2018 FBO pulling timing - HELP NEEDED

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
How loud is your exhaust also? Sometimes it can create false knock from being too loud. Seen it on the dyno with cars with catless LTH and then straight to the tips with no mufflers or resonators
Sponsored

OP
OP
RayFranchi

RayFranchi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
How loud is your exhaust also? Sometimes it can create false knock from being too loud. Seen it on the dyno with cars with catless LTH and then straight to the tips with no mufflers or resonators
Not loud at all, I have a resonator as well.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Desensitize the sensors?

If ita not knocking all the time its just on the top end of the run after the 1/8th?

OP
OP
RayFranchi

RayFranchi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Desensitize the sensors?

If ita not knocking all the time its just on the top end of the run after the 1/8th?
Thats a thought but if its a true knock due to bad gas, that would not be the safest route. Im almost out of current fuel so i'll be testing this theory tonight.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats a thought but if its a true knock due to bad gas, that would not be the safest route. Im almost out of current fuel so i'll be testing this theory tonight.
I should have asked 1st can you get e85?

If you can then the question turns into why arent you?

Seem like alot of people have to desensitize the knock sensors on the gen3s. I feel like these cars are "knock limited" to begin with being 12:1 compression. Very little difference in fuel quality makes quite a difference. Same to be said with timing. It doesnt take much timing being pulled to be noticeable. Thats all again due to the compression IMO.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Bad gas is my guess too. I would trust Lund unless you have good reason not to. Try E85. I bet the timing won't get pulled anymore.

OP
OP
RayFranchi

RayFranchi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I should have asked 1st can you get e85?

If you can then the question turns into why arent you?

Seem like alot of people have to desensitize the knock sensors on the gen3s. I feel like these cars are "knock limited" to begin with being 12:1 compression. Very little difference in fuel quality makes quite a difference. Same to be said with timing. It doesnt take much timing being pulled to be noticeable. Thats all again due to the compression IMO.
There is no E85 in this part of Canada. I can cross the province and get some but that too much of a PIA.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I ran into a similar issue with my car recently (93 tune, 18 manifold, injectors, CAI). The timing rose to 26 early on and then it started pulling timing and pulled timing all the way to redline. I saw up to +4 max on the knock sensor and it was increasing with RPM.

I am still in the process of trying different gas. My previous pull datalog from before (different CAI and E85 tune this time) I had no such problem. Car added timing the entire way and maxed out at 30.5.

But this seems consistent with poor fuel. The tune will advance timing up to 30 or so if it sees it can. I would expect false knock if it only pulled timing on the hit or on the hard gear shift. But mine was like yours, saw some timing initially and then it just pulled timing the rest of the way.

OP
OP
RayFranchi

RayFranchi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I ran into a similar issue with my car recently (93 tune, 18 manifold, injectors, CAI). The timing rose to 26 early on and then it started pulling timing and pulled timing all the way to redline. I saw up to +4 max on the knock sensor and it was increasing with RPM.

I am still in the process of trying different gas. My previous pull datalog from before (different CAI and E85 tune this time) I had no such problem. Car added timing the entire way and maxed out at 30.5.

But this seems consistent with poor fuel. The tune will advance timing up to 30 or so if it sees it can. I would expect false knock if it only pulled timing on the hit or on the hard gear shift. But mine was like yours, saw some timing initially and then it just pulled timing the rest of the way.
Agreed that all arrows point to gas. What CAI are you running?

One guy with an 18 told me that he had a timing issue with his pmas. Not because of ait temps but because it flopped around and his knock sensors picked it up. Seems far fetched but that is next in my list if gas is not the issue

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Agreed that all arrows point to gas. What CAI are you running?

One guy with an 18 told me that he had a timing issue with his pmas. Not because of ait temps but because it flopped around and his knock sensors picked it up. Seems far fetched but that is next in my list if gas is not the issue
I had been running the JLT. That recent log on E85. I've since switched to the Roush 18 CAI. That's the most recent log I did on straight 93 pump gas.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RayFranchi

RayFranchi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I had been running the JLT. That recent log on E85. I've since switched to the Roush 18 CAI. That's the most recent log I did on straight 93 pump gas.
I’m might swap the pmas for the new closed box Steeda. The pmas works well on cool days...air temps stay under 100 but it’s a problem on hot days. The air temp does not drop below 100 wellllll into the run.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m might swap the pmas for the new closed box Steeda. The pmas works well on cool days...air temps stay under 100 but it’s a problem on hot days. The air temp does not drop below 100 wellllll into the run.
The PMAS intake i had on my 2016 with a CJ was absolute garbage. Not a chance in hell Ill buy another PMAS.

OP
OP
RayFranchi

RayFranchi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just came back from logging with fresh 91 in the tank and it’s worst. Same issue with knock on the big end...this time timing dropped to 19 and I saw a know of over +6

Might look at the intake next but I’ll wait for tuner to diagnose the new log.

Race life!

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Octane depends on how its rated, your tune may be for US 93 octane. Canadian 91 octane is not as good as canadian 94 , and that may not be as good as US 93 octane. IDK though , but have the tuner adjust as they see fit for your best fuel. I wouldnt go WOT again until its adjusted for your best fuel.

I think british 97 octane is about the same as US 91 octane.

https://www.economist.com/babbage/2012/09/17/difference-engine-who-needs-premium#targetText=In Europe, the octane rating,premium in the United States.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you unfortunately have shit gas up there. Just keep trying different stations until you get one that works the best. I have the same issues down here were I am at, the 93 just isn't that great.
Sponsored