corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I completely disagree with the statement that EVs are not ready. I think sales of the Model 3 prove that they are and that the market wants them.
What Tesla sales proves is that a few people want them. But by one source, sales estimates for all of Tesla's models combined barely matches just the Mustang, which is itself a niche vehicle.

Charging tech needs expansion I agree but for the vast majority of people, a 300 mile EV is more then capable of being a daily driver. For long range trips an ICE car makes more sense currently but that's not to say it can't be done in an EV and with level 3 charging becoming more main stream, that advantage of the ICE will quickly vanish.
Maybe, maybe not. How much does level 3 charging cost, and can the typical 150 - 200 amp household electric service support it in addition to everything else?

I think Ford is missing the ball big time... Make your crossover EV but don't make it look like a mustang. Instead, make a mustang EV and Ford would be the first (and only, currently) to offer an EV sports car. (Assuming it would remain affordable)
The risk there is that both the Mustang program and the EV program suffer. The Mustang is really a vehicle for a fairly small niche, and an EV version would be a small niche inside that.

Norm
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
What Tesla sales proves is that a few people want them. But by one source, sales estimates for all of Tesla's models combined barely matches just the Mustang, which is itself a niche vehicle.
Model 3 was the 5th best selling car in the US in August so I wouldn't say "few people want them". Tesla's issue is that they are expensive and limited production compared to other auto manufactures.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/23396/...is-fifth-best-selling-car-of-august-in-the-us

Maybe, maybe not. How much does level 3 charging cost, and can the typical 150 - 200 amp household electric service support it in addition to everything else?
Level 3 charging is useful for road trips since it can charge the battery faster then more traditional level 2 chargers. Tesla Superchargers are a form of level 3 charging.

"Level 3 equipment with CHAdeMO technology, also commonly known as DC fast charging, charges through a 480V, direct-current (DC) plug. Most Level 3 chargers provide an 80% charge in 30 minutes. Cold weather can lengthen the time required to charge.

This type of Level 3 equipment is not compatible with all vehicles, and the charge itself is not accepted by all vehicles. There is currently no industry standard for this level of charging; however, Level 3 chargers are being deployed across the United States in public or commercial settings. Currently, the Mitsubishi "i" and Nissan LEAF can accept a Level 3 charge. Other vehicles, such as the Chevy Volt cannot."

http://www.evtown.org/about-ev-town/ev-charging/charging-levels.html

The risk there is that both the Mustang program and the EV program suffer. The Mustang is really a vehicle for a fairly small niche, and an EV version would be a small niche inside that.
Which is why I am saying to keep the crossover EV (but leave mustang styling out of it) and use the drive-train of that (keep development costs low) for a AWD Mustang EV. Give the Mustang EV enough performance and people will buy it. The EcoBoost is a prime example.... A 4 cylinder turbo in a Mustang but it has enough performance and a low enough price tag to be successful. Same would apply to an EV Mustang IMO.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Model 3 was the 5th best selling car in the US in August so I wouldn't say "few people want them". Tesla's issue is that they are expensive and limited production compared to other auto manufactures.
I said "a few", as opposed to "a great many" or "a lot". Not as a synonym for "very few" as it seems you (mis)read. We'll have to see if ~200,000 units/year sustains itself, or is only another case of high initial interest now that production might be catching up that will taper off once all the more serious EV enthusiasts have acquired theirs.

Level 3 charging is useful for road trips since it can charge the battery faster then more traditional level 2 chargers. Tesla Superchargers are a form of level 3 charging.
Level 3 appears to be totally unreasonable for an individual just from a financial standpoint. But if you were to own only an EV, and your daily usage can vary widely, level 1 isn't going to be the answer, not by a long shot. Even level 2 could get in the way of usage that's not firmly fixed by other factors in your daily schedule. I happen to be retired, so if I want to go some place that's 50 or maybe a hundred miles away on ten minutes notice I'd be greatly annoyed if I had to sit around long enough to top off the charge in a half-depleted battery pack simply because I hadn't foreseen the trip the night before.

Which is why I am saying to keep the crossover EV (but leave mustang styling out of it) and use the drive-train of that (keep development costs low) for a AWD Mustang EV. Give the Mustang EV enough performance and people will buy it. The EcoBoost is a prime example.... A 4 cylinder turbo in a Mustang but it has enough performance and a low enough price tag to be successful. Same would apply to an EV Mustang IMO.
Yeah, you'd need to spread the development cost mainly in another vehicle. But in the Mustang, the additional expense of AWD (and the separate crash certifications) would work against any hope of a low price tag. Or drive the price of the entire Mustang line upward. The path of least resistance here would be to keep any EV Mustang RWD only, just eliminate the transfer case and all the FWD bits.

Norm

milo4753

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2009 f150, 1973 240 Z
A sub-4 sec elect/hybred mustang might be tolerable... but please Ford, NO Mustang styling cues or names on a cross-over. Please don't destroy 55 years of Mustangs. Thank God I got a 2019 GT, before the Probe II comes out.

