Sponsored

2018 GT PP1 : delayed throttle response

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Is this just a MT issue? This car has the fastest throttle response out of the past 4 cars I've owned.
Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Have not noticed it on mine.

PRE-Z06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99&'00 FRC
I can't help but think that Ford tuned it in to try and soften the hit to the 235mm tires that do not belong on a 460hp car in my opinion as I can't think of another example out there. Your C7GS with the same power has 200mm more of rubber in the rear and can understand the need for torque management on it to protect the drivetrain instead as it has a longer 5 year/100k mile warranty.

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
You need to log this and post it up. I never noticed any such "delay" when tuning my 16 GT.... Now if there is a dead spot then something else may be going on, but I haven't noticed it on either of my Mustangs. Logs will show you that normal mode is 1:1 response in relation to GP vs TBP.

ezekielchariot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT PP RHD
Guys,

Still pretty new with my 18gt stang I noticed something which annoys me.

When I apply full throttle quickly from a steady speed, lets say 40 mph in 2 gear, first few tenth of a second it feels I don’t have full throttle, like a lag.

It is very annoying for a NA engine where you shoud have instant response. My C7 GS doesn’t do that, as my previous NA cars.

Note that I didn’t try it in drag mode to see if this is still present...

Any tips ?

Thanks
I have noticed it in my 2018 manual sometimes, but when it happens seems to vary.
I don't apply full throttle to notice it, just progressive wider throttle and can feel flat sometimes, but not all the time. I wondered if it does this when the engine is quite new and less than a certain mileage.

Sponsored

15Romeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I just picked up my 18 GT PP1 with auto this past Saturday and I’m up to just over 200 miles and I have what I would characterize a slight hesitation when I jump on it as well. So quite possible just the way the factory tune is set up.

Brico

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0 PP, 1999 Mazda Miata
18 6MT PP here. I have definitely noticed a throttle "delay." It is slowing the opening of the throttle when I stab it. It is most noticeable in 1st and 2nd and around 4k in 3rd. Like others said it is likely to prevent traction loss and maybe even to extend drive train life. I have tried it with traction control off but I didn't realize that it isnt completely off in that mode. I'll try turning it off completely if that can be done.

Also, I don't see any reason a tune wouldn't be able to eliminate that completely.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
18 6MT PP here. I have definitely noticed a throttle "delay." It is slowing the opening of the throttle when I stab it. It is most noticeable in 1st and 2nd and around 4k in 3rd. Like others said it is likely to prevent traction loss and maybe even to extend drive train life. I have tried it with traction control off but I didn't realize that it isnt completely off in that mode. I'll try turning it off completely if that can be done.

Also, I don't see any reason a tune wouldn't be able to eliminate that completely.
I am now running the base PBD tune. I no longer feel the sluggish throttle response. Big difference vs stock.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
All cars have "drive by wire" throttle since at least 15 years...:shrug:

I don't want to hear about these crappy things like "vitesse throttle controller"...They just artificially offset the throttle input.

In the Vette, steady to WOT I take a slam in the ass (yes it has more torque and less weight), It is too smooth for my taste in the Mustang...I need to test, but I think I remember this also at high rpm...

Or it's because the whole drivetrain line flex more...:shrug:

You are also not controlling 4 cams in a Vette either.

There is a lot of extra processing happening in the Coyote. WOT= tell the TB to open, add extra fuel, move the cam timing a little bit, but check the MAF and o2 sensors to see if that's ok. Wait...the knock sensors don't like that. Ok, lets adjust some things. How do you like that knock sensors? Ok, here we go! WHAT? Now my tires are spinning?? Pull timing, close TB...try again.

Sponsored

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked up my 18 GT PP1 with auto this past Saturday and I’m up to just over 200 miles and I have what I would characterize a slight hesitation when I jump on it as well. So quite possible just the way the factory tune is set up.

What octane gas you running? With just over 200 miles on it, I imagine the dealership filled it up. Most likely 87. You have a high compression motor with 4 knock sensors, not 2 like the 15-17. It will "hear" spark knock very quickly and pull timing to save itself.

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Could be the gas, trying putting some 93 octane in it. I think a simple tune with 93 octane should cure it. It should wake up the car and give you the throttle response you are looking for.

OP
OP

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
This "lag" is pretty inconsistent. Sometimes I have it, sometimes not.

2nd gear, 4500 rpm : 1st slam of the throttle : lag, second none, third some, 4th none, 5th lag again...

I have HP tuner for my Vette as i'm tuning it myself, I will log with VCM scanner one day to see if the TB is opening slow...This could be also knock retard pulling timing as a brutal slam on the throttle could cause transition issues...

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
This "lag" is pretty inconsistent. Sometimes I have it, sometimes not.

2nd gear, 4500 rpm : 1st slam of the throttle : lag, second none, third some, 4th none, 5th lag again...

I have HP tuner for my Vette as i'm tuning it myself, I will log with VCM scanner one day to see if the TB is opening slow...This could be also knock retard pulling timing as a brutal slam on the throttle could cause transition issues...
it's Torque management. if you want to get rid of it you need to get a tune and possibly void your powertrain warranty
Sponsored