Sponsored

2020 GT500 CFTP Destroys C8 Corvette - Motortrend Comparison Review

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
The re

ason why people are bragging is because we already have seen multiple times the real stats. Randy maxed the C8. It can’t do any better. Meanwhile inexperienced drivers are beating randy by a full second just about in the 500. Even on a regular street in horrible DA a youtube went 3.3 0-60. Randy wasn’t gunning to show off the 500. He was protecting the GM property - as he’s known to do.

But even if you want to pretend Randy’s stats haven’t been exposed as bologna, you have the 500 tearing the C8 a new bungholio where the C8 should own.

Now imagine if Randy was actually motivated to take the 500 to the limit. It would make the C8 look like a civic.

It’s nearly 2020. People know about the little tricks now. They learn to aggregate the info and see what’s what. Based on the whole of available info, the 500 tears the C8 up and down.
Randy doesn’t do the acceleration testing lol . Watch the track video , the base 500 is absolutely at the limit . Ford had a support team that races mustangs at the track to ensure proper set up too ( which has become standard for most companies ) .. both cars did extremely well and have abilities far beyond what most on this thread are capable of on track . At this point the dick measuring is getting ridiculous, come on people it’s just plan hard to launch a 760 hp car on a non prepped surface period . Nobody is sandbagging anything . Hell multiple journalists couldn’t get 10’s at a drag strip in Vegas yet one skilled you tuber did easily .
Sponsored

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
To be clear, in english, 1 of 2, is 1 of 2, not 2 of 2 lol. But we already knew logic amd comprehension were lacking.

Take off the r8 and the turbo s, they dont beat the 500 in the 1/4

Point being, i dont see the zl3ry1836 camaro or c8 z519997exniner on there, even with GM race team on standby.

You have to triple the price to get what an outdated mustang can do..

Lets play again. Name a 2020 car that, for under 80k msrp, can run 10s on a strip, AND sub 2: from motor trend

:)
“ don’t let truth get in the way of a good story “.
Mark Twain

That’s funny because my Turbo S ran a 10.48 stock in the real world and many R8’s have run Equal and faster than 10.66 in the real world on a drag strip and certainly would “destroy “ a 500 on a non prepped surface. 500 is an awesome car , I’m buying one but let’s stop acting like it beats everything all the time , it’s just not true . Cars with better power to weight ratios that are midengine or rear mid will kill it off the line on the street or the strip . From a roll is where the 500 will shine and I’m super excited Ford put so much work into how it functions on track as that’s what I’m buying it for. I could care less about 0-60. The 500’s trap speeds even when it obviously doesn’t hook up like in the motortrend acc testing is stout and tell the story on its potential when at the strip if the 1/4 mile is your thing . No one will be beating anything stoplight racing in these which is fine cause to me that’s just stupid lol. Things have become too focused on 0-60 which has very little to do with how great a car the 500 is !

JonEcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2011,13 Mustang GTs

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I don't have time to read 25 pages of this - so if someone else said this, apologies....

I think people are making way too much a fuss about the comparison. Manufacturers are making some great performing cars and they all go about it in different ways. I can say that the C8, with 200 more HP is not likely going to be behind any Mustang...and I'm the biggest Mustang fan. When the faster vettes come out, they are going to be awesome. IMO, ugly - but the performance will likely be there.

Snowwolfe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250, 2017 Expedition, 2019 Honda Civic
The review was also accomplished on 91 octane. Not a engineer, but would guess both the HP and TQ #'s were slightly down as a result compared to 93. Tire pressure and ambient temperature can also affect the times as well as how much gas was in the tank as well as how many cameras were hanging off to catch all the video. A couple of tenths difference on 0-60 and 1/4 times is normal between different testers. Try not to get to hung up on these minor differences that don't equate to a significant difference on the street.
The last 20 years have taught us performance changes every year. Today you might think you own the fastest and best handling car only to wait till next model year and find out the car is yesterdays news.

Last edited:

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I
And you do know we don’t live in a closed environment, right? People are connected now. We know things. You can’t push a narrative like you used to be able to do.

people know the 500 is tremendously faster because it’s been documented and proven.

the c8 has to be mangled just to manage its track numbers, which the 500 destroyed in.
This is especially amazing since the car was so obviously sandbagged.

