2020 GT500 CFTP Destroys C8 Corvette - Motortrend Comparison Review

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I
Proof is on you!I

FYI, I think yellow is the best to use use while responding to trolls!
I have a CFTP coming in February lol ...
Its incredible to have a pony car that can do more than go in a straight line( turns out it does that pretty damn well too for under 100k . I’m a road course guy and appreciate fast cars regardless of brand . We don’t need to make shit up on the 500 because it is badass as is. Motortrend and C&D can never get good acc numbers out of high Tq rwd cars just look back at the C7 Z06’s . It also has done 10’s in the 133-134 in stock auto form much like the 500 on the strip by owners who know what they are doing.
Sponsored

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
But, sticking with the OP of this thread, these are the stats and there is only one that people are bragging about and ignoring all of the others. Only 1 stat did the base GT500 beat the base C8.

upload_2019-12-19_20-55-43.png
Puff, puff and puff speaker of the gm party but if you impeach the Ford party there is nothing left to fit the bill! The current Ford mustang will never be able to out perform an non existent camaro! The existence of the C8 is there but the current models is not able to TRUMP the GT 500!

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I

I have a CFTP coming in February lol ...
Its incredible to have a pony car that can do more than go in a straight line( turns out it does that pretty damn well too for under 100k . I’m a road course guy and appreciate fast cars regardless of brand . We don’t need to make shit up on the 500 because it is badass as is. Motortrend and C&D can never get good acc numbers out of high Tq rwd cars just look back at the C7 Z06’s . It also has done 10’s in the 133-134 in stock auto form much like the 500 on the strip by owners who know what they are doing.
10's yes but better than a 10.6? I'm liking this bench racing! It's alot cheaper than actually showing up and running your car!!

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Yes we agree 100%. I would go so far as to say you basically repeated what I said.
We actually differed quite a bit. You said "They are making money on every car. It will just take longer to pay off all the up front investments at $60k per car than it would at $80k each." You brought up tooling, etc., sure, but I'm saying if they can't pay the R&D and tooling off in the C8's lifespan, they are selling them at a loss. Because those are items that are part of the investment to make the C8, in addition to the material and labor costs to build them.

If I spend 5,000 hours developing an amazing computer chip and spend $50M for the machinery to make it, and it retails for $100, and I make each one for $10, and I only sell 10 of them, you're logic dictates that I am making money since I make $90 on every chip. However, clearly, it is a financial loss. You have to sell enough in the given time frame of the life of your investment (i.e., life of the equipment or life span of the chip) to pay that back and then some, in addition to covering raw materials and labor to build it. If you can't, it's a loss because of the initial investment. The C8 is the same way. Just because it now costs $30k to build it, doesn't mean at $60k you've made money. You haven't made money until you pay everything back. I'm not an economist so I may not be explaining it very eloquently.

I think you saw "selling it at a loss" and automatically thought they are selling them for less than what they cost to build. That is not the case. They are definitely selling them for more than they cost to build, but according to the article, the base models aren't sold at high enough MSRP to pay the investment back in the life of the C8 (at base prices), therefore, it is overall a financial loss at base prices.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The re
But, sticking with the OP of this thread, these are the stats and there is only one that people are bragging about and ignoring all of the others. Only 1 stat did the base GT500 beat the base C8.

ason why people are bragging is because we already have seen multiple times the real stats. Randy maxed the C8. It can’t do any better. Meanwhile inexperienced drivers are beating randy by a full second just about in the 500. Even on a regular street in horrible DA a youtube went 3.3 0-60. Randy wasn’t gunning to show off the 500. He was protecting the GM property - as he’s known to do.

But even if you want to pretend Randy’s stats haven’t been exposed as bologna, you have the 500 tearing the C8 a new bungholio where the C8 should own.

Now imagine if Randy was actually motivated to take the 500 to the limit. It would make the C8 look like a civic.

It’s nearly 2020. People know about the little tricks now. They learn to aggregate the info and see what’s what. Based on the whole of available info, the 500 tears the C8 up and down.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
That the 'mild' C8 (Z51, magneride?) is indistinguishable from the CFTP (save lap time) despite being totally outclassed by tire width and compound, brakes and 250HP, I dare say the Corvette was very well done!

CFTP destroys nothing except it's faux superiority complex.

Put the C8 Z51 on equal footing WRT tires and maybe carbon wheels and the gap will be considerably less than the 4.7 seconds. If the base to CFTP gap is 3.4 seconds I dare say most of that is tire and maybe a little aero. The CFTP's time on the top step will be very brief indeed.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
That the 'mild' C8 (Z51, magneride?) is indistinguishable from the CFTP (save lap time) despite being totally outclassed by tire width and compound, brakes and 250HP, I dare say the Corvette was very well done! CFTP destroys nothing except it's faux superiority complex. Put the C8 Z51 on equal footing WRT tires and maybe carbon wheels and the gap will be considerably less than the 4.7 seconds. If the base to CFTP gap is 3.4 seconds I dare say most of that is tire and maybe a little aero.

The z51 was whooped by the 500 despite being lighter, a clean sheet platform, a 2 seat platform, and MIDENGINE! I’d say the 500 is the real showcase here.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
The re

ason why people are bragging is because we already have seen multiple times the real stats. Randy maxed the C8. It can’t do any better. Meanwhile inexperienced drivers are beating randy by a full second just about in the 500. Even on a regular street in horrible DA a youtube went 3.3 0-60. Randy wasn’t gunning to show off the 500. He was protecting the GM property - as he’s known to do.

But even if you want to pretend Randy’s stats haven’t been exposed as bologna, you have the 500 tearing the C8 a new bungholio where the C8 should own.

