Sponsored

2020 Auto selector?

Deleted member 35644

I've been driving around resting my right hand on a shifter for 33 years. Most of those years were spent rowing my own, which helped develop the habit. I don't think I could get used to this.
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I get the enthusiast thing, but you get driving pleasure out of the way the parking brake clicks?
Yes, levers and cables and the ability to “feel” the braking and adjust accordingly - such as noticing a police cruiser hiding behind a bridge and slowing down a bit without my brake lights flashing. And how about a real cable (and not electrical cable) for the throttle- yes I can feel the difference in response! This is for performance cars for enthusiasts.

I’m not as anal as Norm about a manual transmission but this is going a bit too far. I’d even put a physical hand brake in an electric car for that last gasp of a physical connection to the road.

Wow, listen to me now... :shock:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
If the DCT makes it to the GT , I am going to be sorely tempted to get it.
Not a fan of DCTs off the track. In the real world, lurching often becomes an issue. I do wonder how the GT500 is going to handle traffic.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Not a fan of DCTs off the track. In the real world, lurching often becomes an issue. I do wonder how the GT500 is going to handle traffic.
Yes, it has to be a GOOD DCT , I only really have experience with the PDK which is great in full auto mode , and the Focus , which had it's issues.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Traffic? Who is driving this to work?

This reminds me of a review of the first racing Hemis out on sale for street cars probably for some racing regulations. Anyway the gripe was that the motor would judder and stall at traffic lights... :cwl:

God I’m old... :crying:

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I turn a rotary dial to adjust the HVAC not to put the car in drive. I will NEVER buy a Mustang with a rotary dial meant for HVAC. Get that crap outttttaaaaaaa here! But the dial doesn't really matter to me because my sports cars come in manual transmission or I'll look elsewhere.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I turn a rotary dial to adjust the HVAC not to put the car in drive. I will NEVER buy a Mustang with a rotary dial meant for HVAC. Get that crap outttttaaaaaaa here! But the dial doesn't really matter to me because my sports cars come in manual transmission or I'll look elsewhere.

Just curious: What happens when there are no more performance cars with a manual to look elsewhere?

Last edited:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Just curious: What happens when there are no more performance cars with a manual to look elsewhere?
We'll all be dead by that time.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
We'll all be dead by that time.
Im thinking in an autonomous car universe a manual would be looked at as too dangerous for the road as that car would not be talking and responding to other cars on the internet. The quirks of the driver are too unreliable to have such “deviates” on the road. You must turn in your 2018 GT or face the consequences! GT owner screams: Give me a stick shift or give me death! (later, the same GT owner buys a Tesla with a 36” touch screen and VR helmet and PlayStation with toy stick shifter...)

“Not the Real thing - But an incredible simulation!”

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Is there any more info on the 500's DCT?

Who makes it? Number of gears?

Ford doing a DCT is a bit scary to me.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
At that point, I'll hold onto what I have or be dead and gone.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I guess I prefer a more mechanical approach except when chasing lap times.
But for an auto, how often are you touching it that it would really bother you? Personally, I prefer this over those electronic joystick-like shifters since it stays rotated to what you selected. I do prefer the current mechanical shifter, but, personally, this doesn’t bother me too much, mostly because it frees up room for a larger phone storage area (probably a wireless charging pad) and it’s def better than the electronic shifters (IMO). I’m not a huge fan of the electronic hand brake, but, in all of my autos, I think I’ve actually engaged mine less than once per year.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Traffic? Who is driving this to work?
Work? Try coming to Massachusetts. I've sat in traffic at 5am on a Saturday morning 20 miles south of Boston. Only way you'll avoid driving it in traffic is if it's always on a trailer.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Work? Try coming to Massachusetts. I've sat in traffic at 5am on a Saturday morning 20 miles south of Boston. Only way you'll avoid driving it in traffic is if it's always on a trailer.
I think he’s trying to say that no one is going to get a GT500 and daily drive it, which is horribly misguided, as lots of people keep a Shelby as their DD. Pending several things, the new GT500 may be my new DD in 2-3 years. :p

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I think he’s trying to say that no one is going to get a GT500 and daily drive it, which is horribly misguided, as lots of people keep a Shelby as their DD. Pending several things, the new GT500 may be my new DD in 2-3 years. :p

While I fully endorse the idea of driving your dream car to work, Costco or even African Lion Safari (or whatever your local drive through amusement park is). I would be paralyzed as to places I could go. I wouldn’t enjoy myself at dinner wondering if some idiot trying to park is backing into my car. That’s what my V6 is for. Like you I have one big purchase in cars coming up before I retire and that car is a garage queen with some non-stop trips for fun or to a car show.

Man, I even worry about a V6! If I did buy the Z06 I put a hold on last spring I would not be parking it anywhere. The car is low and idiots keep bashing into them. Plus if you crack that space frame your Z06 is totalled! No DD for me...
Sponsored