Sponsored

2020 Auto selector?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Is there any more info on the 500's DCT?

Who makes it? Number of gears?

Ford doing a DCT is a bit scary to me.
7 gears per the Ford info.(go to media.ford.com) Tremec box. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sh...stang-gt500-mid-engine-corvette-transmission/ and http://www.tremec.com/anexos/File/TREMEC_TR-9007.DCT.pdf

DCT is a pretty mature technology. The Fiesta/Focus DCT's main problem I think was it was a dry clutch design. I think most, if not all, of the others are wet clutch.
Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
While I fully endorse the idea of driving your dream car to work, Costco or even African Lion Safari (or whatever your local drive through amusement park is). I would be paralyzed as to places I could go. I wouldn’t enjoy myself at dinner wondering if some idiot trying to park is backing into my car. That’s what my V6 is for. Like you I have one big purchase in cars coming up before I retire and that car is a garage queen with some non-stop trips for fun or to a car show.

Man, I even worry about a V6! If I did buy the Z06 I put a hold on last spring I would not be parking it anywhere. The car is low and idiots keep bashing into them. Plus if you crack that space frame your Z06 is totalled! No DD for me...
I guess that’s why you keep full coverage insurance with a $500 deductible, and get your car clear wrapped and ceramic coated. Plus, we’re talking about a sub-$100k Shelby here, not a $300k super car, it’s made with the convenience of being able to DD it in mind. :p

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
It just doesn’t look right on the center console to me. I would much rather see something like a button on the steering wheel where u can change modes or completely electronic controls where u select park or drive on the 12 inch cluster. Of course someone would forget to put it in park.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
completely electronic controls where u select park or drive on the 12 inch cluster. Of course someone would forget to put it in park.
It automatically shifts into Park. See: Lincoln

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
It automatically shifts into Park. See: Lincoln
Eh I feel like someone would find a way to mess with it and sue Ford but the cleanest approach would be a system like the Lincoln one you mention. Then maybe if you press a paddle shifter it goes to manual and if you tap both left and right together it goes back to drive (something ford should’ve programmed in other mustangs). That way it avoids you having to look for a button to take it out of manual.

Sponsored

GTFURY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, PP1, 401A, A10, Magneride
The rotary dial is the only thing about the GT500 that I'm just not feeling. Having driven a lot or rentals with that interface, it just feels clumsy. It's easy to rotate it too far or not far enough. You have to focus on it and you shouldn't. With a shift lever, it's easy to just hop in press the button and slam it back into drive. You do it without thinking or focusing on that. Not a deal breaker but a bit disappointing. I do like the e-brake button, much cleaner than the big old lever.

regular6g

Threads
Reaction score
Yes count me as someone who would never buy a Automatic in a sports car....it's blasphemy!

(Disclaimer, I drove the Automatic and not only did I end up loving it, but I paid Ford more money too!!!!)

Why is Mom always right, "you never know until you try it she always says.

But I will never buy a rotary automatic....until I do......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ericc B

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
I would really welcome that enlarged area in the front of the dial and the ebrake to contain a wireless phone charger.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
All this complaint about the rotary, is everyone ignoring the magnesium shift paddles behind the steering wheel?

I mean you touch the rotary knob maybe 3 or 4 times per drive. Maybe only twice if you don't have to back out of your parking spot. The rest of it is handled via the paddles or just letting it do its thing.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
All this complaint about the rotary, is everyone ignoring the magnesium shift paddles behind the steering wheel?

I mean you touch the rotary knob maybe 3 or 4 times per drive. Maybe only twice if you don't have to back out of your parking spot. The rest of it is handled via the paddles or just letting it do its thing.

I hate to quote the obvious, but paddles will never replace the sensual pleasure of fondling, stroking and even manhandling that physical phallic symbol we have in the cars we love, that sticks up hard and erect from the center console.

Well - someone had to say it! :thumbsup:

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I hate to quote the obvious, but paddles will never replace the sensual pleasure of fondling, stroking and even manhandling that physical phallic symbol we have in the cars we love, that sticks up hard and erect from the center console.

Well - someone had to say it! :thumbsup:
No. Just no. No one "had" to say what you said in the slightest. Y'all enjoy your time in this thread. I'm out after that paragraph of strange.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
No. Just no. No one "had" to say what you said in the slightest. Y'all enjoy your time in this thread. I'm out after that paragraph of strange.

Same thoughts for the hand brake...

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
My Acura has the push button gear select and electric e brake. I have to bring a water bottle everywhere I go in it just so my hand has something to hold. It's fine for an SUV but it would drive me crazy in a muscle car. The lack of an e brake with a handle in this kind of car blows my mind. I get this is where technology is headed but part of what I love about the mustang is how it still feels like an old muscle car grunting and growling and bouncing all over as I cruise down the road.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
This so called muscle/pony car is becoming like a Honda Accord or worse an Audi with its electronic handbrakes and autos.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Its go-fast technology. Same as Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Porsche and the Ford GT. From all the butthurt it sounds like this car will never sell and there will be reduced priced GT500s on every lot waiting to be picked up by the technocrats for a song. I'm only disappointed they didn't do this in 2015.
Sponsored