Mustang hybrid to be built in Michigan, Mustang inspired crossover in Mexico

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by Jarstang, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Jarstang

Jarstang Administrator
    Administrator

Vehicle(s):
    Ford
    0   0   0
    Per: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26884738/ford-mustang-hybrid-electric-suv-production/
    • Ford has announced production changes that coincide with pending requirements of the United States-Canada-Mexico Agreement (USCMA) and potential tariffs on imported vehicles.
    • Ford is adding more jobs to its Flat Rock, Michigan, plant than it had anticipated, including for a fleet of automated vans.
    • The Mustang hybrid and an unnamed electric crossover are still on schedule.
    Michigan auto workers will not build Ford's all-electric SUV as former CEO Mark Fields promised in 2017. Instead, auto workers at Ford's Cuautitlan, Mexico, plant who currently assemble the Fiesta will finish the Blue Oval's first ground-up EV, effectively axing the plan for the company's Flat Rock, Michigan, plant to produce all of its "long range" electric cars.

The Flat Rock plant, which currently builds the Mustang and the Lincoln Continental, will build the next-gen Mustang hybrid. Both the unnamed EV and the gas-electric Mustang are still scheduled to debut in 2020, most likely as 2021 models, and are part of an $11.1 billion push to sell 16 battery-electric and 24 hybrid models worldwide by 2022.

The EV's production move coincides with the next-gen Transit Connect van, currently built in Valencia, Spain, that will also move to Mexico and replace the Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ assembly line in Hermosillo. It's unclear what these moves mean for the future of the Continental and MKZ, as Lincoln has not yet made any announcements about dropping its sedan offerings as Ford has.

These announcements underscore company pressure to comply with the USCMA, which requires stricter compliance on labor and parts manufacturing for vehicles to qualify for zero-duty trade among the three nations. Otherwise, Ford would continue to pay 25 percent tariffs for imported vans; like the rest of the auto industry, the company is worried about threats by the Trump administration to instate such a tariff on all imported vehicles.

Despite retooling in Mexico, Ford is adding more jobs to the Flat Rock plant than the 700 jobs Fields had targeted when he announced it would also build autonomous vehicles for ride hailing and ride sharing. The automaker says it will add a second shift and create up to 900 new jobs at Flat Rock by 2023, which will include a dedicated center to convert existing hybrids into "purpose-built, commercial-grade" vehicles with "unique interiors" and at least Level 4 self-driving capability. These will be available in 2021. We suspect this will comprise a small fleet of automated Transit Connect vans that enterprising tech companies will use to ship packages and ferry passengers in very specific areas of the country.

w3rkn likes this.
  2. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo Super Moderator

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang '05 GT
    0   0   0
    Really surprised that the hybrid Mustang will debut on the S550 platform.........I'd have thought it would make more sense for it to appear on a platform (S650) designed with hybridization in mind from the get-go!

3. NoVaGT

NoVaGT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT Performance Pack
    0   0   0
    Ford is shitting the bed. I'll be switching to Chevy.

RaceRed5.0 and geddy lee like this.
  4. 1380KPOI

1380KPOI Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Poi Boy
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT Premium
    0   0   0
    I’m not sold on the idea

5. markham51

markham51 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle(s):
    16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
    0   0   0
    Time marches on. I have a 2020 GT500 on order (number one at my dealer) and I'll happily get one of those Mustang inspired SUVs for the Mrs. Their strategy seems right on to me!

6. Shipey

Shipey Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 DHG Bullitt.
    0   0   0
    It looks like Mustang gets the CD6 for MY 2021, thus the hybrid Mustang also on that chassis. S550 chassis is the last single purpose-built Mustang chassis.

The CD6 is an all-new design that accommodates front-, rear-, and all-wheel-drive products. The Explorer and Aviator will get the RWD/AWD version of the architecture, but Ford won’t stop there. According to “sources familiar with The Blue Oval’s future product plans,” the next Mustang will also go CD6.

