corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I wonder if there's a business opportunity for somebody willing to yank the rotary dial out of the console, turn it on its side, and stick a proper lever on it to make it turn through the PRND.

Norm
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I wonder if there's a business opportunity for somebody willing to yank the rotary dial out of the console, turn it on its side, and stick a proper lever on it to make it turn through the PRND.

Norm

There will be but it will be connected by a wire.

All arguments aside this is the first Shelby I am seriously considering. I stated my case in the GT500 forums and I am too lazy to punch it out again so here is the cut and paste of it:

“I was driving through the neighbourhood this morning and now V6 Man is the last Mustang left standing...

The other one was this GT that is now replaced by a new Honda. The previous turn coat now has a Maserati Ghibli so I can’t criticize too much for that one. The yellow GT only has people movers in the two driveways.

So I am it. Passed 20 years driving Mustangs and three new Mustangs. In fact every new car has been a Mustang. Like some guys here I can now count my driving years with Mustangs in decades now!

Anyway, when I saw the first promo video I actually laughed seeing the car on some back road all by itself. Who are we kidding! A GT350 makes perfect sense for that. This car is all about the street and intimidation! This is an “in your face” street racer - snakes and all - I love it!

I was always a street racer from the first time I drove my first 5.0 off the lot to this grey haired old fart doing it in a V6. I was going to get a Vette but I am actually seriously thinking about this car. I know the dealer near me who will bring these in and like the other GT350s when the first go the ADM will go if you can buy one cash on the spot. So the V6 stays as the DD and Mustang number 4 is this over the top Shelby meant for the same thing: street racing! This is the first Shelby that I ever connected to. I even like the way they styled it! So I’m keeping an eye on the first real reviews and owner experiences. If those are solid I may end up with one in the garage.

Nobody is more surprised about this than me!”

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You're not going to get anywhere. Some people just like to show off to their buddies that their car is like a "race car" with its paddle shifter or how fast it does the quarter mile (which is somewhat pointless when you can just buy a Tesla for that)

Tesla’s can be beat. Especially in the winter, even by a V6 Mustang...

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mustang-beats-tesla.115770/

Once that “legend” of invincibility is beaten by reality, you start to notice the shortcomings like the four doors and cheap styling. That’s what happpened to me...

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Possible, but that's kind of a weenie way to avoid the issue.

I've driven a car that had both paddles and a +/- gate.

Norm
I would argue that giving options of both the manual +/- pull of the auto shifter alongside paddles is the exact opposite of a “weenie” move as it allows consumers to use their preference.
Need to force a quick downshift to pass someone on the street? Pull the paddle. Want more engaged full manual shifting? Pop the shifter to the left and pull up/down.

Honestly, IMO, BMW did it best years ago with that transmission they had/have that allows a full manual row alongside an auto-mode. In traffic? Auto. Having fun? Row those gears! :p

I dunno, I like options. :clap:

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Honestly, IMO, BMW did it best years ago with that transmission they had/have that allows a full manual row alongside an auto-mode.
Still have. Had it in my 2009, have it in my 2015.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still have. Had it in my 2009, have it in my 2015.
Is it available on any of their redesigned cars, though? ie: 2019 M5, M850 (or whatever number it is :p ), M760, M550, new 3-series, etc? I haven’t seen it on any of the updated models, though, admittedly, I don’t follow BMW too closely :p

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it available on any of their redesigned cars, though? ie: 2019 M5, M850 (or whatever number it is :p ), M760, M550, new 3-series, etc? I haven’t seen it on any of the updated models, though, admittedly, I don’t follow BMW too closely :p
The 2018 M2 I drove a few months ago had it, as do the 2019 M2 Competition, the 2019 4-series, and the new Z4.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2018 M2 I drove a few months ago had it, as do the 2019 M2 Competition, the 2019 4-series, and the new Z4.
How do you like the transmission? I haven’t played with one in years, I remember it being “neat” to be able to switch back and forth in such a manner, though! :sun:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do you like the transmission? I haven’t played with one in years, I remember it being “neat” to be able to switch back and forth in such a manner, though! :sun:
Could never get into it (and I've had that setup since 2009), using it perhaps 30 times in the last 10 years. I spent a long time driving manual-only (and my GT on order is a manual), but I found that I was never better than the ECU in picking the right gear, and just tended to forget about it over time.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could never get into it (and I've had that setup since 2009), using it perhaps 30 times in the last 10 years. I spent a long time driving manual-only (and my GT on order is a manual), but I found that I was never better than the ECU in picking the right gear, and just tended to forget about it over time.
Sounds like me and the paddles on my 2019 after the ecu “learned” how I drive :handshake:

sZedely

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
One important oversight so far is how am I supposed to play in a snow-covered parking lot without a handbrake? Sometimes you need it to swing that a** around or to pull you straight. I guess that I'll have to pass on ordering this model.... JK:crackup:

38672d1327038775-image-889348952.png

Photo courtesy of https://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f168/t297868/

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
I hate the e brake in our CX5. Aside from the lack of tactile feedback, once it's set after a few seconds the light goes out and I can't tell if I set it.

The shift dial just screams "parts bin". It's totally wrong for the car. It's like the toughest Mustang on the block showing up in Fusion panties.

They could have done something that would have been a real feature, a beefy stick where you bang out shifts like a racing sequential gear box. That's much more in character with the car than dainty flappy paddles and a dial and probably more palatable to the manual purists.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Does Ford officially say they're made out of magnesium? When I felt them at the show they felt like cheap plastic and were even a little loose. I'm guessing it's because it's pre-production but they didn't feel nearly as good as the Raptor paddles for example.
1st topic they cover

https://jalopnik.com/twelve-badass-details-on-the-2020-ford-mustang-shelby-g-1831773583

Just curious, how are those shift paddles working for you when the steering wheel is in, let's say, a 90 or 180 degree position?
This is the exact reason why every car company should column-mount their paddles.
In what situation are you turning the wheel that hard and making upshifts or downshifts? If you're accelerating a 700hp car with the wheel turned 90 or 180 degrees you will spin out lol.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
In what situation are you turning the wheel that hard and making upshifts or downshifts? If you're accelerating a 700hp car with the wheel turned 90 or 180 degrees you will spin out lol.
At least a couple times every lap at HPT. There's a hard right hand coming from about 80 to 30, a left hander going from about 70 to 30, and the final left hander going from about 70 to 40. Corners are greater than 90 degrees and I shift from 3rd to 2nd on each corner. Go crank your wheel around those corners and get back to me on where your paddles are.
Sponsored