Sponsored

2018 Mustang Refresh (Prototype) First Look!

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You have a Ford Fusion nose stuck on the current Mustang..it's why they are changing up the front.

Also, changing the hood to not have a large muscle car bulge doesn't make it look like a sedan lol. Also the GT350 doesn't even have a bulge and has a flatter hood like this mule has for better visibility. They even stated that they lowered the GT350 hood for part of that reason (track reasons I guess).

Look at this Aston Martin hood...the Mustang is moving towards more sleek lines like this.

aston-martin-21-new-_0_0_0_0_0_0_0.jpg

Looks like a sleeker version of the Mustang to me...more profile of a GT350 with upgraded lines.

And it shouldn't. It is not an Aston Martin. It is a Mustang. It shouldn't be sleek, svelte lines. It needs some brute. It is not a British sports car, it is an American Muscle car.

I love Astons, but if you want an Aston, buy an Aston.
Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
In all of the pictures where you're able to see the front-end, the headlights seem to be shorter in width and not extend back towards the fenders.
They go around more then what you show...have to remember that camo is over the white material fabric covering the lights probably to make sure you cannot figure out what the shape is now. They are being super-cautious keeping it under wraps.

mjhousto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB, 50 Years AP
It looks to me as if the new tribars will be more like this:

2015-ford-mustang-headlights-970x548-c-970x646-c.jpg
2018-Mustang-Refresh-6.jpg

It appears that the general design of the headlight will be the same as the 2015-2017 models (one projector and the tribars). I would bet that they will be all LED like the 2017 Fusion.

It seems strange that the camo would extend over the rear glass. Is that normal for camo cars?

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I dont think that super imposed image is accurate. There is no way the car got longer...if anything it might have gotten shorter from looking at the spy shots by an inch or two.
Different camera lenses distort objects very noticeably, these will be the same size.

I work in car advertising. When we do shoot arounds it is with every lens there is. Some are used to give a car a very aggressive look (Mostly on trucks) while some are used to give cars a friendlier look (Family sedans).

There is a massive variation on what you can get a vehicle to look like just with different camera lenses.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
In all of the pictures where you're able to see the front-end, the headlights seem to be shorter in width and not extend back towards the fenders.
That's pretty interesting. Not sure how that would look but would certainly get rid of the complaints about a Fusion resemblance.

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
And it shouldn't. It is not an Aston Martin. It is a Mustang. It shouldn't be sleek, svelte lines. It needs some brute. It is not a British sports car, it is an American Muscle car.

I love Astons, but if you want an Aston, buy an Aston.
Then you should talk to Ford, not me because they have stated time and time again the design language is moving towards a world car with european styling hints..hence the S550 design.

That's pretty interesting. Not sure how that would look but would certainly get rid of the complaints about a Fusion resemblance.
Most likely if they shortened the sides of the lights they would more resemble an Audi like set up.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Most likely if they shortened the sides of the lights they would more resemble an Audi like set up.
Yikes I hope not. Those boxy headlights on current Audis remind me of the headlight designs of the late 80s and 90s. I know you love europeans cars because of how much you mention them but I agree with the others that they can't take it too european. It's still a Mustang. And that's why it's selling like crazy in Europe, because it doesn't look like every other bland European coupe.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Yikes I hope not. Those boxy headlights on current Audis remind me of the headlight designs of the late 80s and 90s. I know you love europeans cars because of how much you mention them but I agree with the others that they can't take it too european. It's still a Mustang. And that's why it's selling like crazy in Europe, because it doesn't look like every other bland European coupe.
I dont think they are going that far (I think the lights will almost be identical in size) but I think they are definitely going with a new TRI-BAR/LED set up with a better looking front profile to make the car more distinct.

What's hilarious is look at the new A5/S5...it's got the Ford Fusion hood.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
well it is a great we are seeing something although I dont know what it is we are seeing LOL.

Guess Ill just wait for the reveal ... you guys are better at this than me because I cant see squat that tells me anything definitive.

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Then you should talk to Ford, not me because they have stated time and time again the design language is moving towards a world car with european styling hints..hence the S550 design.

Doubt Ford will listen to me. If they keep going in this direction, I'll probably buy a Challenger once it drops about 400lbs

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Doubt Ford will listen to me. If they keep going in this direction, I'll probably buy a Challenger once it drops about 400lbs
Challenger is a great car for sure...and yes it needs to lose weight...but don't be surprised to see their next gen also adopt a more modern look. They obviously have seen how the Mustang has brought in more to the fold with a new style/look.

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
My thoughts as well. It's supposed to be a mid-cycle 'refresh' so IMHO don't see it being more than cosmetic changes and possibly the 10-speed auto.
Don't forget how the 13/14 track pack cars got the Boss 302 manifold. If Ford wanted to, they have several parts they could trickle down from the GT350 like the intake manifold to keep the s550 relevant and give it a mild power bump. Still keeping my fingers crossed for more power and mag ride as an option.

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
And Fiat will somehow listen to you?

partyelmarty

What's it trap?
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Magnetic Metallic
I don't know my Mustangs well enough. Is that a picture of a 2018 or a previous generation?
That is a 2008 4.6L 3V Modular engine.

Could you really not discern the major visual differences between that and a Coyote(5.0)?

Intake manifold, valve covers, etc

z460

MR.BIG SHOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
f250
i think %96 of the people in this forum are wrong about how the car going to look and its' not going to look like a European douche nozzle aka Aston Martin
Sponsored