2017 engine is being replaced

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My 2017 has 12k on it. Burns 🔥 a quart of oil every 250mi (got progressively worse to get to that point). Piston slap at 2k RPM 🙌 . Did the oil consumption test thing.

I have a great dealer (grew up with the general manager and have bought many Fords and referred countless customers). It took them 3 weeks with Ford to get the OK. Dealer reported 6 of 8 cylinders scored, oil evident on top of pistons by scoping. Despite that, Ford said tear it down and find out why "to prevent future problems", obviously that makes ZERO sense, dealer pushed them until they did the right thing. Dealer says they have replaced 2 other GT350 engines.

Good news is that it will be a long block and Ford has it in stock. I don't care about the whole numbers matching thing, I drive the car, not just look at it. I did tell them I want the signature plate. Dealer is going to try and get my warranty extended after the engine is in. I did buy a 48k, 8yr warranty with the car, so I have 3 years left. I'd like more.

There is nothing like the VooDoo. The sound and revs... :rockon: I could trade to a GT500 (they have one and would help me), but I like naturally aspirated and the stick, and don't need more HP.

One more thing. Dealers are suffering with mechanic shortages just like every service industry is. Be patient. I told my dealer to get the engine and stick it in a corner. I'll take the car back for now and drive it for a couple of months before winter sets in, then they can have it as long as they want.

Any other advice for me during the engine replacement is welcome. Thanks
Sponsored

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
Curious in the beginning how much oil did it burn?

Good to see dealer taking care of you....the mechanic shortage is just starting I think...too many parents look.down on their kids wanting a blue collar career...

Many don't realize a diesel mechanic or an ASE L1 or L2 certified mechanic can make 6 figures

I work in the automotive aftermarket and think this just beginning

OP
OP
scd603

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

Good to see dealer taking care of you....the mechanic shortage is just starting I think...too many parents look.down on their kids wanting a blue collar career...

Many don't realize a diesel mechanic or an ASE L1 or L2 certified mechanic can make 6 figures

I think the problems began in earnest after 5k, by 10k I was at the quart per 250mi.

Without getting political... There are many ways the government encourages and helps kids financially to go to college. These days a good chunk of them get out of school with a degree that doesn't get them into a good-paying job. I totally agree with your comment on mechanics. Especially these days with computers so integral to cars. There is also good pay to be had in other trades. And none of them can be outsourced overseas. All of us are glad for the guys who fixes our heat on a cold night, wires a new light, gets the plumbing fixed, and of course gets you car back on the road.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
No you are correct and it’s not political, but kids spend 100k or more on a history degree, English lit, communications or something like that and then they graduate and to their chagrin that pay shit salaries…and the loans come due. I have a nephew that got a degree in film and cinema, well it’s mostly computers now….the news stations use robotic cameras…they don’t need camera and sound operators…..so after graduation and working at gym and bars, he now has a good job in the trucking industry as a route planner and dispatcher and makes good money.

Plus we need more plumbers and electricians and HVAC people. And appliance repair! Had a guy fix my dryer and dishwasher….I was his last call after 34 years of doing it. The firm he worked for was folding , they simply can’t get young people into careers like that.

Lapptopp

Threads
Reaction score
Colorado, Eastern Plains (no emissions or traffic)
Vehicle(s)
17' Mustang Gt Ruby Red Metallic Base Stick
I'm an electrician in a smaller community in Colorado and we can't seem to find any young people who want to get in this trade. Every other year I get a new 20 something apprentice who basically just audits the job and then moves on. I'm the second youngest of our 6 electricians at age 48. It feels like no one wants to get in the trades anymore. There aren't many careers I know of that allow the freedom, variety and creativity that I enjoy, and the pay isn't half bad either. Why would you get into a mountain of debt when someone is desperate to pay you to learn something?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
My 2017 has 12k on it. Burns 🔥 a quart of oil every 250mi (got progressively worse to get to that point). Piston slap at 2k RPM 🙌 . Did the oil consumption test thing.

I have a great dealer (grew up with the general manager and have bought many Fords and referred countless customers). It took them 3 weeks with Ford to get the OK. Dealer reported 6 of 8 cylinders scored, oil evident on top of pistons by scoping. Despite that, Ford said tear it down and find out why "to prevent future problems", obviously that makes ZERO sense, dealer pushed them until they did the right thing. Dealer says they have replaced 2 other GT350 engines.

Good news is that it will be a long block and Ford has it in stock. I don't care about the whole numbers matching thing, I drive the car, not just look at it. I did tell them I want the signature plate. Dealer is going to try and get my warranty extended after the engine is in. I did buy a 48k, 8yr warranty with the car, so I have 3 years left. I'd like more.

There is nothing like the VooDoo. The sound and revs... :rockon: I could trade to a GT500 (they have one and would help me), but I like naturally aspirated and the stick, and don't need more HP.

One more thing. Dealers are suffering with mechanic shortages just like every service industry is. Be patient. I told my dealer to get the engine and stick it in a corner. I'll take the car back for now and drive it for a couple of months before winter sets in, then they can have it as long as they want.

