2018 GT PP1 Purchase, Thoughts?

TXGTPig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Do it!!! Don't go back and forth with the internet ding dongs on price. There's always someone(s) who got a brand new GT, every option available, 600,000 mile warranty, life time new tires every 3.614 months and a $250 gas card every month for $27,438.51 OTD. If it's in your budget, DO IT NOW!!!!! I just got back into the Mustang world myself with a Premium '18 GT 6SPD. I love it!!!!
Sponsored

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
The car you are looking at would bring 36-37k right now in KY and there is nothing delusional about this statement. These are just numbers and reality, in this area. Though there will always be some folks who claim otherwise and spew forth numbers that are unrealistic in the view of others.

The comments regarding shift fork issues are valid. The MT82 had some issues and there were quite a few examples of shift forks breaking, specifically when banging from second to third. These issues have been resolved. The car you are looking at is still in powertrain warranty and should you break one it will be repaired or replaced as long as you are under warranty. Late MY18 cars are unaffected. A Google search of "MT82 shift fork problems" would be worth your time.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP

3X4X4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
06 Tacoma TRD, 06 Wrangler Rubicon, 18 Renegade
You know guys, these are the "last of the V8 interceptors" (Mad Max I think it was). The IC age is perhaps not at an end and as an engineer and mechanic I understand the realities of battery vs gasoline/diesel/Jet A energy density and there is no comparison. But, I had a brand new MX5 RF GT I bought to tide me over and it is gone now thanks to phone texting and stop sign running ------%&#@!.

I guess I could wait. Frankly, the Mustang is kinda big, kinda overpowered, kinda heavy, too much overhang, kinda common, no sunroof or t-top option and yet somehow it pulls at me every time I see one. If the Miata had 12 inches more length, maybe 500 pounds more steel and aluminum around me and had maybe 225 horsepower I would get another in a heartbeat. But seeing another car, inches from my face at 50 MPH, kinda scary. Sometimes a little extra bulk and overhang is good.

J

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
But seeing another car, inches from my face at 50 MPH, kinda scary
50mph? Where are you sonny that it's not 70mph? Also there's a very inexpensive way to disabuse you of your fear. Buy a $3000 motorcycle and go play tag with highway traffic and semis. You'll thank me later. :)

The Mustang has plenty of warts but it's primary redeeming quality is that it's cheap at the non-fancy trim levels. The PP1 package at today's 6.5k is a complete and utter ripoff. The value wasn't there back when it was 4 grand.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
You know guys, these are the "last of the V8 interceptors" (Mad Max I think it was). The IC age is perhaps not at an end and as an engineer and mechanic I understand the realities of battery vs gasoline/diesel/Jet A energy density and there is no comparison. But, I had a brand new MX5 RF GT I bought to tide me over and it is gone now thanks to phone texting and stop sign running ------%&#@!.

I guess I could wait. Frankly, the Mustang is kinda big, kinda overpowered, kinda heavy, too much overhang, kinda common, no sunroof or t-top option and yet somehow it pulls at me every time I see one. If the Miata had 12 inches more length, maybe 500 pounds more steel and aluminum around me and had maybe 225 horsepower I would get another in a heartbeat. But seeing another car, inches from my face at 50 MPH, kinda scary. Sometimes a little extra bulk and overhang is good.

J
Oh, hearing your story, that's funny and I can commiserate....

crashed miata.jpg

My first 2016, less than a month after purchase (little old lady in a SUV on a cellphone). I replaced it with the same about 5 months later and am still dailying that one.

Honestly, I would just get another MX-5. They are just such wonderful cars, and you are gonna have to spend a ton on a Mustang to get one that 'feels' close to the MX-5. I'm only switching because I have a kid now and need seating.

Sponsored

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
Wait, what??? You got a Mustang because you need seating?

OP
OP

3X4X4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
50mph? Where are you sonny that it's not 70mph? Also there's a very inexpensive way to disabuse you of your fear. Buy a $3000 motorcycle and go play tag with highway traffic and semis. You'll thank me later. :)

The Mustang has plenty of warts but it's primary redeeming quality is that it's cheap at the non-fancy trim levels. The PP1 package at today's 6.5k is a complete and utter ripoff. The value wasn't there back when it was 4 grand.
I was on a rural road when the collision occurred, the speed limit is 55 not 70 there and on the interstate it is 75 here.

I do have a motorcycle or two or three. Life long motorcyclist.

IMG-4794.jpg

Regardless of how well my little car stood up to the impact of a larger vehicle, I was inches from eating the paint. On my bike, I may have been able to avoid being hit, maybe. If not it would have been much worse.

