Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Dre
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I'm putting a Whipple supercharger on my 2018 GT. I've asked several people this question who run superchargers on their mustangs but I always get mixed answers.

Do I have to change my drive shaft and half shafts after I add the supercharger and will I need to ask anything else to car thats not included in the kit..

Note: It's only my fun toy, I may do some hard pulls on the highway but I don't track the car at all
Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Short answer is no, not at all and that goes for 15-19 model years and especially how you plan to use it. Broken half shafts usually occur from wheel hop or very sticky tires with high yields of torque. Your driveshaft is fine if you want to keep it. My Whipple is something I did very early on my car and I road coursed it often with 100% stock internal engine parts and drivetrain parts. I’m far from that now but track my car as often as possible albeit all road course.
What is more of a concern would be your oil pump gears and your crank shaft gear. My friend lost his oil pump gears with his Whipple and it required a whole new long block which quickly made me want to do mine. Stock oil pump gears have broke on completely stock mustangs including the GT350’s.
Some tend to change out for a upgraded damper as well when changing the op/cs gears since the stock one has to come off to do the job.

Remember though, anything can break for any reason so it really comes down to personal choice and what makes you feel better. I’ll leave you with this; all of Whipple’s kits that run their tune are heavily tested on fully stock components and 91 octane fuel when it comes to the S550.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
should be fine, my 850rwhp whipple 16 was on stock clutch and axles for 2 years. they will live a while if you don't put a super sticky tire on it

raycer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I would say you will be fine if not drag racing. I would however put an oil catch can on it for sure.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
You dont have to, however most people do. As noted from above wheel hop kills axles. It depends on how you will be driving the car. Hit me up for any questions.

Sponsored

rtg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1+
Vehicle Showcase
Driveshaft OK.

So basically you don't have change the half shafts until they break. The stock half shafts are NOT designed for the higher power level. If you rely on tire slip for drive train protection it will work unit you hook up by chance one time too many. The half shafts are the weakest link in the power train.

When they do break and at least one will it will be at an inconvenient time.

Why would you want an 800HP power adder if you are not going to put that power to the ground?

Change them out.

Rob

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
No one has ever broken a stock drive shaft ?

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
You'll be fine. Whippled 18 here with stock half/drive shafts on Michelin PS4S tires. The tires break loose below a 70mph roll so it's easier on the driveline. The one time I took it to the dragstrip, it went 1.6 60' but knocked the tires off at the top of first gear thru 4th gear.
That said, I'm doing axles, cradle lockout, and driveshaft over the winter so I can put a stickier tire on it.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Ouch !
I walked in to that one . Lol