Now imagine if Randy was actually motivated to take the 500 to the limit. It would make the C8 look like a civic.

It’s nearly 2020. People know about the little tricks now. They learn to aggregate the info and see what’s what. Based on the whole of available info, the 500 tears the C8 up and down.
upload_2019-12-19_21-38-47.png

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Puff, puff and puff speaker of the gm party but if you impeach the Ford party there is nothing left to fit the bill! The current Ford mustang will never be able to out perform an non existent camaro! The existence of the C8 is there but the current models is not able to TRUMP the GT 500!
I can't quite read what you are saying, there is a big hot air balloon in the way

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
That the 'mild' C8 (Z51, magneride?) is indistinguishable from the CFTP (save lap time) despite being totally outclassed by tire width and compound, brakes and 250HP, I dare say the Corvette was very well done! CFTP destroys nothing except it's faux superiority complex. Put the C8 Z51 on equal footing WRT tires and maybe carbon wheels and the gap will be considerably less than the 4.7 seconds. If the base to CFTP gap is 3.4 seconds I dare say most of that is tire and maybe a little aero.
Billy Johnson said the carbon wheels are worth ~1 second over, I believe, forged aluminum wheels. The aero is probably another 0.5-1 second, with the tires making up the last 1.5 seconds or so over the base GT500. With the cool track temperatures, the Cup 2s I suspect weren't able to operate at max. grip. This is based on the relatively small difference in skid pad values of 1.01 g vs 1.05 g. I would expect the Cup 2 CFTP car to easily hit 1.1 g or better, considering the GT PP2 hit 1.13 g in the C&D comparison test and the '19 GT350 (not R) hit 1.09 g per C&D as well.

Keep in mind, to achieve that 4.7 second gap, the Z51 had to run in a track only camber setup. The GT500 was not set that way. Otherwise, in similar street setups, the CFTP GT500 is about 8 seconds faster than the Z51.

Similar to what others have said, the GT500 has a huge power advantage, but the mid-engine allows the Vette to take advantage of the 500 or so hp it does have much better than the FE RWD platform of the GT500, except in the higher speed straights, where the power of the GT500 overwhelms.

Essentially, both cars have advantages over the other in different places; the GT500 is power, the C8 is the mid-engine and a much lighter car.

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
911 GT2 RS
The 500 is awesome but it’s not a world killer.
McLaren 720S
911 GT3RS
911 GT2RS
911 Turbo S
Corvette Zr-1
Lamborghini huracan
Huracan performance
R8 V10 plus performance
Just to quickly name a few .
He said 1 of the 2 not both. And all of them
He's saying the GT 500 can beat them in 1 of 2 things. So which one of those cars can't the GT 500 beat in atleast 1 category?
To be clear, in english, 1 of 2, is 1 of 2, not 2 of 2 lol. But we already knew logic amd comprehension were lacking.

Take off the r8 and the turbo s, they dont beat the 500 in the 1/4

Point being, i dont see the zl3ry1836 camaro or c8 z519997exniner on there, even with GM race team on standby.

You have to triple the price to get what an outdated mustang can do..

Lets play again. Name a 2020 car that, for under 80k msrp, can run 10s on a strip, AND sub 2: from motor trend

:)

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

And you do know we don’t live in a closed environment, right? People are connected now. We know things. You can’t push a narrative like you used to be able to do.

people know the 500 is tremendously faster because it’s been documented and proven.

the c8 has to be mangled just to manage its track numbers, which the 500 destroyed in.
This is especially amazing since the car was so obviously sandbagged.

Not only is the 500 proven significantly faster than the c8 in a straight line when driven by pretty much anyone but Randy, but ford rates its performance as such. And GM admits it’s slower in the 1320.

where the Vette WAS SUPPOSED TO WIN was in the track. It has the holy grail midengine layout, light weight, better aero, is a ground-up two seat platform, and a clean sheet design. In addition, it was tweaked to high heaven to get the best track numbers possible.

the vette was supposed to win the track contest. And they even distorted it to do so. Nowhere near the same attention was given to the 500. And it dominated.

That’s all we need to know.

the 500 is quick and faster in s straight line as shown by everyone except motor trend.

And it’s so ridiculously better on the track that even after sandbagging, they can’t deny its greatness in comparison.

That’s the real story here.

between the two, Ford built the better mousetrap.

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Funny thing about this comparison is that the numbers for the GT500 are from a production car being delivered to customers...the C8 is pre-production and theoretical at this point, not a final product. This is not a valid way to make a comparison of this magnitude, especially for MT. It will be interesting to see if the numbers and performance for the C8 will be the same in production form with no tinkering from the engineers.

ParsonsWV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2002 C5
That the 'mild' C8 (Z51, magneride?) is indistinguishable from the CFTP (save lap time) despite being totally outclassed by tire width and compound, brakes and 250HP, I dare say the Corvette was very well done!

CFTP destroys nothing except it's faux superiority complex.

Put the C8 Z51 on equal footing WRT tires and maybe carbon wheels and the gap will be considerably less than the 4.7 seconds. If the base to CFTP gap is 3.4 seconds I dare say most of that is tire and maybe a little aero. The CFTP's time on the top step will be very brief indeed.
So a track alignment for the C8 means nothing? I am sorry but alignment means a lot on tracks. And this is from the engineers that I assume (?) used specs from the racers that tested the C8.
The C8 is also 400 pounds (roughly) lighter than the base gt500. Still the base gt500 is faster!

With your argument we will give the base car the CFTP tires and a race alignment and I bet it still beats the C8, without even having to move up to the CFTP.

You sir should move to the corvette forum so you can be praised for saying the lesser car is "better".