OP

kipp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kipp
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Had my 2018 in the dealership with same trouble the other day and said could not replicate. Wife brought home car, I went out in driveway and I could get it to replicate problem. Our Car does it intermittently when driving sometimes as well. Have you figured out the trouble yet? Someone said to check out fuse #23 on interior fuse box for loose connection
I have not done the work yet. Life events and weather are not allowing me yet to pursue anything yet. If I find the problem, I will definitely post the findings.
Sponsored

OP
OP

kipp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kipp
Vehicle(s)
When this happens and you are driving, do you get a message that the door is ajar? If yes, then door switch. If no, then the door module as others have mentioned.
No door ajar. No codes either.

OP
OP

kipp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kipp
Vehicle(s)
So I finally got around to working on it this past Saturday. It appears the problem may be solved. I have driven a couple of hours over the past 2 days since the apparent fix and it has not acted up once. The solution appears to be applying contact grease on the connection to the latch to resolve a connection problem.

So thanks to everyone who contributed, I could not have done this without all the feedback!

The plug in the door...

I applied contact grease across the connector where the pins would connect...

And FYI, the links I referenced for pulling off the door panel:

Phoneman1223

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So is that the door lock actuator? I have not taken mine apart yet (still have warranty)so not to familiar with door guts.

OP
OP

kipp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kipp
Vehicle(s)
So is that the door lock actuator? I have not taken mine apart yet (still have warranty)so not to familiar with door guts.
The photo I shared is the best view I have of the part. It is at the end of the door at the latch, so that is my assumption. I did not replace it. I only applied the contact grease. It's still working properly.

Sponsored

Phoneman1223

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The photo I shared is the best view I have of the part. It is at the end of the door at the latch, so that is my assumption. I did not replace it. I only applied the contact grease. It's still working properly.
Sounds like you figured it out. My wife is at dealer right now for the 3rd time. The window went up and down 1/4in for over 2 straight hours the other day when my wife was at the grocery store. With your findings and my input, have convinced the Ford technician to replace lock actuator switch and grease the connection. Can’t wait for 3/36 mile warranty to expire to start working on my car and stop taking to dealers.

OP
OP

kipp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kipp
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you figured it out. My wife is at dealer right now for the 3rd time. The window went up and down 1/4in for over 2 straight hours the other day when my wife was at the grocery store. With your findings and my input, have convinced the Ford technician to replace lock actuator switch and grease the connection. Can’t wait for 3/36 mile warranty to expire to start working on my car and stop taking to dealers.
I'm over 50k already. Fortunately it was a simple solution i could do. Still no problems several drives later again. Good luck, since your issue is the same, please share your results.I'd like to hear it. It may apply to others as well.

Phoneman1223

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm over 50k already. Fortunately it was a simple solution i could do. Still no problems several drives later again. Good luck, since your issue is the same, please share your results.I'd like to hear it. It may apply to others as well.
Our window problem has not been resolved. So we took to dealer for 3rd time and the tech greased the connection. The did not replace the lock actuator as I requested. Fast forward 2 days, guess what? The window was doing the same exact thing, not fixed. So we will going back to dealer for the 4th time. What a pain in the ass this is becoming. The only way to get the window from stopping going up and down is to open the door and manually move the door lock switch. The dealer claims to have ordered the switch to have on hand in case this happened again.

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
What did you have to do to get to that connector? Take the door latch off? Door panel? Can you take a wider photo? I've been battling with this for about 2 years (I also have my own thread here). Mine went from randomly moving up and down as in OP's video to, one day, just stopping completely, and now it stays down 1/4" all the time, but the window motor and other functions work fine.

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
What's the cause? Your car desperately wants to visit your dealership's service department.

Sponsored

Gator_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
So I finally got around to working on it this past Saturday. It appears the problem may be solved. I have driven a couple of hours over the past 2 days since the apparent fix and it has not acted up once. The solution appears to be applying contact grease on the connection to the latch to resolve a connection problem.

So thanks to everyone who contributed, I could not have done this without all the feedback!
So I believe I have fixed the problem in my son's 2016 EcoBoost. It's been about 2 weeks now and it still seems to be working now... no more passenger window randomly dropping 1/2 inch and up.
kipp's post #18 above was very helpful to me. Thanks for all of the help here.

I took off the door panel and found 3 connectors that I used compress air to blow out, then sprayed with contact cleaner, then little bit of dielectric grease sparingly around the borders of the plug (not in the metal connector or pin area). It took me two tries (only lasted a couple of days the first try). The first time I did not use contact cleaner and I only did the connector kipp showed in his post (that is the bottom right in the first pic below). The second time I also added two other connectors (one going into the window motor and the other up near the lock mechanism). Some helpful pics below besides also looking at what kipp wrote above. The red circles and arrows show where these are. The connectors are all behind the metal where the window slides (so on the other side of the metal where my circles are).

20201229_135159.jpg
20201229_133202.jpg
20201229_133812.jpg
20201229_133823.jpg
20201229_134019.jpg
20201229_134150.jpg
20201230_091615.jpg

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It's the window motor plug. Water gets into it and the window goes nuts. Blow it out with compressed air and pack it full of dielectric grease. You want enough grease to keep the water out.

Gator_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
It's the window motor plug. Water gets into it and the window goes nuts. Blow it out with compressed air and pack it full of dielectric grease. You want enough grease to keep the water out.
Yes, that is one of the 3 plugs I did on my second attempt. So, in my case it very well could have been that one for me as well.

SteelerJAXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible 3.7L V6
I also have a 2016 Convertible 3.7 that is haunted with this This passenger window dance, my wife calls it, that is driving us crazy. Sometime it even keeps beat with the music, but mostly just whistles annoyingly in the wind. Too bad this hasn't become a recall since it is kind of wide spread throughout all S550s. I'd love to know any how many are actually experiencing this haunting. Or did we all just win the lottery odds of getting this same occurrence?

Moonshinegulch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Ranger-2008, Fusion-2014
Hello, for those of you experiencing the window dance issue you might also read what I found on my Grandson's 2017. The recommendations of contact cleaner and dielectric grease are right on, especially if you find any moisture around connectors. You title is "2017 Mustang Window Dropping". It is a rel easy fix and does not require removing the door panel. When I was using the screwdriver shank as a replacement for the striker I could distintly hear two clicks. First click the window was still down, second click the window was up solidly. My thought process was that the striker position was such that the latch was tetering between latched and limbo (contact for door open/closed switch) but I still did not have a door open light on. Read it and think about it. Might help. Cheers!
Sponsored