Sponsored

2020 Explorer ST - a win

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So my 2018 S550 is in for some warranty work and my dealership was kind enough to provide a loaner during the interim.

I’m on an excellent rapport with my Dealership and have always been provided with a loaner when the vehicle will be in for service in excess of 24-48hrs.

In the past, I’ve had every Ford product available as a loaner... the most common being the Fusions or Explorers.

This time around I was extremely surprised - my loaner is a brand new 2020 Explorer ST! This is the Ford Performance package and it definitely lives up to the “performance” aspect.

All I can say is this truck (SUV) is definitively an improvement over any prior Explorer model.

For those seeking an Explorer and can afford the ST package - GET IT. If you haven’t driven one, go to a local dealer and test drive one, it’s not just another Explorer.

I’m not gonna go into ALL of the aspects because there’s plenty online to delve into for all the details on these new SUV’s.

Here’s the mini-specs on this one as equipped (and including some actual specs from Ford):
MSRP: $58k
Engine: 3.0 6cyl Ecoboost Twin Turbo / HP: 400
Trans: 10R60 (10spd w/ 7 drive modes)
Exterior: Black with blackout package and panoramic roof
Interior: Black w/ST trim and white stitching, 10” Portrait SYNC touch screen and 3-row seating.
360* parking feature
20” rims
——

For a 4,700+ lb SUV, when this thing is put into Sport Mode, hold on because it hauls ass!! If you thought a 10R80 propels an S550 quickly, the 10R60 pushes 4,700+ lbs just as fast without any hesitation. I mean, in all seriousness I’m not embellishing or BSing this comment.

Some may say, “eh, it’s only 400HP and there’s a Trackhawk from Jeep available with more HP”...

The Explorer ST even with 400HP is MORE THAN ENOUGH HP for a freaking People Hauler.... Sport mode, the gearing and the PCM parameters definitely makes this SUV “giddy up” and will surprise anyone as a passenger or the “stop light antagonists”.

Even with the Drive Mode in “Eco” or “Normal”, the 10R60 performance is excellent. The shifts are smooth and consistent, not jerky, delayed or laggy. The Driver also has the same option to use the paddle shifters and there is a “Manual” mode also just like the S550.

The redesign is extremely nice. The exterior is more aggressive looking and the interior is a vast improvement with better visibility and ergonomics for the driver. Complete digital dash is very nice.

There is a shitton of room inside - it seems to be bigger inside than previous models both in width and length.

One other note to mention:
2020 brings back the rear wheel drive to the Explorer line - and again, you can feel the definitive difference between the handling and acceleration of the new 2020 over the prior model years.

The 360* backup and parking features is wild - Ford NEEDS to put this into the S550 Mustang. It not only shows what is behind you when backing up, but also shows you a complete overhead 360* shot of the area you are parked in and the cars or objects on either side. The system also alerts as to how close you are to anything in the front, rear and both sides of the vehicle. Pretty damn cool.

Ford also needs to put the wireless phone charger into the S550 as well - definitely another cool feature on the Explorer. It’s integrated into the front of the center console so you just place your phone there and it insta-charges - no wires needed.

There’s just TOO many safety features and overall features with the options included on this ST to list out here - but IMO, well worth the MSRP of $58k. The Explorer ST starts at $55k and even at just the MSRP price point, the buyer is getting a shitton of truck AND performance for the money!

IMO, (hey Ford listen up) the only improvement needed is the brakes (both rotors and calipers) need to be much larger on the ST that is pushing 4,700+ and has 400HP. I can tell there is brake fade when coming down from the average 60-65mph on the interstates and local highways. The truck is also running on 20” rims and the brakes physically even look too small.

Excellent re-design overall and the ST package IMO is THE package to get IF someone wants the major fun factor in an SUV.

The top model, the Platinum package, also gets the 3.0, but that package is loaded with lots more “froofroo” and shiny parts.

