Sponsored

2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Have a 19 Mustang and I have enabled the AE in Forscan. I installed the harness and actuators to test and I have run into the following:

The actuators run what I assume is a zeroing procedure; going through the range of motion. The gauge cluster shows exhaust mode selection unavailable.
Contact a reputable tuner to turn it on. Ford disabled it, probably after they found out people were installing it themselves.
Sponsored

twalli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
active exhaust IPC module code.PNG
I have a 2018 GT with a digital dash that came prewired for AE with the connector in the rear. I bought the motors and harnesses and installed them last night. I also used FORSCAN to modify one line in the "720-10-01" line (see picture). After I changed the first value in that line from "D" to "E," I was able to access the AE modes in my dash. I am able to drive the motors but they will only fully close or fully open. "Quiet mode" fully closes the motors but "Normal," "Sport," and "Track" only fully open the doors. I can click between the last 3 options and nothing will change. Also, going from "Quiet" to any of the other 3 options will have the same result of fully opening the motors. Does anyone have any ideas here?

JRedondox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Can someone post the gt350 and 2020 gt500 AE wiring diagrams??? thanks!

Rock50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I have a 2018 GT with a digital dash that came prewired for AE with the connector in the rear. I bought the motors and harnesses and installed them last night. I also used FORSCAN to modify one line in the "720-10-01" line (see picture). After I changed the first value in that line from "D" to "E," I was able to access the AE modes in my dash. I am able to drive the motors but they will only fully close or fully open. "Quiet mode" fully closes the motors but "Normal," "Sport," and "Track" only fully open the doors. I can click between the last 3 options and nothing will change. Also, going from "Quiet" to any of the other 3 options will have the same result of fully opening the motors. Does anyone have any ideas here?
This is the correct behavior if the engine is not started and you just have accessory power. Behaves differently once the engine is started and I am driving. Definitely can hear the difference between normal and track mode.

twalli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This is the correct behavior if the engine is not started and you just have accessory power. Behaves differently once the engine is started and I am driving. Definitely can hear the difference between normal and track mode.
After reading your post and listening a little closer, I can tell a difference now. I had thought that it was more distinguishable like the ones that I test drove but I guess I just misremembered.

Pretty inexpensive mod that I love having now. Thanks everyone for the write ups! If anyone has any questions about how I did mine, let me know. All in, it cost me about $500

Sponsored

koldrid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT500
After reading your post and listening a little closer, I can tell a difference now. I had thought that it was more distinguishable like the ones that I test drove but I guess I just misremembered.

Pretty inexpensive mod that I love having now. Thanks everyone for the write ups! If anyone has any questions about how I did mine, let me know. All in, it cost me about $500
What exhaust did you go with. Glad the parts worked out for someone.

twalli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What exhaust did you go with. Glad the parts worked out for someone.
I bought the full stock AE system from someone who installed a new full exhaust for $100. I still have the stock resonator on there but I'll probably swap it out for the X pipe that came on the car from the previous owner.

Tweeter2148

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Can anyone confirm that the active exhaust motors part number from Ford has change to JR3Z-6554-A for the 2018+ GT ones?

The description doesn't sound right to me at all "Arm Assembly - Valve Rocker" and most places that I know of (at least in my area) won't return a special ordered item since they don't stock them in their warehouse.

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black/Black GT Premium A10 PP1 Magnaride
I do see that part number listed as the replacement for JR3Z-5K245-B (which are the ones i bought when i added AE). That said the part number i bought was listed as a valve repair kit. It comes with the motor and a spring that connects the motor to the valve in the exhaust pipe. So even though it sounds odd you could make the case that it is the arm (spring) assembly that rocks the valve open/closed. And they are now $100 each cheaper then when i got them. If you call one of the places they have pictures of it and can confirm for you as well.

Devirus69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 2017 Camaro 2SS
My GF got a 2020 gt premium, no active exhaust. Looking to try and finesse a AE on here and enabling it like factory, I have read through this thread but still a little confused, the people who did NOT have the plugs in the rear what did you tap to get the signal wires down, I saw a post from ehazle most of the wires are there except for a gray one he mentions but his is also a 18, from what i gather 19 and up are slightly different but mostly programming. Attached is a picture of her connector under driver side, seeing if this makes sense because the wires are coming out the female end but dont go all the way to the back as far as I know.
20200816_172507.jpg

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
My GF got a 2020 gt premium, no active exhaust. Looking to try and finesse a AE on here and enabling it like factory, I have read through this thread but still a little confused, the people who did NOT have the plugs in the rear what did you tap to get the signal wires down, I saw a post from ehazle most of the wires are there except for a gray one he mentions but his is also a 18, from what i gather 19 and up are slightly different but mostly programming. Attached is a picture of her connector under driver side, seeing if this makes sense because the wires are coming out the female end but dont go all the way to the back as far as I know.
20200816_172507.jpg
Working with wiring harnesses for years I know that when a manufacturer runs out of non-AE harnesses they are likely to install AE harnesses to keep the production line running. This may be why some non-AE cars end up with most of the wiring for AE and other options that the car doesn't have.

Devirus69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Working with wiring harnesses for years I know that when a manufacturer runs out of non-AE harnesses they are likely to install AE harnesses to keep the production line running. This may be why some non-AE cars end up with most of the wiring for AE and other options that the car doesn't have.
After I posted it, I think I may of found the wires in the trunk, I beleive I need the harness from the trunk to under the car, then the other normal harnesses. Looking for the name or item number for that harness.

The pcm harness didnt make sense to me if it was there and coming out the female side where did the wires go, appears to be in the trunk so crossing my fingers that's it. Colors match up with what's under the drivers side.

Devirus69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have a picture of the connector/harness that goes from inside the trunk to under the car for the AE? Also anyone have the part number for it? My wires stop in the trunk it looks like and need the harnesses for trunk to under car, then the other 2 harnesses.

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey all, I’ve got a 2019 and I picked up a set of mufflers on the cheap but need the actuators and the springs. I’ve found a cheap set of actuators but they don’t have the interface springs to go between the actuator and the valve.

Is that a part that comes with the actuators if you buy them new?
Can they be purchased separately? I’ve also read somewhere about using a Mopar spring instead?

Any help would be appreciated.

Devirus69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
anyone manage to get the Active Exhaust Master Switch enabled in HPtuners? i found it in HPTuners, hopefully thats whats needed to get it active w.o going to someone else.
Sponsored