Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So for someone just tuning in:
I have a 2018 with the plugs and 401a. What do I need to get a functional active exhaust? The mufflers with the actuators and the wiring harness?
Sponsored

Roppolo_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 10R80
So for someone just tuning in:
I have a 2018 with the plugs and 401a. What do I need to get a functional active exhaust? The mufflers with the actuators and the wiring harness?
If you have the wiring in your fuse box for active exhaust install the 15a fuse and relay then order all 3 wiring harnesses and valves listed in my previous note a page or 2 back. It will cost around $700. I would recommend installing fuse and relay and use forscan to activate the exhaust menu in the dash and test for 12v power at rear harness connection before buying hard parts. My car was not wired under the hood for fuse power so I abandoned the idea. I decided on borla S-Type passive and I'm very happy with results.

UnkTob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible Premium
If you have the wiring in your fuse box for active exhaust install the 15a fuse and relay then order all 3 wiring harnesses and valves listed in my previous note a page or 2 back. It will cost around $700. I would recommend installing fuse and relay and use forscan to activate the exhaust menu in the dash and test for 12v power at rear harness connection before buying hard parts. My car was not wired under the hood for fuse power so I abandoned the idea. I decided on borla S-Type passive and I'm very happy with results.
Hi Roppolo_5oh! Thanks for your inputs on this thread. There's lots of info but it is a bit hard to find what we are looking for with now 24 pages of posts. lol I found your post #455 on page 23, and you mentioned the parts needed if someone has the harness at the back plus the fuse & relay at the front. You mention the actuators and the harnesses, but what about the actual active exhaust mufflers? You mentioned around $700 total, but it seems like they are asking for that much just for each muffler now. Plus, doesn't the factory active muffler come with the actuator? Appreciate any clarification. Thanks again!! :like:

Roppolo_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
Hi Roppolo_5oh! Thanks for your inputs on this thread. There's lots of info but it is a bit hard to find what we are looking for with now 24 pages of posts. lol I found your post #455 on page 23, and you mentioned the parts needed if someone has the harness at the back plus the fuse & relay at the front. You mention the actuators and the harnesses, but what about the actual active exhaust mufflers? You mentioned around $700 total, but it seems like they are asking for that much just for each muffler now. Plus, doesn't the factory active muffler come with the actuator? Appreciate any clarification. Thanks again!! :like:
$700 is less the active mufflers. I would suggest just going aftermarket. Borla sells cat backs that replace the factory active mufflers for around $1900

UnkTob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible Premium
$700 is less the active mufflers. I would suggest just going aftermarket. Borla sells cat backs that replace the factory active mufflers for around $1900
Yeah. Sucks it is so expensive now. Wasn't long ago you could get the active mufflers for $400 for both! I did find someone with a used muffler set up (actually full stock cat-back) with the active mufflers, minus the actuators of course. I"ve been a fan of Magnaflow ever since the early days of Overhauling, but man... so expensive! Over $1800, not counting the $700 for the actuators and other crap. I'll have to ask around at the next cruise to see who is running the Borla system with active and see what they sound like. Hmmm... somebody about an 8 hour drive each way from me is selling their used Cat back stock for $250 without the factory actuators. That could save me $1000, but cost a fair amount in gas and a stay at a hotel. It is all one piece, so I was thinking I'd have to take my 2006 Navigator (and it's awesome 11 mpg), but I could bring my reciprocating saw and cut it apart and make it fit inside the Mustang for the trip home. Interesting. haha.... I'd have to cut the resonator out to fit it inside the Mustang for the trip home, but then maybe I could replace the stock resonator with an H or X pipe. Seems backwards to have stock muffs with aftermarket X or H pipe. LOL

Sponsored

Roppolo_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
Yeah. Sucks it is so expensive now. Wasn't long ago you could get the active mufflers for $400 for both! I did find someone with a used muffler set up (actually full stock cat-back) with the active mufflers, minus the actuators of course. I"ve been a fan of Magnaflow ever since the early days of Overhauling, but man... so expensive! Over $1800, not counting the $700 for the actuators and other crap. I'll have to ask around at the next cruise to see who is running the Borla system with active and see what they sound like. Hmmm... somebody about an 8 hour drive each way from me is selling their used Cat back stock for $250 without the factory actuators. That could save me $1000, but cost a fair amount in gas and a stay at a hotel. It is all one piece, so I was thinking I'd have to take my 2006 Navigator (and it's awesome 11 mpg), but I could bring my reciprocating saw and cut it apart and make it fit inside the Mustang for the trip home. Interesting. haha.... I'd have to cut the resonator out to fit it inside the Mustang for the trip home, but then maybe I could replace the stock resonator with an H or X pipe. Seems backwards to have stock muffs with aftermarket X or H pipe. LOL
You would not be happy with the stock active mufflers. It's alot of coin but its worth it. Buy the borla active setup and you will be happy you did. Good luck man

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
How were people saying that they got the mufflers from their local dealer for ~$180? I went to Ford today and they quoted me $500 a muffler, but that it only comes as an entire exhaust system from the headers all the way back and it's like $2000.

Roppolo_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
How were people saying that they got the mufflers from their local dealer for ~$180? I went to Ford today and they quoted me $500 a muffler, but that it only comes as an entire exhaust system from the headers all the way back and it's like $2000.
Supply and demand...Just buy the Borla

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I spent 450 bucks a year ago for the 2 mufflers and the 3 pigtails from Levittown Ford. They really jacked up the prices.

Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Hey guys - is this the most recent/accurate part number for the two active exhaust mufflers?

KR3Z-5230-D.

Trying to find list price for insurance cost reimbursement..

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
2019 with 401a package, I have the plug, but no connectors in the 59 relay slot in the fuse.

Have we found an option to power the actuators to use the dash selection?

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black/Black GT Premium A10 PP1 Magnaride
Just got my 2019 - 401A, Magnaride, Safe and Smart, PP1, and 10 Speed and I have the connector and I already have the fuse and relay installed from the factory in the fuse panel already. I will definitely be attempting to get this working using a set of borla or corsa active cat back. Now to spend some more time reading.

20190831_110854.jpg
20190831_220320.jpg

Barret72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
To piggy back off of SolarFlares question:

I have recently acquired an Active exhaust without the actuators. Solarflares question was if the GT350 Actuators would actually open and shut the valves on the active exhaust. Currently the GT350 actuators are priced much lower then the "Valve Rebuild Kit" that has the actuators for the regular active exhaust.

If someone can confirm that the GT350 actuators work to open and shut the exhaust valves I would do a write up on how to wire the actuators to a switch in the front or see if there is a wireless option.

On Edit, this is not using the OEM wiring. This would involve wiring the Actuators to open via a switch or other option and not through the Ford PCM or computer.

Last edited:

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black/Black GT Premium A10 PP1 Magnaride
Does anyone know on an AE equipped car if you removed the actuator from the muffler and had someone change modes while looking at where it attaches to the plate if you could see it moving, not the plate the actuator attachment point? If not does anyone know the voltages that should be coming out of what pins on the 4 point actuator connector? I turned it on and got my harnesses. I have some power between pins 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 depending on which side of the connector I am coming from I cant see the numbers. I just wanted to make sure all is able to work before I get the exhaust. Thanks
Sponsored