corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Incidentally, for me it's impossible to understand why someone would want to spend time doing a menial task that a computer can perform for them...

... I mean if you really enjoy taking your keys out of your pocket and turning them in the ignition, that's cool, I guess.
Because these so-called "menial tasks" are just little pieces of life that need not be avoided. Whether they're enjoyable to do or not is irrelevant, but in either case doing them "all by myself" is not beneath my dignity. Like I said before, I'd be embarrassed if I ever thought I needed to have such simple tasks done for me.

But can you really not understand why that task has no appeal to some people? And why it would be preferable to let a computer do it if possible?
Actually, no. There isn't enough involved with any of these little tasks to develop any reluctance to doing. They don't take up enough time to even develop a thought about. On the other hand, people sometimes do let their vanity get in the way. Some more than others.

Norm
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Apparently anyone didn't live through the 1960's is incapable of understanding any points that are being made so i'm out.
I urge you to consider that attitudes and mindsets that developed in the 1980's and 1990's can't have true insight into those that came out of the 1960's. Any more than I will ever be able to develop a true understanding of those same attributes as lived by my parents' generation (those who grew up through the Great Depression of the 1930's). Learning from what others say or write and learning from your own direct experience are two different things. Wait about three decades . . .

I can't ask more from you than I can expect from myself. Seems reasonable, no?

Norm

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Whether they're enjoyable to do or not is irrelevant, but in either case doing them "all by myself" is not beneath my dignity. Like I said before, I'd be embarrassed if I ever thought I needed to have such simple tasks done for me.

Actually, no. There isn't enough involved with any of these little tasks to develop any reluctance to doing. They don't take up enough time to even develop a thought about. On the other hand, people sometimes do let their vanity get in the way. Some more than others.

Norm

Is there no middle ground in your world?

Slicing bread is also a simple task.

Can't one recognize they do not 'need' simple tasks completed for them? And at the same time also acknowledge that having a simple task even partially automated can be a convenience and need not play on their dignity or give cause for embarrassment, should they choose to indulge in said convenience?

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
New dash is "gee wiz cool" but in reality, once you set a preferred layout, will you ever change it? How much will you be willing to pay and after a year or so, will it be "no big dea!"

Wonder if the standard dash will get a digital speed readout.
I thought the 2015 with its classic styling was nothing short of
spectacular......The new one,ehhh.. I really thing Ford could have
made some improvements to the car and left much of the styling alone
Now its a corssbreed between a camaro and a lexus..

classicrockr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2LT/RS HYper Blue Convertible Camaro
New dash is "gee wiz cool" but in reality, once you set a preferred layout, will you ever change it? How much will you be willing to pay and after a year or so, will it be "no big dea!"

Wonder if the standard dash will get a digital speed readout.
I love the digital dash area between the physical gauges on my Camaro. Typically I have it set to the "Audio" display, which gives me song/station info. But if I'm driving & have to work with incoming phone calls related to business, then I set it to the "phone" display. This lets me search my phone contacts, see messages from my phone, and scroll up & down through past calls so I can just pick a recently dialed # & call it by using the steering wheel.

And I also use the Nav screen setting; this puts a small nav screen between the 2 physical gauges. This way, I leave the radio screen in radio mode & just look between the HUD & mini-nav screen for my nav instructions.

Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I have read this entire thread.

Different generations have different thoughts. Who is right? Who is wrong?:shrug: Its all subjective...:cheers:

NB1ABOZ.gif

But for the record, I am not a big fan of the new dash. I like analog gauges. :)

Last edited:

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
The gauges will either be standard on both premium trims or on the *01A package. I highly doubt it will be a stand alone option. I like the fact that you can set it up with the "analog" gauges but you will also have a choice of different types of data that you can display. The only thing I wish Ford would have added would be some sort of HUD.

OP
OP
airfuel

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
then I set it to the "phone" display. This lets me search my phone contacts, see messages from my phone, and scroll up & down through past calls so I can just pick a recently dialed # & call it by using the steering wheel.
I would prefer that people actually pay attention to the road and driving. I wish that type of involvement would only be available with the car stopped and in park.

That type of distracted multitasking is becoming a big problem on the road today.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Is there no middle ground in your world?
Sometimes there is. Like right here in this thread with respect to the size of the display. I'm OK with the concept of simulating analog gauges, maybe more than OK (my '08's IP is difficult to see under some lighting conditions, and made worse with polarized sunglasses). Just not the execution of it in this particular instance, at least as pictured here.

Pretty much anything posted that isn't hard fact is opinion, and what I post as opinion comes from experiences that are mine. Not yours or dron's or my Dad's. That's what makes them my opinions.

Maybe somebody stole my sense-of-entitlement-to-luxury gene. :shrug:
But ehhh, I've got better things to do with my time than try to find it.

Norm

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I urge you to consider that attitudes and mindsets that developed in the 1980's and 1990's can't have true insight into those that came out of the 1960's. Any more than I will ever be able to develop a true understanding of those same attributes as lived by my parents' generation (those who grew up through the Great Depression of the 1930's). Learning from what others say or write and learning from your own direct experience are two different things. Wait about three decades . . .

I can't ask more from you than I can expect from myself. Seems reasonable, no?

Norm
Honestly Norm, you have constructed an argument where you allow yourself to place a judgement on an entire group of people using as justification that the era that you grew up in affords you that right, and because others didn't live through that, any dispute of your argument is false, and we just aren't old enough to understand.

Close minded judgements of entire groups of people based on old fashioned thinking and ideals. Ya i guess you are right, sounds like something i can't understand. I hope in three decades i still can't.

BTW - these types of arguments are referred to as logical fallacies, hence my decision that there is no point in trying to continue the discussion with you

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Maybe somebody stole my sense-of-entitlement-to-luxury gene. :shrug:
But ehhh, I've got better things to do with my time than try to find it.

Norm
Not to worry, it appears that your generalizing-close-minded gene is working full force.

Last edited:

classicrockr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2LT/RS HYper Blue Convertible Camaro
I would prefer that people actually pay attention to the road and driving. I wish that type of involvement would only be available with the car stopped and in park.

That type of distracted multitasking is becoming a big problem on the road today.
Very valid point with the being parked & stopped thing. Fortunately, I don't have to use it very often & I can still watch the road with the display being between the physical gauges. If I had to keep looking over at the radio for the info, then that would definitely be more distracting.
Sponsored