Here’s (2) good reads from C&D about the ST package if anyone hasn’t been up on Explorers:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28108457/2020-ford-explorer-st-drive/

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28789910/2020-ford-explorer-st-by-the-numbers/

(Disclaimer: I don’t subscribe or care who the magazine review is by, only found and posted so folks can get some more insight about just the ST version)

I’ve been in it now going on 3rd week and I can actually attest that due to my driving route and distance driven the ST is getting 23.2 mpg - no kidding at all - and that’s not messing with the fuel MPG resets... That’s actual and true MPG using it in Normal and Eco modes. Now of course if you’re going to consistently play in Sport Mode, don’t expect a 4,700+lb 400HP Beast to get anywhere near 23mpg... LOL
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I still feel the Explorer ST engine should have been in the Edge ST.
I would really enjoy my Fiesta at ~2700 lbs if it had that engine and an AWD system in it. Of course, I wouldn't put up with the automatic transmission, but the 400 hp sounds pretty good.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I would really enjoy my Fiesta at ~2700 lbs if it had that engine and an AWD system in it. Of course, I wouldn't put up with the automatic transmission, but the 400 hp sounds pretty good.
Kind of surprised they didnt make a Fiesta RS after the Focus RS. There were some AWD rally versions. Fiesta with the Focus ST engine and AWD? that would have been balls fun. Fiesta was selling well too. They should have killed the Focus, then kept the Fiesta for a few more years.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Kind of surprised they didnt make a Fiesta RS after the Focus RS. There were some AWD rally versions. Fiesta with the Focus ST engine and AWD? that would have been balls fun. Fiesta was selling well too. They should have killed the Focus, then kept the Fiesta for a few more years.
That would have been sweet. I would definitely buy an AWD Fiesta with 300+ hp. Even the 252 that the Focus ST had would be acceptable (just barely). :wink:

IMO the Fiesta already has the high ride height and jellybean shape of the typical CUV. It's less of a car and more CUV/SUV in the seating position as well.

Sponsored

Shewantsthe5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT, 2014 Black Jeep SRT
Being a Sporty SUV owner I drove the new Explorer ST just to see how it compares to my SRT Jeep and I'm honestly quite surprised. Its extremely quick (slightly slower than the SRT Durango or Jeep), the 10r60 is amazing in every vehicle it goes into so no surprise there and 3 rows of seating who can complain. My only complaint it the lack of instant torque that the 392 Hemi has but it still has the subtle SUV look that only other car people will notice.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh yea, forgot to mention this:

The driver and passenger seat have complete built in fully integrated back massagers!! LMAO, I was like “whut!?!?” - complete functional and adjustable massagers while you’re driving (or sitting idle)....

LOL - what will the car manufacturers come up with next... maybe a seat that has a built in toilet that dispenses as you go, kinda like a “Spy Hunter” defense mechanism...

Last edited:

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
I've been eyeing them up for awhile, but I decided I didn't want an extremely expensive car payment especially since I'm planning a full build on my Mustang. I'm picking up a 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum with the 3.5L Ecoboost that has 365 HP instead as my new daily driver. The 3.5L moves out pretty good as well with the 6 spd. auto. I'm contemplating on whether to tune it or not or just leave it alone.LOL The 2017 Platinum has the seat messagers as well. I've seen videos with people running a 93 tune, 3 bar MAP sensor, CAI and cat-back in the low 13's in the 1/4. Even more with upgraded down pipes.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been eyeing them up for awhile, but I decided I didn't want an extremely expensive car payment especially since I'm planning a full build on my Mustang. I'm picking up a 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum with the 3.5L Ecoboost that has 365 HP instead as my new daily driver. The 3.5L moves out pretty good as well with the 6 spd. auto. I'm contemplating on whether to tune it or not or just leave it alone.LOL The 2017 Platinum has the seat messagers as well. I've seen videos with people running a 93 tune, 3 bar MAP sensor, CAI and cat-back in the low 13's in the 1/4. Even more with upgraded down pipes.
If you don’t mind me asking, what will your approx. out the door price be for the 2017 you’re looking to buy?

Also are you a member over on the “explorerforum.com”? I’ve been a member over there since we had owned a prior 2004 Explorer years ago. I’ve been following that site for a bit and it seems the last 2 Generations have been really geared towards a performance aspect rather than just being another SUV on the road.

Yea, the 3.0 TT is 400HP @ 415 torque. It definitely moves 4700lb+ without any hesitation.

I can see why folks are migrating to SUV’s - not only for safety and visibility being wrapped in a larger vehicle, but if you can get an SUV to move like a sports car - the buyer segment will migrate.

I’m waiting to see what the 2021 Full Size Bronco will not only look like but what it will bring as far as performance and price point. I have no interest in a 4-door “baby Bronco”, IMO a Bronco should never be a 4-door...

If the Bronco isn’t “all that” as is being hyped, the 6th Gen 2020 Explorer ST (or prior 5th Gen w/3.5) is definitely at the top of the list for an SUV that is Performance oriented (fun factor) and best bang for the buck.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
I still love my 2015 Black Explorer Sport as my dd (peppy enough though starting to show its age...well because I am) but this is on my radar once my 19 Shelby is well paid for ;-)
I think it may be a test drive I do soon when getting the Sport in for recall work (rear links).
Thanks for sharing - bty purchase includes a day in Utah at the Ford Perf off-road school does it not? They're not Raptors but deserve the respect of learning what they can do.

