Sponsored

2018 new dash thoughts?

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
If it's an OLED screen then it's going to be an expensive option. Otherwise, it should be part of the already expansive 401A package.
Sponsored

SeaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0
I personally see absolutely no point in this. So it's an LCD screen that shows gauges. Physical gauges do the same thing. Im not looking down at the gauges much when Im driving, and it doesn't matter to me a bit if it is physical or virtual.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
If it's an OLED screen then it's going to be an expensive option. Otherwise, it should be part of the already expansive 401A package.
I think 401A is gonna stay the same, but there may be a tech package with all the driver aids and this cluster screen.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
New 12-inch all-digital instrument cluster - Visibility

I think the problem you gonna run into is gonna be sun light and temperature as we all know sun light is gonna cause difficulties seeing the screen and LCD does not like cold temperature.
Heck Tint the hell out of your car and you won't have a problem - except with the cops. I had illegal tint on my car for years only got stopped once by some jerk cop in Coral Gables. Said I looked like a suspect he was looking for. I said what the vehicle? or me? He said me. I was thinking to myself how the heck did he identify me if you could not see me inside the car. In any case must of been his attempt at humor and I got a ticket for tints. I was not laughing at that point.
:mad:

But I bet you can sure see your instrument cluster great with illegal tint on a bright sunny day ! :headbang:

Sponsored

SeaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0
Doubt it's OLED with those black levels.
Thus the inherent problem and deficiency of LCDs. They're all backlit. Another reason I would hate having that right under my line of sight in the gauge area. You're right, if it were AMOLED it would have infinite black levels and when an area wasn't part of a gauge or graphic, it would be completely black as if it weren't on.

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
300% = 3x similar to 50% = 1/2. So it would be 300% :cheers:
Uh, no it would be 200% more.

He said:
"I guess the simplistic view would be that Sony only warrants their electronics for 1 year. Ford, 3 years. Or 300% more."

If one year = 100%:
100% MORE than one year is 2 years
200% MORE than 1 year is 3 years

:cheers:

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Right but smartphones aren't 4000lb missiles that you risk your life to use each and every day. So let's say you're piloting a 4000lb hunk of metal at 80mph, you want to know as much info at possible. If you hit a pothole and it cuts out well that's a pretty severe lawsuit for the folks over at ford.

You're wrong buddy. Give it up
Digital screens have been placed in cars for a very long time, Ford isn't trying something that hasn't been done before. Unless there is a design flaw in their digital dash there will be no worries it ever cutting out from a pothole. That would imply a lose cable which might just as easially happen with an analog display.

Don't even understand why people worry about the digital dash not working, or failing from temperature not being able to read in the direct sunlight. These digital dash displays aren't new for 2017, many many cars have had them for years without any issues.

So no worries. Just a simple TFT LCD panel that has been used in cars for years and years. Just like the one currently between your speedo and tacho, and when has that one ever let you down ?

Last edited:

chunter415

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1, 2019 F150
I figure I'll take advantage of this and switch between 2 screens. I'll make one for casual cruising driving where I don't need to know as much. Then I'll have the other be the "track" option for when I need to know more info. Plus I'm sure the wife will want something with her colors and less info than what I would want.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I prefer analog gauges. I don't like big screens either.

I would love to have a new Mustang with analog gauges, no screen on the dash, no digital MPG meters and all that crap, CD/Cassette player, cloth non-powered seats.........I do like power windows, Bluetooth,AUX port though so I guess I'm new school.

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Don't even understand why people worry about the digital dash not working, or failing from temperature not being able to read in the direct sunlight. These digital dash displays aren't new for 2017, many many cars have had them for years without any issues.
Yep they've been around for years and years. None of the things listed are even an issue.

I am curious on what a replacement screen would cost. On Ebay the Audi ones are from around $500 to $1000.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I highly doubt it will be a standalone option, Ford is moving in the direction of other automakers in which they're making high priced options packages with very popular options. They'll probably package it together with some other tech stuff and call it the Technology package or something.

What I'm curious about is if you're able to view navigation information on that screen. It already displays current radio station, and i think it would be neat to see navigation information on that screen.
That was my thought initially, but then I saw some information that customers will have more flexibility to mix and match options. Navigation for example would be a waste for me and I am not interested in the active cruise control, so I probably wound't spend $2-3k on a tech package just to get the digital cluster. That type of direction also goes against their fast, fun and affordable slogan. I guess, we'll find out when the order banks open.

khannected

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sohaib
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT
What will manuals have in place of the current gear displayed inside the tach? It would be a letdown Ford doesn't add a sensor to display current gear in a manual.

attachment.jpg
If they did add sensors which read the gear for manuals, there is even less chance that these gauges can be retro fitted into 15-17

khannected

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sohaib
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT
Uh, no it would be 200% more.

He said:
"I guess the simplistic view would be that Sony only warrants their electronics for 1 year. Ford, 3 years. Or 300% more."

If one year = 100%:
100% MORE than one year is 2 years
200% MORE than 1 year is 3 years

:cheers:
Dude lol. Not to argue but if i understand this correctly, I think he is saying that Ford is offering 300% MORE THAN Sony or in other words 3 times more warranty than Sony. I dont think 'more' means original 1 year + 2 times the original year more, if you compare 1 year vs 3 years, 3 years is 300% more than 1 year.

If we weren't using percentages to define the difference it would be 2 years more.

For example: if you look at 1 < 2, how much greater is the value of 2 than 1? It is valued at 2 times more than 1, or 200% more.

There is actually huge debate on this topic lol. Basically the word 'more' is ambiguous when describing how much something has increased by percentages.
http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/61774.html

Last edited:

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
Sensors aren't needed for manual trans gears. The computer can figure it out by RPM and MPH. The BRZ has gear indicator for the manual and it is a calculated value. :thumbsup:
Sponsored