Ford Authority reports the S650 “is on the way for the 2021 model year” and “won’t depart drastically from the established formula.” Among the changes that are bound to happen are aluminum construction and hybrid power.

Twin Turbo likes this.
  7. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo Super Moderator

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang '05 GT
    0   0   0

Depends on which source you believe :)

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/7th-generation-mustang-s650-moved-to-2022.104738/ (S650/23MY)

The '20MY will be rolling down the production lines in just a few months.........if S650 is a '21MY, we'd have seen some significant prototypes by now, but all we've seen is a very mildly camo'd S550.

8. Erik427

Erik427 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1979 Mustang
    0   0   0
    Maybe the changes that was made to the S550 is the new S650?
    Just speculating......

9. UNtamed67

UNtamed67 Silver Shadow

Vehicle(s):
    A couple...
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Let's hope they'll bundle electric and regular power like Volvo T series for example and not a prius concept with no extra power...

10. Z_Rocks

Z_Rocks Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Import
    0   0   0
    I'm actually shocked to hear that too. I thought the hybrid would go on the S650.
    Why the sudden rush?

11. Braski

Braski Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Blk GT Prem PP
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    I'm ok with a hybrid crossover but why would you call it a mustang?

Alej and PortalMaker like this.
  12. Bear376

Bear376 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 EcoBoost PP, 2013 Mustang, 2013 Flex, 2017 F150
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    What I have been seeing is that there will be a mild refresh of the S550 for MY2021 and MY2022. The hybrids will be produced at Flat Rock with an expansion of those facilities. The nearby stamping plant might be producing various components.

13. Braski

Braski Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Blk GT Prem PP
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    It looks like a Chevy with a mustang emblem. Maybe it's not just a hybrid crossover but a calibration with gm as well. Either way I think it's a silly idea! Screenshot_20190321-161526_Chrome.jpg

14. 5.0yote

5.0yote AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone

First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    5   0   0
    The problem I have with all the hybrid/E e-vehicles is that manufacturer wide support AND installation of world/nation wide charging stations have not been done. This seems to be counter intuitive to electric vehicles in general. As well, I watched a ST episode recently where Matt Farah could not find a charging station for a Jag E-pace he was driving, and the one he did find charged him $35 for 72 miles of charge. I fail to see the cost benefits at the present time justifying any electric vehicle. Tons of cars are nearly zero emissions as it is, its costlier and worse on the environment to dispose and create batteries, and you cannot use electricity to generate electricity so Oil, Nuclear, and other conventional means are still needed just to charge the vehicles.

RaceRed5.0 likes this.
  15. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Someone on the design team is influenced by the Fox 4-eye.....

16. w3rkn

w3rkn Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    bmw 135is(sold)
    0   0   0

Correct^.
    Not sure what the confusion is, the s650 is a 2023MY.

Ford announced the would delayed the s650 by one year. Which gives them a extra year to produce the current mustang line up (350 & 500 too) along with an electric torque assist (ie: hybrid) version... for the next few years before jumping (rushing) into the s650.

You won't charge the hybrid mustang, it electric power will be used on acceleration and charge while driving, or braking (perhaps).

I'll easily take an RS engine in a Mustang PP2 w/electric TQ acceleration.... (& so will most buyers.... that is, if you want performance and not just nostalgic for sound.)

Nagare and Derkluge like this.
  17. iBookmaster

iBookmaster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
    0   0   0
  18. 5.0yote

5.0yote AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone

First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    5   0   0
    Talking about the unamed EV crossover.

19. 68fbjjz109

68fbjjz109 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    15' GTPP
    0   0   0
    It seems there are talks its based on the VW MEB platform, likely what Ford would get from the Ranger VW deal.

20. GT Pony

GT Pony Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
    0   0   0
    So when Ford goes hybrid on the Mustang, are they also going to keep the V8 with no hybrid option? Anyone know what engine will be used in the hybrid Mustang?