Not only is the 500 proven significantly faster than the c8 in a straight line when driven by pretty much anyone but Randy, but ford rates its performance as such. And GM admits it’s slower in the 1320.

where the Vette WAS SUPPOSED TO WIN was in the track. It has the holy grail midengine layout, light weight, better aero, is a ground-up two seat platform, and a clean sheet design. In addition, it was tweaked to high heaven to get the best track numbers possible.

the vette was supposed to win the track contest. And they even distorted it to do so. Nowhere near the same attention was given to the 500. And it dominated.

That’s all we need to know.

the 500 is quick and faster in s straight line as shown by everyone except motor trend.

And it’s so ridiculously better on the track that even after sandbagging, they can’t deny its greatness in comparison.

That’s the real story here.

between the two, Ford built the better mousetrap.
I am not sure where you get
upload_2019-12-20_9-15-28.png
ing from. Show the proof, or is that your opinion and no one else's. Maybe the 10.6 tuber time is rigged. So then you believe everything on the internet.

If so, I have some mountain property in Louisiana for sale with a great view I am sure you would buy.

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
Why are we surprised the mustang top of the line model was able to beat the corvette base model C8? This is not a Grand Sport, not a Z06, not a ZR1.

I never expected a 495hp base model corvette to compete with mustangs top dog... heck if you want to really challenge this, the base model C8 still handily beats the GT PP2, and GT350.

The corvette is targeting the base model 911 and model S 911. Not the mustang.

I would have been shocked if a 760hp GT500 didn’t beat the base model C8.

Heck, I would have hoped the 662hp GT500 could beat the base model C7 too.

Best regards,
Dave

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Why are we surprised the mustang top of the line model was able to beat the corvette base model C8? This is not a Grand Sport, not a Z06, not a ZR1.

I never expected a 495hp base model corvette to compete with mustangs top dog... heck if you want to really challenge this, the base model C8 still handily beats the GT PP2, and GT350.

The corvette is targeting the base model 911 and model S 911. Not the mustang.

I would have been shocked if a 760hp GT500 didn’t beat the base model C8.

Heck, I would have hoped the 662hp GT500 could beat the base model C7 too.

Best regards,
Dave
If you've been around a while you would know that when the C8 was announced a million GM fans came onto this forum and bragged about how the C8 was going to destroy the GT500 and be a lot cheaper too.

Several threads on here are reactions to that.

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
where the Vette WAS SUPPOSED TO WIN was in the track. It has the holy grail midengine layout, light weight, better aero, is a ground-up two seat platform, and a clean sheet design. In addition, it was tweaked to high heaven to get the best track numbers possible.
x1000.

Everything the C8 won on were *inputs*. Who cares if the stats are better if they don't translate to track performance?

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
If you've been around a while you would know that when the C8 was announced a million GM fans came onto this forum and bragged about how the C8 was going to destroy the GT500 and be a lot cheaper too.

Several threads on here are reactions to that.
A million? Obviously another exaggeration like the word "destroys" over one test metric.

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
And you do know we don’t live in a closed environment, right? People are connected now. We know things. You can’t push a narrative like you used to be able to do.

people know the 500 is tremendously faster because it’s been documented and proven.

the c8 has to be mangled just to manage its track numbers, which the 500 destroyed in.
This is especially amazing since the car was so obviously sandbagged.

Not only is the 500 proven significantly faster than the c8 in a straight line when driven by pretty much anyone but Randy, but ford rates its performance as such. And GM admits it’s slower in the 1320.

the vette was supposed to win the track contest. And they even distorted it to do so. Nowhere near the same attention was given to the 500. And it dominated.

That’s all we need to know.

the 500 is quick and faster in s straight line as shown by everyone except motor trend.

And it’s so ridiculously better on the track that even after sandbagging, they can’t deny its greatness in comparison.