Sponsored

rambunctious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A 50's hotrod, 2011 Diesel Superduty
I love everything about this article (except the styling cues of the vehicle.) It reminds me of when I started my career at Ford, part of a brand new team using a new launch process call co-location and World Class Timing. A redefinition of the entire product launch process. That was 1991. Our Ford Explorer program was the first to go through this. I was lucky to get a BUNCH of training in support of this new process. I miss working for Ford.

Anyway, not sure if the Mustang Styling cues is the right choice, but we will see……..
Maybe the Cougar is the right model name and "hint" at Mustang styling without diluting mustang?
http://carswithmuscles.com/1969-mercury-cougar/

in 1990 I was part of a college competition that raced solar powered electric vehicles from Florida to GM's Tech Center...... a 1650 mile rally race......that was 28 years ago
It is time......

Ramb

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
The train has left the station. Ford needs a more modern design language for an EV line. I could personally care less where they get their inspiration.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I absolutely agree that Ford needs to step into the EV arena, but the Porsche example isn't exactly apples to apples. Ford already has a number of SUV models that utilise the Ford family styling (Escape/Edge/Explorer etc). Any new Ford EV SUV should, in my mind, utilise those styling cues. No need to steal Mustang-specific styling cues. Porsche, on the other hand, didn't have any existing SUVs, so when they designed the first one it utilised the 911 styling because the was Porsche styling!

It just strikes me that Ford is leaning on the Mustang styling cues to ensure this new EV gets instant acceptance. That's a little ironic in my book as, for me, its having the opposite effect. If it was styled similar to an Escape/Edge, I'd consider one, but not when it rips off the styling of an icon.

Sorry Ford, I love you and bleed blue, but some decisions at the moment leave me frustrated :(

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
Whats next, a Mustang pickup? What a terrible idea. I guess thats what you get when you hire a guy known for making filing cabinets.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So here is a thought I had overnight.... Still not 100% ok with it but its an interesting idea at least I think...

Say Ford used the Mach 1 name on this CUV BUT it also planned a coupe version. A EV coupe 2 door with the Mach 1 name and mustang styling cues. The benefit here is that its an entirely new car where you do not have to worry about heritage and "making it true to mustang roots". So my thought would be make the coupe version more of a mid engine type profile (smaller hood, longer tail) for more utility and storage but still have subtle cues to the mustang to merit the Mach 1 name. Build it on the same platform/chassis as the CUV and have a large number of carry-over parts to make it affordable to both the company and the market.

My problem here is that if you have a coupe EV that can also be a CUV it will likely sell well where as like others have said, the mustang is a small niche. So I am pretty sure I know what model would get axed after a few years of co-existing....

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The train has left the station. Ford needs a more modern design language for an EV line. I could personally care less where they get their inspiration.
The Mustang's design language hasn't changed all that much in 50+ years, and the name itself evokes the U.S. Old West and American WWII fighter planes. Hardly anything "modern" about it, which just might be part of the Mustang's appeal.

Certainly there must be something more in tune with the nature of EV propulsion to point the future of EV design toward.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Say Ford used the Mach 1 name on this CUV BUT it also planned a coupe version. A EV coupe 2 door with the Mach 1 name and mustang styling cues. The benefit here is that its an entirely new car where you do not have to worry about heritage and "making it true to mustang roots".
I really think it's be better off with a more futuristic-sounding name. Like 'Fusion'. I'd even suggest 'Probe' except that that name probably carries too much baggage. No reason you couldn't make a 2-door/coupe version of the Fusion like mfrs did back in the day with the then-current intermediates.

My problem here is that if you have a coupe EV that can also be a CUV it will likely sell well where as like others have said, the mustang is a small niche. So I am pretty sure I know what model would get axed after a few years of co-existing....
Which would be a shame in the eyes of most everybody but Hackett.

Norm

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Hold onto your current Mustangs ladies and gentlemen. When Hackett follows what his name suggests (hacking), the Mustang will be distorted and eventually go extinct. Our Mustangs will be collectibles sooner than what we all thought!

davejonnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
What can you do? It's what most of the brainwashed market wants now... a Sporty looking (not necessarily sporty itself) SUV. The Mustang styling cues and name will probably appeal and sell well to the masses, regardless of what the Mustang enthusiast thinks.

Keep in mind that the Mustang is almost a brand of its own, we even have our own emblem instead of a Ford emblem! It's what most of the sporty cars companies are doing now.... look at Porsche, Lambo, Alfa Romeo, Jaguar, etc. They are all coming out with SUVs using the styling cues of their sports cars! Given their success, I can see why Ford wants a slice of the pie...

I kinda don't care, so long as this does not cause them to do away with the actual Mustang...

All I know, is that I will be keeping one of the last all out V8 Mustangs forever. Love me my GT350 and that sexy sounding 5.2! :)
Sponsored

Last edited: