Sponsored

2020 Mustang-inspired EV

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

Level 3 charging is useful for road trips since it can charge the battery faster then more traditional level 2 chargers. Tesla Superchargers are a form of level 3 charging.

"Level 3 equipment with CHAdeMO technology, also commonly known as DC fast charging, charges through a 480V, direct-current (DC) plug. Most Level 3 chargers provide an 80% charge in 30 minutes. Cold weather can lengthen the time required to charge.

This type of Level 3 equipment is not compatible with all vehicles, and the charge itself is not accepted by all vehicles. There is currently no industry standard for this level of charging; however, Level 3 chargers are being deployed across the United States in public or commercial settings. Currently, the Mitsubishi "i" and Nissan LEAF can accept a Level 3 charge. Other vehicles, such as the Chevy Volt cannot."

Just trying to clarify a few things... CHAdeMO is one of (3) vehicle charging protocols, all of whic are capable of Level 1 & 2 charging and, with additional content, Level 3. CHAdeMO does not have exclusive domain of Level 3. In fact, most of the industry appears to be settling out towards CCS aka SAE Combo protocol. Most new EVs coming to market are CCS or offer the option of that or CHAdeMO, since CHAdeMO is the de facto standard in Japan. CCS is protocol that Chevrolet Volt and Chevrolet Bolt use. Chevrolet Volt does not offer Level 3 because it has an ICE range extender that can charge the battery when the 18.1 kW battery is depleted. Chevrolet Bolt has DC Fast Charging (Level 3) as an option, because once the 238 mile battery range is depleted, that’s it. It’s an option instead of being standard because unless an owner wants to take periodic long trips, the likelihood of driving out the car’s total range in one day is pretty slim. For those who do drive that much or who make periodic trips, the DC Fast Charging option is there.

The 3rd protocol is Tesla and they are the only one using it. All Tesla chargers are capable of faster than Level 2 but not as fast as some Level 3 chargers. CCS Level 3 chargers are currently being deployed with as much as 350kW power delivery in the US, 400 kW in Europe(Teslas is currently capable up to 120 kW). CHAdeMO is working on 400 kW, but I’m not yet aware of where they are in terms of installation.

Level 3 appears to be totally unreasonable for an individual just from a financial standpoint. But if you were to own only an EV, and your daily usage can vary widely, level 1 isn't going to be the answer, not by a long shot. Even level 2 could get in the way of usage that's not firmly fixed by other factors in your daily schedule. I happen to be retired, so if I want to go some place that's 50 or maybe a hundred miles away on ten minutes notice I'd be greatly annoyed if I had to sit around long enough to top off the charge in a half-depleted battery pack simply because I hadn't foreseen the trip the night before.

Norm
Level 3 has never been intended for home use. That’s for Level 2. The idea being that one would only need Level 3 as an interim “fill” on long trips. Most BEV and PHEV owners would charge over night. Putting it in gasoline vehicle terms....how cool would it be to wake up every morning with a full tank of gas? That’s what Level 2 charging provides. My wife drives a Chevy Volt. She pretty much never stops at gas stations because she wakes up with 43 - 61 miles of range, depending on the weather, every morning. And since she rarely drives more than 20 - 25 miles a day, she rarely drives through the range. Now that her new job has charging stations, she can plug in at work and leave work with as much range as she has leaving home. Since she is RARELY charging from empty, it does not take long for her vehicle to be topped of with our Level 2 charger. Bolt is different. It has a 238 mile range (more or less depending on temperature and driving habits), so it could easily handle your retiree “change-of-plans”. The only time someone is going to require Level 3 is on a long trip. Then you can replace 90 miles of range in about 30 minutes.

The other thing about Level 3 charging is frequent L3 charging can degrade battery range and battery life over time, so you don’t want to do that as your main mode of charging. Level 2 is very sufficient for the way most people use cars.

Also coming in the very near future is vehicle wireless charging. Instead of plugging the car in at night, you position it over an inductive charging pad on the floor. Vehicle and charging match up, much like pairing a phone, and the vehicle charges, just like a wireless charger for a phone or electric toothbrush. So you wouldn’t have to remember to plug your car in or deal with a half-depleted battery because you didn’t realize you had to be somewhere in the morning. Cars that wirelessly charge at home can still plug into L2 or L3 chargers when away from home.
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I can’t read all the pages but the SUV thing is a mistake. They should just build a different body style or an electric Mustang all the way-like pulling a bandaid off. Just make sure it is way faster and watch what happens. I drive four different vehicles every day and sometimes six. There is always a hybrid in there and some of the oldest with the batteries failing. I’m over the fear of EV.

