Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Agreed.

And assuming that what the future holds is a lot more reliance on electrics of some sort, I think the styling should be kept entirely in tune with that rather than borrow styling cues that hark back to the early 1960's. Electric cars have no 1960's heritage to reflect, and I seriously doubt there's anything about the styling of late-1800's/early-1900's electric cars that would make any sense to resurrect either.

Norm
Sponsored

Benjj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camero
Has Hackett done anything positive at ford yet? Murdered the car line up. Stocks are plummeting. Plans to make a crossover Mustang EV thing. He’s a numbers guy. I’m sure if he had his way the next Mustang would be based on the explorer platform just just so they can share more parts and costs. Mustang is the only vehicle at ford making any sort of buzz and Hackett is actively out to water down the name by using the mustangs styling cues on other vehicles.

In regards to the blazer getting Camaro styling. For the most part, people have had positive reactions to it. Most nay sayers hate that they are dusting off the blazer name though as it’s not the blazer of old. It’s like what ford did with the bronco. There was an early rendering of a 2 door that looked bad ass. The latest spy shots have it looking like some generic Suzuki. Why use the bronco name if it shares none of the older bronco qualities. Same thing with the blazer can be said

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
From what I've heard about it, the styling will be Tesla-inspired. So imagine a mash-up of the Model X and a Mustang. Maybe a few styling cues (the tri-bars in the back are a bit much for me too), but hopefully it won't just look like a lifted Mustang hatchback. As for the name, I've been suggesting Lightning for a while now. It doesn't seem that Ford will ever use it for an F-150 again, and it sounds much more like an EV than Mach 1 does. The current rendering that's been making the rounds seems to differentiate it with a different grill, tweaked headlights and bumper. Doesn't look horrible to me.
ford-mustang-suv-render.jpg

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ford listened back in the early 90's when we didn't want the FWD Probe to become a Mustang.
This whole "mach 1" ordeal has been giving me probe flashbacks since day 1. Didn't they intend to sell the Probe as a "mustang inspired FWD compact" alongside the mustang until they could phase out the mustang completely? Sounds pretty familiar

Also, can we stop trying to compare this to Porsche? Yes, their SUVs are 911 styled and contribute to the majority of their sales. the difference is, 1. Porsche's brand image is based on the 911, for that was their ONLY vehicle aside from the Boxster (which was just a 911 inspired roadster) when the Cayenne was first introduced, and 2. Porsche doesn't offer ANY civilian vehicles outside of their SUVs and the Panamera, so of course their SUVs are going to contribute to the majority of their sales

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
From what I've heard about it, the styling will be Tesla-inspired. So imagine a mash-up of the Model X and a Mustang. Maybe a few styling cues (the tri-bars in the back are a bit much for me too), but hopefully it won't just look like a lifted Mustang hatchback. As for the name, I've been suggesting Lightning for a while now. It doesn't seem that Ford will ever use it for an F-150 again, and it sounds much more like an EV than Mach 1 does. The current rendering that's been making the rounds seems to differentiate it with a different grill, tweaked headlights and bumper. Doesn't look horrible to me.
Yeah, that's honestly somewhat bearable if they did away with the tri-bars. Also, x2 on having been suggesting "Lightning" for a while now

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yeah, that's honestly somewhat bearable if they did away with the tri-bars. Also, x2 on having been suggesting "Lightning" for a while now
Regarding the tri-bars, they could use them as inspiration without copying them. For example, they could do a throwback to older Mustangs with horizontal tri-bars. With the "futuristic" styling fad of full-width LED bars for tail lights going on currently, having the Mustang have 3 of them stacked full-width or even just a modernized version of fox-body or 94-98 tail lights would be a cool nod without being a direct rip-off.
F145206211.jpg
23954204130_large.jpg

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding the tri-bars, they could use them as inspiration without copying them. For example, they could do a throwback to older Mustangs with horizontal tri-bars. With the "futuristic" styling fad of full-width LED bars for tail lights going on currently, having the Mustang have 3 of them stacked full-width or even just a modernized version of fox-body or 94-98 tail lights would be a cool nod without being a direct rip-off.
F145206211.jpg
23954204130_large.jpg
I like the idea of SN95 inspired tri-bars... go horizontal instead of vertical!

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Chevrolet are working on a Camaro version too.

jamais_contente.jpg

But even that is better than a Tesla.
Here are the results of What Car's reliability survey.

Capture27.png
Hard to believe Suzuki could be top of the list.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Would prefer something I didnt need to plug in. How about we start with hybrids.

MX Raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From point "A" to point "B"
Not sure what the big fuss is, a lot of manufacturers are already keeping one type of styling cue across the board. With Ford getting rid of a lot of their models in the near future they have to have something with that "aggressive" look that people are getting used to, to transfer over into their new lineup and that aggressive look comes from Mustang. If you look at Lexus, Infiniti, Porsche, Honda, Hyundai, Cadillac, etc.. All of their new model year cars/suv/crossovers whatever, have the same distinct cues to them, with changes here and there to separate them from each other. The Mustang is Fords "face" and it will be spread across the new line up whether you guys want it or not, that's where it looks like the brand is going.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The current rendering that's been making the rounds seems to differentiate it with a different grill, tweaked headlights and bumper. Doesn't look horrible to me.
Still looks like a Mustang on stilts. Ugh.

Norm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
F145206211.jpg
23954204130_large.jpg
Personally, I'd like to see the '68 Cougar taillight treatment on a modern vehicle. The Ford electric CUV would be a good place for that.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Dear Ford...

No.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Or more like this:

P1011492-porsche-macan-s-turbo.jpg

Utility...

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
Im absolutely disgusted by this. It shows how cheesey and desperate Ford must be getting.
Sponsored