Sponsored

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
If you don’t mind me asking, what will your approx. out the door price be for the 2017 you’re looking to buy?

Also are you a member over on the “explorerforum.com”? I’ve been a member over there since we had owned a prior 2004 Explorer years ago. I’ve been following that site for a bit and it seems the last 2 Generations have been really geared towards a performance aspect rather than just being another SUV on the road.

Yea, the 3.0 TT is 400HP @ 415 torque. It definitely moves 4700lb+ without any hesitation.

I can see why folks are migrating to SUV’s - not only for safety and visibility being wrapped in a larger vehicle, but if you can get an SUV to move like a sports car - the buyer segment will migrate.

I’m waiting to see what the 2021 Full Size Bronco will not only look like but what it will bring as far as performance and price point. I have no interest in a 4-door “baby Bronco”, IMO a Bronco should never be a 4-door...

If the Bronco isn’t “all that” as is being hyped, the 6th Gen 2020 Explorer ST (or prior 5th Gen w/3.5) is definitely at the top of the list for an SUV that is Performance oriented (fun factor) and best bang for the buck.
Out the door price is going to be about 35.6K at Carmax. It's got 25K miles on it and is in beautiful shape. It's in the color(Blue Jeans Blue) that my wife and I really love. The Platinum has every amenity humanly possible and all the safety features you could want like blind spot monitoring, lane shift alert and even front camera with parking sensors. The only thing I don't really care for is that the Platinum has too much bling on the exterior compared to the Sport model. I'm likely going to black out all the titanium color(chrome) trim and paint the wheels black as well. I'm even going to try and install a set of quad tip exhaust tips on it for that performance look I really like on the 18 and up Sports and Platinums. I don't belong to any Explorer forums yet as this is my first SUV or Truck for that matter in my life. I've always had rwd sports cars and a 4 door family car. I know I'll end up modifying the Explorer at some point as its in my nature to do so. If I can get it fast enough to run a low 13 1/4 and haul all the family and gear around, that's a win in my book:)

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still love my 2015 Black Explorer Sport as my dd (peppy enough though starting to show its age...well because I am) but this is on my radar once my 19 Shelby is well paid for ;-)
I think it may be a test drive I do soon when getting the Sport in for recall work (rear links).
Thanks for sharing - bty purchase includes a day in Utah at the Ford Perf off-road school does it not? They're not Raptors but deserve the respect of learning what they can do.
Yes, correct about the ST and the Ford Perf school enrollment. It even says it on the window sticker for the ST’s.

Here’s a thread about it from the Explorer forum:
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/st-suv-experience-driving-program.480128/

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
IMO, (hey Ford listen up) the only improvement needed is the brakes (both rotors and calipers) need to be much larger on the ST that is pushing 4,700+ and has 400HP. I can tell there is brake fade when coming down from the average 60-65mph on the interstates and local highways. The truck is also running on 20” rims and the brakes physically even look too small.
You can get bigger brakes, just get the street or track handling pack. Both packs also get 21" wheels. Also you mentioned the platinum also gets the 3.0 L ecoboost, it does but it's detuned down to 365 hp, only the ST gets the 400 hp version.

I test drove one to see how it compares to my 18' sport and in normal driving mode it's about the same, but put it in sport mode and wow, what a difference. The size is virtually the same as the previous generation, overall length is within a half of and inch, but wheelbase grew by 6" and it's all in the front. By going from a FWD based platform to a RWD they were able to push the front axle forward giving the driver and front passenger a lot more room in the footwell. A common design flaw of fwd vehicles is the cramped footwell, it's because the transaxle is mounted behind the engine and it pushes the axle centerline closer to the driver compartment and into the footwell. By eliminating the fwd design, they can push the axle centerline forward giving a lot more legroom.

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Here's a couple of pics of my new daily driver...2017 Ford Explorer Platinum. Color is called Blue Jeans which is a beautiful dark blue metallic.
IMG_0400.jpg
IMG_0401.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I still feel the Explorer ST engine should have been in the Edge ST.
The Edge ST's problem has nothing to do with the 2.7L engine and all to do with the very blah suspension & chassis tuning for an "ST" product. Just keep calling it "Sport" if you're not going to do anything but put a more powerful engine in.
Sponsored