Bring it on! The fastest Mustang ever and all EV...

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
Dear Ford,

Build whatever crossover EV you want but don't make it mustang inspired. It is directly against the heritage of the mustang and the brand you build (shelby, bulitt etc..)

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Dear Ford,

Build whatever crossover EV you want but don't make it mustang inspired. It is directly against the heritage of the mustang and the brand you build (shelby, bulitt etc..)

The world is going electric. Mustang is a brand they will not retire. Therefore the Mustang will end up being an electric car. This isn’t rocket science folks, just reality. When they build the faster EV Mustang that looks like a Mustang of old; sooner or later someone will ask why this electric car has a big nose and grill that slow it down aerodynamically and changes will be made. But it will still be a Mustang in spirit. I just don’t want this incremental be gentle and gradual road to change like making the Mach 1 a EV sort of SUV Mustang. Just do it and be done with it.

And I want Tesla’s 10 rockets on the EV Mustang. If only to change the crashing Mustang image. The rockets will maintain stability and give extra traction from a dig...

Last edited:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Ford needs all the help it can get, and I personally don't have a problem with a Mustang inspired Sport CUV. The Blazer is Camaro inspired and it looks good to me.

If Ford gets it right they may have a huge seller with a Mustang inspired CUV. I would rather have a Turbo than EV so hopefully they will offer both.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The world is going electrified, but not totally electric. I was at a tech conference yesterday for a Tier I supplier who supplies a number of automakers, including Ford. They are projecting that by 2030, 70% of passenger vehicles will have ICE and 70% will have electrification. Now, before you do the math and cry foul, keep in mind that Hybrids and Plug-in Hybrids (PHEV) have both. They are projecting 30% with ICE, most also having Stop Start, 40% being Hybrids and PHEVs and 30% being Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV).

I would expect that Mustang would be one of the vehicles in the 70% with ICE. Ford has already said they are adding a hybrid model in 2020 or 21. Can they do a BEV Mustang? Of course they can. Should they or will they? I’d say probably not to both questions.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
If Ford wanted to strengthen it's car lineup with a four door Mustang like say AMG did with the AMG GT 63 S 4 door that would be cool. I'm not a fan of Mustang styling queues on a SUV.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
If Ford wanted to strengthen it's car lineup with a four door Mustang like say AMG did with the AMG GT 63 S 4 door that would be cool. I'm not a fan of Mustang styling queues on a SUV.
The last thing on Ford's mind right now is a car.

They need to build exceptional crossovers The Porsche CUV line accounts for nearly 50% of world wide sales. Small Sport CUVs are red hot and Ford is going to be beat to market by Chevy with the Camaro inspired Blazer. It will be interesting to see what Ford comes up with and what the sales figures will be for an EV Sport CUV.

Last edited:

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
Wow, Ford is losing it......

Yes, EVs are the future, but don't make an SUV styled after the Mustang...... That would be a disgrace to the long history of the Mustang. However, an electric Mustang CAR? Yes.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I have my suspicions that it will be a 100% EV. It will be a hybrid, with a much smaller battery and use a turbo engine with electric assist.

50mpg and does 0-60mph in 4s.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Wow, Ford is losing it......

Yes, EVs are the future, but don't make an SUV styled after the Mustang...... That would be a disgrace to the long history of the Mustang. However, an electric Mustang CAR? Yes.

Ford along with other car manufacturers have third party specialty car companies making their halo cars in secret with gag orders on the staff. It wouldn’t surprise me if someone, somewhere was driving what will be the future electric Mustang. Or, electric Corvette - you get the drift...

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I have my suspicions that it will be a 100% EV. It will be a hybrid, with a much smaller battery and use a turbo engine with electric assist.

50mpg and does 0-60mph in 4s.

Coming out in about a year or so...

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Actually, "Mach 1" (thankfully they've realised that name was not going to work for the Mustang faithful) is going to be a full EV, not a hybrid.

No doubt the hybrid system to be used in the next gen Explorer will be what is used in the next gen Mustang (and that uses electric motors in the 10-speed auto, combined with a traditional ICE)

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
The Mustang's design language hasn't changed all that much in 50+ years, and the name itself evokes the U.S. Old West and American WWII fighter planes. Hardly anything "modern" about it, which just might be part of the Mustang's appeal.

Certainly there must be something more in tune with the nature of EV propulsion to point the future of EV design toward.

Norm
The point I wanted to make was...Ford needs to break some new ground (no Mustang inference intended)
Sponsored