2018 Bullitt Mustang (and Features) Confirmed in Window Sticker

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
A Lincoln sport coupe would be cool but that might be a tough sell. I think ford is wise to let that go.

The costs involved with modifying the chassis/unibody to differentiate it from the mustang and adding all the weight
of premium materials and sound deadening materials would make it even more of an overweight situation than what
it already is. With all that said and done would it even be a contender for the BMW M4, Infiniti Q60S, Jaguar F-Type,
MB AMG GT or Lexus RC or LC (A lot of product overlap on Lexus's part there). Personally, I would go for the F-Type.
I wasn't thinking sport coupe really, more just a luxury coupe along the lines of the C-Class, A5, and 4 Series. Toss in the usual EcoBoost motors and all-wheel drive in the S650 chassis, give it more elegant and flowing Lincoln bodywork with the Continental grill, throw in the Lincoln interior and call it a day. Sell it for 40-50k for the 4 cylinder versions, maybe have an EB V6 for a better straight-line performer at 55k or so. But Lincoln is going for comfy cruiser and that's what it should be, not a performance car like the Mustang.
Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
A CTS-V coupe competitor would be nice.

Maybe a Continental coupe with GT500 engine?

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt

Then you step on the Mustang toes. Lincoln already said they have no interest in performance cars. Their main targets are Lexus, Acura, Cadillac and Infiniti, with any cross shopping from the German companies being a bonus.

Reactions: JWS

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I wasn't thinking sport coupe really, more just a luxury coupe along the lines of the C-Class, A5, and 4 Series. Toss in the usual EcoBoost motors and all-wheel drive in the S650 chassis, give it more elegant and flowing Lincoln bodywork with the Continental grill, throw in the Lincoln interior and call it a day. Sell it for 40-50k for the 4 cylinder versions, maybe have an EB V6 for a better straight-line performer at 55k or so. But Lincoln is going for comfy cruiser and that's what it should be, not a performance car like the Mustang.
I hear what your saying there.

That's what I originally thought as Lincoln and Caddy are natural competitors.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with that market is the brands already well established in it have a strangle hold. Lincoln doesn't have the recognition needed.

You have to come out with a car that's head and shoulders better than the competition, for a lower cost and lose your ass for a lot of years before it becomes a status symbol, because that's like half of what those cars are and what a lot of people buy them for.

GM has been fighting for the luxury segment for a long time and they are treading water. Those stupid ass "Real people. Not actors" commercials point to this. The debadged Malibu commercial was an attempt to get higher-ish profile shoppers to look at Chevy because without a badge it seems like a nice car. People in that target market shop by brand. If they want to show off that they "made it" they do so by buying an expensive, established brand. It took Lexus forever to get into that segment and no company wants to take the beatings financially while they build that image.

You can tell Ford is trying, but it's somewhat limited. I was genuinely surprised when they came out with the 3.0EB and said it was a Lincoln engine only. They want to push the market away from associating Ford=Lincoln and that's one angle. They probably could have given the navigator a punched out 3.5 to a 3.8 or something but those will probably sell well enough considering everyone wants an SUV right now and they are hella bad ass.

Sponsored

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
The Lincoln would benefit as a 4 door coupe with "suicide doors"
Unfortunately Lincoln is not one to take chances with production vehicles. So many people at the auto shows that I observe loved the Continental concept suicide doors and were disappointed when the production car looked like an ordinary sedan. Same with the new Navigator. Gull wing doors on the concept had everyone flocking at the NY show and the production version, while nice, is just an ordinary SUV. Meanwhile, the Tesla SUV with the gull wings is a hit at every Cars and Coffee it shows up at in my area.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The problem with that market is the brands already well established in it have a strangle hold. Lincoln doesn't have the recognition needed.

You have to come out with a car that's head and shoulders better than the competition, for a lower cost and lose your ass for a lot of years before it becomes a status symbol, because that's like half of what those cars are and what a lot of people buy them for.

GM has been fighting for the luxury segment for a long time and they are treading water. Those stupid ass "Real people. Not actors" commercials point to this. The debadged Malibu commercial was an attempt to get higher-ish profile shoppers to look at Chevy because without a badge it seems like a nice car. People in that target market shop by brand. If they want to show off that they "made it" they do so by buying an expensive, established brand. It took Lexus forever to get into that segment and no company wants to take the beatings financially while they build that image.

