse hat has the cooling on the suspension side.

The benefit from standard hat is the rotors won’t warp like reverse hat. Standard hat rotors have a straight mating surface with the wheel and rotor which causes heat cycling to be very symmetrical and resist warping. Reverse hat has a step that curves to meet the mating surface of the wheel and hub. This allows the better cooling on the back but also causes the rotor to be more susceptible to warping due to heat cycling.

Long story short, standard hat rotors will feel smoother much longer but heat soak much quicker due to not being able to get clean air to cool.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
do you have a post about 'track' pads for the 4-pot? Seems the pickings are mighty slim.
100%, that's the issue. EBC has some options. I run the blue pad for normal running around, but I don't know if they make the same pad in actual track compounds.

A 14" disc is still pretty big. I think if you're trying to actually race, you'll want the biggest brakes you can find for heat management. For autocross/track day work, the 14's should be fine once they have reasonable cooling air on them.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
For autocross/track day work, the 14's should be fine once they have reasonable cooling air on them.
They do work fine. Although I have the 2 piece rotors front and back I've never wished I had more brake. I like the reduced weight.

I could see the rears on the 21 up overheating since they still are reversed cooled.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
They do work fine. Although I have the 2 piece rotors front and back I've never wished I had more brake. I like the reduced weight.

I could see the rears on the 21 up overheating since they still are reversed cooled.
Are the rear rotors on the PP1 cars different than the regular GT? I believe the calipers are the same other than paint, right?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Rear brakes are all the same, even mach1, except eb without pp.

OP
OP
MrMike

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
100%, that's the issue. EBC has some options. I run the blue pad for normal running around, but I don't know if they make the same pad in actual track compounds.

A 14" disc is still pretty big. I think if you're trying to actually race, you'll want the biggest brakes you can find for heat management. For autocross/track day work, the 14's should be fine once they have reasonable cooling air on them.
I used EBC RedStuff on my Z years ago and was satisfied. I would just try RedStuff on the Mustang.
Sponsored