Ford unveils 2020 explorer

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Today Ford officially revealed the 2020 explorer at Ford Field in Detroit, the video actually starts at the 5:00 mark. It was live streamed at 7:00 EST If you want to skip the BS, jump to the 20:30 mark

More details will be released on Monday Jan 14
Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Here is the Explorer ST.
C9D6B07A-99CE-41F0-9709-6BFD530BEEFA.jpeg

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Looks damn good! It'll be interesting to see how many vehicles they're able to spawn from this platform, and how well they do at reducing weight. Given that this is their new RWD platform, that will also underpin the next gen Mustang, my hope is that they finally bring us a proper RWD sedan, a la, the Falcon. I'd hate to give up my Mustang, but with typical family constraints, having a RWD sedan with Mustang running gear is at the top of my 'hopes and dreams' list.

JR

OP
OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Ford just put up an info page under future vehicles today, it wasn't there last night, I looked.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2020/
I saw it last night after 10 EST! Am I alone in thinking it doesn't look dramatically different from the outside? Not a bad thing of course, but just noting. I do wonder how much different the handling/driving characteristics will be.

Sponsored

OP
OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I saw it last night after 10 EST! Am I alone in thinking it doesn't look dramatically different from the outside? Not a bad thing of course, but just noting. I do wonder how much different the handling/driving characteristics will be.
I heard ford did that intentionally, the current model is a big seller and a good looking SUV, so they didn't want to change it much. Drive your mustang then jump in a 13+ fusion and drive it, that will tell you the difference. The current explorer is fwd based, while the new one is rwd. The overall length changed by about 1/8" but the wheel base grew by about 6"

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Did anyone drive or buy a ST yet? I might replace my truck with one. Tow rating is lower than I'd like but other than that it looks awesome!

OP
OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
My daily is an 18 explorer sport, when the ST's started to show up on the lots my dealer let me have one for a couple hours. In normal mode it feels about like my sport does, but put it in sport mode and it changes the throttle mapping and shift points and it drives a lot snappier and you can feel the 400 horses. Also the foot well is a lot bigger and you have a lot more room for your left foot. The 11-19's were fwd based so they had the huge hump in the foot well like all fwd vehicles have, the 20's went back to a rwd platform and the wheel base grew by 6 inches and it's all in the front end, that foot well hump is gone now. Great news for us tall guys.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My daily is an 18 explorer sport, when the ST's started to show up on the lots my dealer let me have one for a couple hours. In normal mode it feels about like my sport does, but put it in sport mode and it changes the throttle mapping and shift points and it drives a lot snappier and you can feel the 400 horses. Also the foot well is a lot bigger and you have a lot more room for your left foot. The 11-19's were fwd based so they had the huge hump in the foot well like all fwd vehicles have, the 20's went back to a rwd platform and the wheel base grew by 6 inches and it's all in the front end, that foot well hump is gone now. Great news for us tall guys.
I saw a white one in person today and it really caught my eye. I might have to go and test drive one!

OP
OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
when you do drive one, make sure you floor it in normal mode then do it again in sport mode to feel the difference. You'll want one after that, but be warned most ST's are stickering around 58-60K. A lot of the early build ones are having growing pains, you might want to wait for a late 20 or a 21. When my lease is up on my 18 I'm getting an ST, but that won't be until spring of 22. They should have all the glitches out by then, and maybe add a few more goodies that is not offered now like maybe a V8 option or at least 50 more hp out of the 3.0 ecoboost

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
when you do drive one, make sure you floor it in normal mode then do it again in sport mode to feel the difference. You'll want one after that, but be warned most ST's are stickering around 58-60K. A lot of the early build ones are having growing pains, you might want to wait for a late 20 or a 21. When my lease is up on my 18 I'm getting an ST, but that won't be until spring of 22. They should have all the glitches out by then, and maybe add a few more goodies that is not offered now like maybe a V8 option or at least 50 more hp out of the 3.0 ecoboost
Trust me, I will floor it and I learned my lesson about buying 1st year with my gt!:like:
Sponsored