That’s the real story here.

between the two, Ford built the better mousetrap.
This ust needs to be auto replied to every GM still commenting

“ don’t let truth get in the way of a good story “.
Mark Twain

That’s funny because my Turbo S ran a 10.48 stock in the real world and many R8’s have run Equal and faster than 10.66 in the real world on a drag strip and certainly would “destroy “ a 500 on a non prepped surface. 500 is an awesome car , I’m buying one but let’s stop acting like it beats everything all the time , it’s just not true . Cars with better power to weight ratios that are midengine or rear mid will kill it off the line on the street or the strip . From a roll is where the 500 will shine and I’m super excited Ford put so much work into how it functions on track as that’s what I’m buying it for. I could care less about 0-60. The 500’s trap speeds even when it obviously doesn’t hook up like in the motortrend acc testing is stout and tell the story on its potential when at the strip if the 1/4 mile is your thing . No one will be beating anything stoplight racing in these which is fine cause to me that’s just stupid lol. Things have become too focused on 0-60 which has very little to do with how great a car the 500 is !
your 100% stock turbo S did? link to slip please. R8s have? link to slips

because at this point, 2 cars have hit the strip, both have run 10.66 and 10.61 so still, r8 is out. if you want to debate this futher, wait untl 3000 of the 500s have been delivered, and we can see the real owners numbers.. to keep the story straight i mean, cant get in the way of your story

if your arguing about non-prepped performance, your not really arguing. 1/4 mile times arent measured or times on the streets. they are on the track. 1 its illegal, 2 dangerous, 3 suboptimal, 4 innacurate.

anyone that 1/4 mile races on the street is 1- too young to afford any of the cars mentioned, 2, not even into real street racing as they always prep even commuter roads.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I think GM will really need to hit a certain price point. $100K+ base price is a huge jump vs C7 Z06 base price and will alienate a lot of buyers. Just for context in 2015 over 40% of all Corvette's sold that year were Z06's. That's a huge amount and they have a big owner base. But the 2015 Z06 started at $78,995.
I don’t understand why you’d use 2015 starting price.

the C8 was priced based on ‘19 C7 starting price. Therefore, add $3,000 to the Z06.

I see the C8 Z starting at $89,999 but really 100k with the performance package.

Above pricing will still be a bargain considering it’ll be a 3600lb, 600+hp
NA mid engine beauty.

but, there’s something to be said about the presence of the Shelby. It doesn’t scream, I’m a douche like a mid engine car does. It screams cool confidence.

Both cars are dream cars!

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
upload_2019-12-20_11-32-45.jpeg
This ust needs to be auto replied to every GM still commenting

your 100% stock turbo S did? link to slip please. R8s have? link to slips

because at this point, 2 cars have hit the strip, both have run 10.66 and 10.61 so still, r8 is out. if you want to debate this futher, wait untl 3000 of the 500s have been delivered, and we can see the real owners numbers.. to keep the story straight i mean, cant get in the way of your story

if your arguing about non-prepped performance, your not really arguing. 1/4 mile times arent measured or times on the streets. they are on the track. 1 its illegal, 2 dangerous, 3 suboptimal, 4 innacurate.

anyone that 1/4 mile races on the street is 1- too young to afford any of the cars mentioned, 2, not even into real street racing as they always prep even commuter roads.
Yes my 991.2 Turno S did , this was done on the front straight at Roebling raceway . Your beliefs don’t change the facts.
View attachment 420576
View attachment 420585
upload_2019-12-20_11-32-45.jpeg
upload_2019-12-20_11-40-32.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
x1000.

Everything the C8 won on were *inputs*. Who cares if the stats are better if they don't translate to track performance?
The gt500 was at the best track available for high hp cars. Have you seen the track layout? It reached 166mph on the back straightaway, that is moving. Both Car’s were neck and neck at last corner, but the hp advantage allowed the gt500 at last straightaway to win by the 1 sec plus. You take both to LS, Willow springs, streets of willow, and many others with small straights and more corners, do you think the results will be the same?

SergeyMelnik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sergey
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It did get destroyed especially if the C8 wouldn't have gotten a track alignment.

I remember when the 18 gt destroyed the camaro with its quarter mile time that evan smith got and the camaro guys were bitching and moaning that evan lowered the air pressure in the rear tires so they kept discounting the run cause it wasnt stock any more. This feels like history repeating itself except the other way around.
Sponsored