Any other advice for me during the engine replacement is welcome. Thanks
Good to hear Ford is replacing the existing engine with a long block. Like you said, some folks don’t care about a numbers matched drivetrain and others have a fit…. It’s good too that you’re enjoying the car as it was designed and not mothballing it.

Just so you know, if you’re going for an extended warranty, go for the most miles and years, period. In case you are not aware, any ESP plan runs concurrently with the existing New Car 3/36 and the 5/60 Powertrain. ESP’s aren’t an extension after the 3/36 or 5/60 runs out. In fact, many don’t know this either, but even the 5/60 Powertrain runs concurrently with the 3/36… so after the 3/36 burns out, you really only have 2/24 left of the Powertrain.

Rose City R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie R code, 2020 GT350R, 1991 Mazda Miata SE
I'm sorry this happened to you. FWIW, it seems that some of the recent replacement engines have been the "KA" code, meaning it is a Gen2 Voodoo.

OP
OP
scd603

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm sorry this happened to you. FWIW, it seems that some of the recent replacement engines have been the "KA" code, meaning it is a Gen2 Voodoo.
I know the dealer well enough to ask them to look into and try for a KA. How would they know?

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch / 2017 GT350
I'm likely about to be in the same exact boat as the OP. I have a 17 with 12.5k, noticeable piston slap, and I'm now burning a quart at 250-300 miles (was previously every 1500-2000). Have an appointment next Friday the 15th. We'll see what they say when we run the official test. I love this car, but part of me wants to get rid of it and get a Raptor, but the other part says keep the car and the Gen 2 motor and enjoy it. Hoping your process goes smooth and I get some news one way or the other on mine.

Rose City R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie R code, 2020 GT350R, 1991 Mazda Miata SE
I know the dealer well enough to ask them to look into and try for a KA. How would they know?
My guess is Ford just sends out whatever replacement they have in stock, so they probably have gone through the Gen1 replacements.

Sponsored

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Good to hear Ford is replacing the existing engine with a long block. Like you said, some folks don’t care about a numbers matched drivetrain and others have a fit…. It’s good too that you’re enjoying the car as it was designed and not mothballing it.

Just so you know, if you’re going for an extended warranty, go for the most miles and years, period. In case you are not aware, any ESP plan runs concurrently with the existing New Car 3/36 and the 5/60 Powertrain. ESP’s aren’t an extension after the 3/36 or 5/60 runs out. In fact, many don’t know this either, but even the 5/60 Powertrain runs concurrently with the 3/36… so after the 3/36 burns out, you really only have 2/24 left of the Powertrain.
You can renew your ESP right before it expires if you want additional coverage again.

OP
OP
scd603

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm likely about to be in the same exact boat as the OP. I have a 17 with 12.5k, noticeable piston slap, and I'm now burning a quart at 250-300 miles (was previously every 1500-2000). Have an appointment next Friday the 15th. We'll see what they say when we run the official test. I love this car, but part of me wants to get rid of it and get a Raptor, but the other part says keep the car and the Gen 2 motor and enjoy it. Hoping your process goes smooth and I get some news one way or the other on mine.
Good luck. Let us know how you make out. Service manager says the Ford communication process is all web based, they can't talk to people. And it is the luck of the draw who they get. The one he got was a PIA at first, but persistence paid off and they agreed to the engine.

Last edited:

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch / 2017 GT350
Good luck. Let us know how you make out. Service manager says the Ford communication process is all web based, they can't talk to people. And it is the luck of the draw who they get. The one he got was a PIA at firs, but persistence paid off and they agreed to the engine.
For sure. Dropped it off this morning for them to start the “documentation process” which, the last time I brought this in when it was close but ultimately not enough to warrant an engine change, meant an oil change and dipstick marking and photographs. I imagine it’ll be the same this time and they’ll tell me to go drive it for a set time and come back. Probably will end up being a couple weeks of time between the start of it this week, and driving it enough to bring back for a check. I’ll let everyone know what happens.

Still not sure what I want to do with this thing. Keep it either way whether the engine gets changed or not, and enjoy it because I really do love the powerplant in this thing and the way it drives. Or, sell it and get something else. Really torn. With a kid and two dogs, a truck would probably be easier to deal with and I would enjoy it for what it is (we also have a Toyota Highlander), but I think I’d inevitably miss the sound and experience of driving this car. Sure, a Raptor is cool, but being able to wind this thing out to 8k is so much fun.

OP
OP
scd603

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My new engine is finally in and car is back. One hiccup when I first picked it up. Shifter was rattling/buzzing and check engine light was on intermittently. Turned it around and gave it back to the dealer. The shifter was missing a piece when they reassembled, and they needed to reflash the computer on the engine. I was a little peeved that no one seemed to have test driven it...

All good now, have driven it 100 miles. Went easy, kept RPMs below 4k and varied them. Fingers crossed there will be no more oil burning issues, or any other issues.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase

That is not the reason for a mechanic shortage.
Sponsored