turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Who's got the whole story?

It seems the gears are the same as years prior with the opportunity to shatter, so where are the 2018 owners at with changing these? I believe I saw a Vendor mention that you need to pull the oil pan as well for 2018. I'm looking for someone that has done it or knows definitively.

Appreciate the help!
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
They only seem to break with FI apps or people bouncing off the limiter like tards.

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Thanks [MENTION=30922]WildHorse[/MENTION]. I'm currently at the beginning of a supercharger build, so I believe your comment applies to me. Hoping to catch some more information if it's out there.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i dont know of any 2018s that have been changed. so far cars running 9s on stock OPG

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
We've supplied quite a few OPG and CS for the 18's already.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
i dont doubt people are buying them but i havnt seen one running times with them. unless they installed them and claim they didnt
Probably because the 18s are still relatively new, and even fewer people have done FI to merit OPG changes.

But it's no different than 15-17 cars, so whatever info you see for those it would apply for your car too (except for the install procedure).

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Probably because the 18s are still relatively new, and even fewer people have done FI to merit OPG changes.

But it's no different than 15-17 cars, so whatever info you see for those it would apply for your car too (except for the install procedure).
if 9 sec cars dont merit it i dont know what does.. now the OPG to my knowledge havent change at least since 2011 but it was known that the 15+ had less issues with them due to better harmonics and balancing. it could be possible the 18s are another step in that direction.

does anyone know if OPG have failed on an auto?

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
CS is the primary weakness in the 15 and up, OPGs just make sense to knock out if you’re in there but those are weak too. We’ve personally seen 15+ CS’s damaged on N/A cars who road race and or drag race. F/I it’s a no brainer, especially on Superchargers with the extra strain on the crank. Which cars are running 9’s without them? And how many? Don’t discount not needing them based off less than 1% of the cars when these breaking is a normal thing.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
if 9 sec cars dont merit it i dont know what does.. now the OPG to my knowledge havent change at least since 2011 but it was known that the 15+ had less issues with them due to better harmonics and balancing. it could be possible the 18s are another step in that direction.
It doesn't really, and all those 9 second cars are perfect examples. If you don't abuse them, they last (for the most part).

And as you mentioned, the 18 did get a better damper (I believe it's fluid) so that could very well be a reason why they last more. The ATI balancer for Coyotes makes a huge difference in harmonics and should be done first before the gears themselves.

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
im not saying it shouldnt be replaced for good measure.. but i believe beefcakes car is still stock OPG (could be wrong) and the 9.4 turbo 18 is stock OPG.

It also seems that they are more difficult to replace on the 18s.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Beefcakes is not running the stock engine, but rather a built motor from MMR.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Beefcakes is not running the stock engine, but rather a built motor from MMR.
youre right my fault about beefs car. but the turbo car and i believe Pro charge car ran low 10s high 9s on stock gear. (they didnt say they had them but doesnt mean they didnt.)

also we all know the infamous YOLO with a stock sealed Gen 1 coyote with a tvs and 700+whp running low 10s with a manual.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
CS is the primary weakness in the 15 and up, OPGs just make sense to knock out if you’re in there but those are weak too. We’ve personally seen 15+ CS’s damaged on N/A cars who road race and or drag race. F/I it’s a no brainer, especially on Superchargers with the extra strain on the crank. Which cars are running 9’s without them? And how many? Don’t discount not needing them based off less than 1% of the cars when these breaking is a normal thing.
Been running both my cars one a mid 10.sec and now my 17 with at least 20 passes on it and it's a 9.sec car,man others out their too.The ones i.see break.are guys that change balancers or take the crank pulley off for some reason and don't reinstall it correctly.If I have to open the front for some reason i will change them but otherwise no.