You can tell Ford is trying, but it's somewhat limited. I was genuinely surprised when they came out with the 3.0EB and said it was a Lincoln engine only. They want to push the market away from associating Ford=Lincoln and that's one angle. They probably could have given the navigator a punched out 3.5 to a 3.8 or something but those will probably sell well enough considering everyone wants an SUV right now and they are hella bad ass.
I agree it's tough, which is why it'll probably never happen. I was just floating the idea that with the Mustang eating all the development costs anyway, re-skinning it in Lincoln trim would be cheaper and easier than other companies building one from the ground up and less risky too if nobody bites.

I'm already seeing the new Navigators all over the place around here. A badly needed success for Lincoln since the Continental sadly flopped. Happy to see the Navigator has been a hit.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I agree it's tough, which is why it'll probably never happen. I was just floating the idea that with the Mustang eating all the development costs anyway, re-skinning it in Lincoln trim would be cheaper and easier than other companies building one from the ground up and less risky too if nobody bites.

I'm already seeing the new Navigators all over the place around here. A badly needed success for Lincoln since the Continental sadly flopped. Happy to see the Navigator has been a hit.
It is fun to think about. The rendering of that sporty Lincoln is gorgeous, I wouldn't mind seeing one built with a SC coyote or a NA CPC 5.2 but I'm dreaming obviously lol.

The Navigator is going to be to Lincoln that the Escalade is to Cadillac. It will hold up the brand while they look for a "hit."

Oh and another issue is the service centers for Lincoln, Ford needs to do more to address that but you can tell they are working on it with their "black label" or whatever they call it service. The Germans have dealer service figured out to the point where it's almost worth the additional premium of the car. My mom had a C300 and while it was head and shoulders less reliable than her Explorer, she still sold the Explorer after it had one issue. I think the confidence she got from the Ford dealership was enough to push her away forever.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
It is fun to think about. The rendering of that sporty Lincoln is gorgeous, I wouldn't mind seeing one built with a SC coyote or a NA CPC 5.2 but I'm dreaming obviously lol.

The Navigator is going to be to Lincoln that the Escalade is to Cadillac. It will hold up the brand while they look for a "hit."

Oh and another issue is the service centers for Lincoln, Ford needs to do more to address that but you can tell they are working on it with their "black label" or whatever they call it service. The Germans have dealer service figured out to the point where it's almost worth the additional premium of the car. My mom had a C300 and while it was head and shoulders less reliable than her Explorer, she still sold the Explorer after it had one issue. I think the confidence she got from the Ford dealership was enough to push her away forever.
Very true. My wife leases a C300 and the service is the best I've ever experienced hands down. Then again, you pay for it too. A yearly "Service A1" which is essentially an oil change, tire rotation and inspection runs ~$200. Personally, Ford service isn't so bad considering it's less than half the price. Anyway, sorry mods for getting off-topic :p

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Then you step on the Mustang toes. Lincoln already said they have no interest in performance cars. Their main targets are Lexus, Acura, Cadillac and Infiniti, with any cross shopping from the German companies being a bonus.

ALL of those brands have a performance car. F Sport, NSX, CTS V, Red Sport. + the M series, and what ever Benz has now.

Sponsored

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack

I have great news for you! Since the CTS-V coupe was discontinued when the Gen 2 CTS ended, Lincoln does have a direct competitor to it... NOTHING!

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I think Lincoln would do well with a Mustang based vehicle. My dad recently purchased a Lexus RC350 to replace his G37. He bought the G37 partially because it was a slightly more mature version of my 350z. I tried to recommend a Mustang as a replacement, but he wasn’t even interested. He felt that he was too old for a Mustang.

I think a Lincoln option with the 2.7 turbo 6 or similar would be a great option. Use Magneride with softer springs and damper settings, a nicer interior setup, and it might do great things to the Lincoln brand. Probably wouldn’t sell much, but I think the branding would be very valuable long term. And show that Ford is serious about keeping Lincoln around. A new MarkX.

-T

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I would have thought the Lincoln sports coupe be a no-brainer. Take the Mustang chassis and move the cabin back a bit, rack the windscreen a little more, remove the back seat, take some weight out and end up with an affordable DB9 type of vehicle. Plop in a down-sized Coyote, something like 4.2L, and EcoBoost it, and wow, what a monster. :cheers:
There, we did it again. I should be working for Ford, in some kind of think tank. Again, Ford please feel free to use this idea too! :D
It’s called a Daytona.
Sponsored