As to being a "sonny" I am 67 years old. My former MX-5 may it RIP:

IMG-2939.jpg

I might would get another, all aside except there are none just as there are no Mustangs new on any lot I can find with the 5.0 and manual within distance I could go look and kick tires and the new prices are way up. If I go new, it will be next year and if I were to go Miata or BMW Z4 2.0, dunno how long it might take, either of those I want them brand new.
J

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Wait, what??? You got a Mustang because you need seating?
Short of sticking my kids in the trunk of the MX-5, the Mach 1 offers substantially more space, yes. I will concede that it is not the 'ideal' form factor, but we have a Subaru Outback as our primary child mover, so this is more for the random pickup from daycare/etc.

I considered a Toyota GR86, but from what I've seen online, it's a massive struggle to fit a child seat behind the passenger, and impossible behind the driver. On the Mustang I should be able to fit my 3 year old in a front facing seat behind me and our newly expected arrival behind my wife in the passenger seat in a rear facing car seat.

Oh man, does that bring back memories- I had a Speed Four for a number of years in my late teens early 20's. I stopped riding after texting and smart phones became huge in the early 2010's; the risk finally overcame the reward. But the love of riding is what directly led to my purchase of the MX-5 a few years later. Anyway beautiful bike, I still toy with the idea of buying something like a Triple R with ABS and all the fancy things after my kids are older

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
Former biker here and considered the mx 5 before mustang. Loved the go kart ness and reliability but I gave up motor cycles due to zero trust of others taking the fun away and I'm afraid I'd feel the same in the mx 5. Mustang has enough bulk, sound and road presence (even as a convertible) I don't feel as intimidated in traffic. Also the mx5 trunk and passenger seat hump make week long road trips for 2 pretty un comfortable for 2 boomers with stuff. Did several of those this year in the vert and it was amazing in all road trip scenarios.

OP
OP

3X4X4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
Are you more adverse to the nannies like lane keep assist? Some of those can be turned off.
Yes, that is exactly part of why I do not want the higher trim, this car does not seem to be overly nannie-ized. I had some of it on my MX-5 but I could turn it off, with just warning lights on the dash which are annoying I suppose.

So, the car I am looking at has the 4.2 inch display, standard Sync and the speedometer and tach are mechanical appearing with another multi-function screen between them. In what package came the digital instrument cluster?

J

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You're looking at 300a trim. Digital cluster is 401a

The 301a yields the big touch screen and unlocks drive modes. It should be a 500 upgrade not $2000 but that's how ford pads it margin.

OP
OP

3X4X4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
Former biker here and considered the mx 5 before mustang. Loved the go kart ness and reliability but I gave up motor cycles due to zero trust of others taking the fun away and I'm afraid I'd feel the same in the mx 5. Mustang has enough bulk, sound and road presence (even as a convertible) I don't feel as intimidated in traffic. Also the mx5 trunk and passenger seat hump make week long road trips for 2 pretty un comfortable for 2 boomers with stuff. Did several of those this year in the vert and it was amazing in all road trip scenarios.
You are right, the MX-5 is meant for local zooming around. It is not a good road trip vehicle. The Mustang is a more practical machine, at least it can tote a full size suitcase.

Sports cars I have owned/driven extensively:

Triumph TR6
Mazda RX-7 (79 and 81)
Fiat X1/9
Mustang SVO (1985.5)
Mazda MX-5 (NA)
Mazda MX-5 (ND2)

I also have a good bit of time in an original 240Z and a Porsche 914 and the Toyota GR86. My biggest complaints about the Mustang and Camaro pony cars is that they are too big and too heavy and I cannot see out of them, the Camaro in particular. My complaint about modern cars in general is too much infotainment and not enough driver entertainment.

I may decide not to buy this car and wait for the 2023 alleged to come out in late 2022. My information tells me that along with the hybrid AWD model there will be a straight V8 model and one can only hope still with a manual transmission. A gamble I guess.

J

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I may decide not to buy this car and wait for the 2023 alleged to come out in late 2022. My information tells me that along with the hybrid AWD model there will be a straight V8 model and one can only hope still with a manual transmission. A gamble I guess.
if the 2023 car is any good there will be a rash of S550s on dealer lots in short order as trade-ins.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
So then, what would a GT with the 5.0 and PP1 with the 19 inch wheels, summer tires run new? today If I could buy a new one, if there were any new GTs to be had?

I do not want the PP2. I am old school and that seems to add a lot of electronic stuff I do not need.
I paid 38K for my '18 PP1 Premium car in February of 2018. I wouldn't pay more than that for a used one in 2021, but the market is crazy right now.