Sponsored

2020 GT500 cam covers

trevman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT3fiddy
Has anyone installed these on their GT350? I just bought a set and plan on powdercoating prior to install. I have heard the oil dipstick needs to be changed out - can anyone verify and let me know a part number?

20201202_120932.jpg
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Why do this swap?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I run them. My OEM tube (not the stick itself) worked fine. I did have to upgrade to the GT500 stick and tube extension for the GT500 oil pan, tho.

Sorry for the link. Am lazy

Last edited:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The AL is a bit better at dissipating heat and you cerakote them (read: badass!)
At first glance, that sounds a bit like a contradiction. Aluminum is a better conductor of heat while cerakote is an insulating coating. The regular composite valve covers are probably a decent insulator that keeps heat inside the head away from the wiring and so on. Does the cerakote keep the outside of the aluminum valve covers from getting too hot too?

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Got it. You'd have a hard time convincing me that there's a way to measure any heat dissipation benefit but you got me on the color ;) I'd lean more towards their durability with higher under hood temps that the 500 likely generates...with that blower right next to the covers. Probably stick with the ABS on mine ;)

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
At first glance, that sounds a bit like a contradiction. Aluminum is a better conductor of heat while cerakote is an insulating coating. The regular composite valve covers are probably a decent insulator that keeps heat inside the head away from the wiring and so on. Does the cerakote keep the outside of the aluminum valve covers from getting too hot too?
I should have noted more specifically that you *can* cerakote them to get custom colors. Mine aren't-I used a metalcast paint because I was cheap. I looked around and there are no cerakote shops near me, so I didn't read too much into the effects of cerakote.

Last edited:

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If you really want to kick over an ant pile, would you rather retain the heat under the valve covers or dissipate it into the engine bay?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Lol - someone is going to come along soon to argue one way or the other! ;)

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I run the covers as well as the GT500 oil pan. In regards to the dipstick, you can run your stock tube and stick with the covers and oil pan for that matter.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I run the covers as well as the GT500 oil pan. In regards to the dipstick, you can run your stock tube and stick with the covers and oil pan for that matter.
Are you sure about that? I measured the stock tube + dip stick and the GT500 dip stick + tube + extension tube and found the GT500 combo to be about a half inch longer. Not saying you're wrong, just more that my measurements implied they weren't compatible.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I hear ya. Asked a Ford engineer friend about it. He said the depth of my stock dipstick does not change in comparison to any oil pan I would have chosen. The pan does not change the depth reading that the engine wants. As we know it just takes more oil to get there with this pan. The GT500 dipstick and tube can be used without issue but the change in design for the GT500 was specifically to clear the strut/k-brace on that model.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I should have noted more specifically that you *can* cerakote them to get custom colors. Mine aren't-I used a metalcast paint because I was cheap. I looked around and there are no cerakote shops near me, so I didn't read too much into the effects of cerakote.
Ah! I get it, thanks. One thing though - I'm surprised to see the word "cheap" appear anywhere near "honeybadger" :)

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you really want to kick over an ant pile, would you rather retain the heat under the valve covers or dissipate it into the engine bay?
It won't be me - I don't think insulation or the lack of it matters. Where it does matter is if you want to run the FP GT500 oil separator. I wonder if anyone's put one of those on a Voodoo? The fittings in the box are specific to the GT500, or so it seems from the instructions.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The fittings in the box are specific to the GT500, or so it seems from the instructions.
Or the fittings are specific to the 500 cam covers, may be a better way to word it. There's a kit out there that comes with the cam covers and the oil separator.
Sponsored