Sponsored

2017/2018 Mach 1 Mustang Mule?

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Ford needs to start offering auto transmissions on all it's top cars. I can understand the GT350 since it's a track car. There is no reason this mach 1 or the GT500 won't have an automatic. They developed with GM the 10 speed auto, time to put it to good use. Just because you don't want an automatic doesn't mean consumers don't either. The manual isn't making a comeback, it's declining at a rapid pace, when it is outperformed and outsold by automatics.
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Lets agree to disagree. Of course autos are more popular for everyday cars and likely to stay that way. But sports cars in manual are making a comeback, like why the Porsche 911 GT3 is to offer manual, the Porsche GT4 is manual only, the Aston Martin Vantage S is manual only, the Jaguar F type is bringing a manual etc etc.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
^ So how much do those 'sports cars' weigh? Not sure the stang is a true sports car...

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The USA Cosworth plant wont be ready until 2018. If Ford got heads from Cosworth, you would not see them on a 5.0 before 2019 or 2020 model year.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Seems like they will ready for the S650.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The USA Cosworth plant wont be ready until 2018. If Ford got heads from Cosworth, you would not see them on a 5.0 before 2019 or 2020 model year.
Sounds perfect for a 50th anniversary Mach 1 for MY2019...

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Let's keep our fingers crossed for 2019 release.

Deranged1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I would expect a 2 year run for the mach1 and GT500 on the S550 platform before the S650 comes out. Just my opinion but my guess is we will see both for 2018 and 2019 MY.

HiFi

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8GT
Lets agree to disagree. Of course autos are more popular for everyday cars and likely to stay that way. But sports cars in manual are making a comeback, like why the Porsche 911 GT3 is to offer manual, the Porsche GT4 is manual only, the Aston Martin Vantage S is manual only, the Jaguar F type is bringing a manual etc etc.
Manuals are definitely not making a comeback. They're still holding on, but the sales of manual transmission cars continues to drop.

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
^ So how much do those 'sports cars' weigh? Not sure the stang is a true sports car...
I think it is. Once they added IRS, upped the Performance Pack/Track Pack specs, and gave us the GT350...

Yeah, it's a sports car. A bargain one, of course, nothing like an exotic. Nothing particularly exciting in regular trim, either. And it's still also a pony car. The types are not necessarily mutually exclusive, after all.

But I'd call it a sports car nonetheless. The Camaro, too. As much as I'm not a mopar guy (lulz), I'd have to say the Challenger is the last old skewl muscle car.

Sponsored

mbeale68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, base, perf pack, recaros, 5spd, guard
I'm not convinced that the Cosworth plant will produce heads for Ford V8s. It seems like Ford already has very good heads for the coyote and voodoo V8s.

The current rumors say that Chevy will initially release the new mid-engine corvette with the LT1, but that in 2019 a high performance version with a 32 valve V8 will follow. I wonder if GM might be Cosworth's partner.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I remember GM using Cosworth heads on the Cosworth Vega. I dont know of any street cars produced by FORD in America with Cosworth heads. I know Cosworth has worked with Ford to develop heads for their race engines. I see GM as the first to use the new Cosworth heads. As stated, Ford has some really good V8 heads. I dont know if Ford would benefit much but offering Mustangs with Cosworth heads.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Who says its just the heads? Maybe its the whole engine? Ford has got a long history with cosworth so its plausible their working on something.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I remember GM using Cosworth heads on the Cosworth Vega. I dont know of any street cars produced by FORD in America with Cosworth heads. I know Cosworth has worked with Ford to develop heads for their race engines. I see GM as the first to use the new Cosworth heads. As stated, Ford has some really good V8 heads. I dont know if Ford would benefit much but offering Mustangs with Cosworth heads.
Some good points here. I could see GM with all their problems with cost and expenses possibly needing a partner more than Ford does. Arguments could be made on both sides. I've always associated Cosworth more with Ford and Ford has been pulling on history and references from their past quite a bit lately. But then again I think Ford is pretty good with optimizing their engines and they probably don't need the help.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
DB83, I found the information about the US Cosworth factory in the May 26,2016 Automotive News article . According to the article, Cosworth will start by first producing V8 heads and eventually produce other parts. Considering General Motors past use of Cosworth heads on the Cosworth Vega,I think GM is the company to get the first Cosworth V8 heads.
Sponsored