2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

Devirus69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 2017 Camaro 2SS
Hey all, I’ve got a 2019 and I picked up a set of mufflers on the cheap but need the actuators and the springs. I’ve found a cheap set of actuators but they don’t have the interface springs to go between the actuator and the valve.

Is that a part that comes with the actuators if you buy them new?
Can they be purchased separately? I’ve also read somewhere about using a Mopar spring instead?

Any help would be appreciated.
In my experience usually it's better to buy from dealership in this case. I bought a pair of mufflers out of OH, I believe the kit is like a valve rebuild kit or something
Sponsored

Devirus69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Anyways, if you have the wiring on the car and you get everything set up. In the 19+ theres a master switch you have to turn on in a tuning program. Mine was HPTuners. Use the beta version so you see the master switch, enable it. Pay for the credits and upload to the car. (You need the MPVI2 dongle.) Turn the codes on in forscan and you wont have to go to a shop to have them do so.

I dont like the idea of a locked tune, I want to play with the burble effect etc. All of these "reputable" tuners lock their tunes. Just my own preference.

919.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmanuel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Anyways, if you have the wiring on the car and you get everything set up. In the 19+ theres a master switch you have to turn on in a tuning program. Mine was HPTuners. Use the beta version so you see the master switch, enable it. Pay for the credits and upload to the car. (You need the MPVI2 dongle.) Turn the codes on in forscan and you wont have to go to a shop to have them do so.

I dont like the idea of a locked tune, I want to play with the burble effect etc. All of these "reputable" tuners lock their tunes. Just my own preference.
Hi Devirus, Were you able to get yours working like factory? I saw that you're also located in the Raleigh NC area and I'm trying to get some assistance getting mine working on a 2019 GT non-AE. I'm Lund tuned I asked them if they unlocked it on their tune and they told me they did, but I have not tried changing the as built data yet through forescan.

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Interesting option for some of the guys who want to go the manual route. I found that the actuators out of BMWs are basically the same thing that Ford uses but the output shaft is clocked 90*

it’s pretty easy to pull it apart though and adjust the clocking. Side benefit, there are LOTS of used actuators on eBay and elsewhere for pretty cheap.

Also you can break the seal with a razor knife and it’s much less invasive than the Dremel option. Just follow the seam around with some force and you can split the two halves apart pretty cleanly.

4ABDED0B-CC05-403D-8945-960BBF6EFB27.jpg

5EE215A5-E48A-477D-8E08-FAB68390CBA3.jpeg

Devirus69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Hi Devirus, Were you able to get yours working like factory? I saw that you're also located in the Raleigh NC area and I'm trying to get some assistance getting mine working on a 2019 GT non-AE. I'm Lund tuned I asked them if they unlocked it on their tune and they told me they did, but I have not tried changing the as built data yet through forescan.
Yes, it works, we have tested before having the factory AE mufflers put on the car which we are doing saturday. It functions the same as factory. All controlled inside the car through the dash.

Sponsored

Devirus69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Interesting option for some of the guys who want to go the manual route. I found that the actuators out of BMWs are basically the same thing that Ford uses but the output shaft is clocked 90*

it’s pretty easy to pull it apart though and adjust the clocking. Side benefit, there are LOTS of used actuators on eBay and elsewhere for pretty cheap.

Also you can break the seal with a razor knife and it’s much less invasive than the Dremel option. Just follow the seam around with some force and you can split the two halves apart pretty cleanly.

4ABDED0B-CC05-403D-8945-960BBF6EFB27.jpg

5EE215A5-E48A-477D-8E08-FAB68390CBA3.jpeg
Always a fun option, if you could find a part out car like I did shouldn't be too bad. I can see if i can find the link in which i searched across the U.S. for a 2018+ gt exhaust. Then it's just a matter of sifting through the pictures to find one with AE. Unit was 300 then shipping was around 145-175 I think.

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Always a fun option, if you could find a part out car like I did shouldn't be too bad. I can see if i can find the link in which i searched across the U.S. for a 2018+ gt exhaust. Then it's just a matter of sifting through the pictures to find one with AE. Unit was 300 then shipping was around 145-175 I think.
I’m at about $65 at this point. I think interfacing with the stock system would be nice, but I didn’t want to mess with anything that might mess with the warranty on my new car just yet.

Plus, this is a fun little project to see how cheap I can do it for.

Last edited:

terion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Volodymyr
Vehicle(s)
GT PP MT 2016 (restyled)
Is there any chance still to get the mufflers for ~$185? I look online and best price I see is ~$650 each =(

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
Is there any chance still to get the mufflers for ~$185? I look online and best price I see is ~$650 each =(
I found a seller on eBay with two new takeoff active exhaust systems. I reached out and asked if they would cut the mufflers off and just ship me them non-freight. They were totally cool and had no problem sending just the mufflers through UPS. They arrived in perfect condition.

They have one more system if you're interested:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193683369657

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Went a different route, being that I always drive the active exhaust mode in track.

Selected track, shut down the car pulled the plugs on the valves. Now 1 step start up, select sport ++ and drive on, much better.

This is an informative thread, if I go the Roush muffler route. Now know there is a market to unload the stock set.

Sponsored

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
There definitely is, I had a WTB ad hanging out for a while looking for a set.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I found a seller on eBay with two new takeoff active exhaust systems. I reached out and asked if they would cut the mufflers off and just ship me them non-freight. They were totally cool and had no problem sending just the mufflers through UPS. They arrived in perfect condition.

They have one more system if you're interested:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193683369657
That's a great price. Shipping is almost the same as the exhaust lol. Was a good idea just getting the mufflers.

Vinnyo09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt
Im new to all this and ive read a ton of different things from people. I have a 2019 gt with the borla atak mufflers that have the active valve flaps in them. I want to add this feature so what do I need to do? Do I need to get the two actuators, and the jumpers for both sides? I was hoping that it would be just plugging into a harness left empty from factory and then programming it into the car.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
How about some more reading here is the install PDF, should answer the questions. I say stick with the manufacture, as the resource .

Attachments

Vinnyo09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt
How about some more reading here is the install PDF, should answer the questions. I say stick with the manufacture, as the resource .
You misunderstood what I asked. I got the car without the active system from factory. I want to add it to the car now with that exhaust system which i already put on.
Sponsored