Sponsored

2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
So has anyone besides SVTsnake gotten the system running as a factory install? He posted once but we never got any details about activating the system in Forscan. I am looking to get the parts ordered. Just want to confirm this definitely will work as I have no experience with forscan.
I believe someone posted on here how to enable it. Reason why there isn’t many running is bc of the availability of the harness.
Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Maybe this has been talked about, but couldn’t find it. With the active exhaust mufflers, is the open side
baffled at all or just straight pipes through the muffler? If so, what would be any different than having cutouts prior to the mufflers as far as sound goes?

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Maybe this has been talked about, but couldn’t find it. With the active exhaust mufflers, is the open side
baffled at all or just straight pipes through the muffler? If so, what would be any different than having cutouts prior to the mufflers as far as sound goes?
I don't think anyone has opened one of these up, so I can't say for sure, but when mine was on the rack getting the mufflers installed, I could see that the outer (always open) exits had what looked like a perforated fiber lining that would damp the sound. When looking into the center (valved) exits, all I saw was pipe. That doesn't mean that there isn't a resonating chamber inside the muffler that alters the sound/volume, which is pretty likely.

Having heard what exhaust cutouts sound like on the Coyote, the active mufflers don't sound anything like it, even with the butterflies fully open. It's super smooth, and you get some popping and cracking on downshifts when the butterflies are open, but the tone is way better than any other set of mufflers I've heard on the Coyote.

JR

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For anyone waiting on ordering the pigtails that connect to the motors (JR3Z-14A411-H), they were nationally backordered until 2-AUG, but I just received a shipment notification from Levittown Ford that they've shipped. Once I get them, I'll verify that they're the correct pigtail to connect the mid-harness to the motors.

JR

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
They are straight through but resonated. They will be quieter but deeper sounding then a straight pipe through.

Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
This seems like such a great idea, but man I could see myself botching the wiring on this thing!

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
This seems like such a great idea, but man I could see myself botching the wiring on this thing!
It's plug and play if you have the harness with the connection for it. Seems like some cars have it and some don't.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
It's plug and play if you have the harness with the connection for it. Seems like some cars have it and some don't.
Yeah, although I'm working on the work around for that. Mine is one of the "don't haves" even though it's a premium 401a car. Not sure what dictates if you get the pre-wired harness or not, but it's obviously some option set. Maybe the premium stereo, or magride, or a vert...who knows.

Anyway, the PCM pins for this are known, and the back of the harness is pretty easy to access. So...in theory you just need to run 4 wires from the PCM to the actuators for control, plus switched 12v power and ground, and a forscan mod to get this setup working if you are lacking the pre-wire like I am. Once I have all the info and parts in hand, I'll take a crack at this with a writeup so folks with an 18, but no pre-wire, can add this system.

I'm pretty happy with my solo setup, but now that I see what should be involved in adding this I want to do it just for the hell of it.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a 2015. :(

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
So a bit of an update. I've been digging through my car a bit, and while it is NOT pre-wired back to the trunk, it does look like the wires are in the PCM already. So the connection terminates somewhere south of the PCM. Given the diagram that was posted in this thread earlier, it looks like there are a few junctions along the way where that could happen. I need to walk back along the harness and find where the wires terminate, and that's where I'll tie in.

I'll post up once I verify with 100% certainty that the wires I'm tracking out of the PCM are the correct ones, and let folks know where they can pick them up. I have not checked the power circuit yet, but I'm less worried about switched 12V power right now, as that's the easy problem.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got a 2015. :(
Get in touch with Sam (breeves002). He sold me the DC-DC buck converter I'm using, and could probably set you up with a complete solution, if you were willing to spend a couple bucks.

Honestly, wiring it up isn't that bad. My harness is ready to go into the car, just waiting on the pigtails to connect directly to the actuators, which will be here tomorrow.

JR

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
@breeves002 if your interested in doing something like that shoot me a pm!

Get in touch with Sam (breeves002). He sold me the DC-DC buck converter I'm using, and could probably set you up with a complete solution, if you were willing to spend a couple bucks.

Honestly, wiring it up isn't that bad. My harness is ready to go into the car, just waiting on the pigtails to connect directly to the actuators, which will be here tomorrow.

JR

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
So a bit of an update. I've been digging through my car a bit, and while it is NOT pre-wired back to the trunk, it does look like the wires are in the PCM already. So the connection terminates somewhere south of the PCM. Given the diagram that was posted in this thread earlier, it looks like there are a few junctions along the way where that could happen. I need to walk back along the harness and find where the wires terminate, and that's where I'll tie in.

I'll post up once I verify with 100% certainty that the wires I'm tracking out of the PCM are the correct ones, and let folks know where they can pick them up. I have not checked the power circuit yet, but I'm less worried about switched 12V power right now, as that's the easy problem.

Any update?

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Any update?
Not yet. I have a friend who's a tech at a ford dealership with access to the wiring diagrams, and he's supposed to be getting me all the connection locations. He hasn't had time to get it all together yet, but once he does I'll start checking them to see where the wires terminate. As soon as I have that info, I'll post up.

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
Not yet. I have a friend who's a tech at a ford dealership with access to the wiring diagrams, and he's supposed to be getting me all the connection locations. He hasn't had time to get it all together yet, but once he does I'll start checking them to see where the wires terminate. As soon as I have that info, I'll post up.
:fistbump:
hope it is not something too complicated :please:
Sponsored