Sponsored

2021+ 4-piston rotors?

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen some threads here mentioning that 2021 and newer had corrected the cooling of the OEM 4-piston rotors.

Is it possible to buy those OEM replacement front rotors for an older Mustang?

RockAuto is showing BRRF447 and BRRF439.

It looks like BRRF447 is vented inside based on the pics I get from googling but I'm not 100% certain.

Can anyone confirm?

I know there's 6-piston take off kits, and I understand that I would need the control arms and belly pan to get full brake cooling performance, regardless of what path I chose.
Sponsored

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
You dont need the belly pan and control arms to cool the rotors. Just a brake duct cooling kit $200-$300.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I've seen some threads here mentioning that 2021 and newer had corrected the cooling of the OEM 4-piston rotors.

Is it possible to buy those OEM replacement front rotors for an older Mustang?

RockAuto is showing BRRF447 and BRRF439.

It looks like BRRF447 is vented inside based on the pics I get from googling but I'm not 100% certain.

Can anyone confirm?

I know there's 6-piston take off kits, and I understand that I would need the control arms and belly pan to get full brake cooling performance, regardless of what path I chose.
The discs with proper cooling will be a big first step. Right now, the only ones that I'm sure of are from Ford. They drop right on to the older cars.

OP
OP
MrMike

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The discs with proper cooling will be a big first step. Right now, the only ones that I'm sure of are from Ford. They drop right on to the older cars.
Do you know the part number so I can grab them? I'm struggling with making sure I'm getting the newest revision.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Do you know the part number so I can grab them? I'm struggling with making sure I'm getting the newest revision.
I don't have it. You'll have to stand at the parts counter for a little while and argue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MrMike

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Well that is clear as mud.
How to explain?

The prior years rotors had the opening for the cooling on the outside of the rotor or facing the wheel. This is called reverse cooled and there is no way to get air to the cooling side of the rotor.

The new rotors have the cooling opening or vanes on the inside of the rotor Like most every disk brake car since they were invented. You can add cooling ducts if needed.

Brembos cool from the inside.

Unfortunately Ford continues to reverse cool the rear brakes on all models except the Shelby's.

Does this at least make it cloudy water?

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
How to explain?

The prior years rotors had the opening for the cooling on the outside of the rotor or facing the wheel. This is called reverse cooled and there is no way to get air to the cooling side of the rotor.

The new rotors have the cooling opening or vanes on the inside of the rotor Like most every disk brake car since they were invented. You can add cooling ducts if needed.

Brembos cool from the inside.

Unfortunately Ford continues to reverse cool the rear brakes on all models except the Shelby's.

Does this at least make it cloudy water?
Ok i got it, thx for the explanation. If not using brake ducts, would the older version be better?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ok i got it, thx for the explanation. If not using brake ducts, would the older version be better?
NO, there is no reason to cool from the outside. the brakes can and will overheat on a 1/4 mile shut down.

It is a cost saving move only.

I didn't have my base model a month until I bought Steeda's 2 piece rotors due to overheating my brakes on the street.

How it saves money I don't know.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC