HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
DConsidering General Motors past use of Cosworth heads on the Cosworth Vega,I think GM is the company to get the first Cosworth V8 heads.
Not seeing it.

I can't image Cosworth developing push rod heads for an existing GM V8 engine family.

And on the other hand, I can't imagine GM creating a new engine family or massively modified current family just so they can hire Cosworth to build heads for it while undermining their "we don't need OHCs for V8 performance" mantra unless they were about to retire the existing families and that would have been impossible to keep secret 'till now.
Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
If Ford has an interest in having turbos placed on top of an V8 engine, I can see Ford have Cosworth design and build heads with the intake and exhaust ports reversed. Then the exhaust headers would be on top of the engine. Most likely the engine would then be only for a rear engine car like a Ford GT. Perhaps the 2020 or 2021 Ford GT will a have twin turbo V8 rear engine. By going to Cosworth for the heads , Ford would not have to tool up for a low volume head design.

mbeale68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, base, perf pack, recaros, 5spd, guard
Good point. If Ford is considering at "Hot-V" turbo V8 then it might make sense for the to source the heads from someone like Cosworth.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Not seeing it.

I can't image Cosworth developing push rod heads for an existing GM V8 engine family.

And on the other hand, I can't imagine GM creating a new engine family or massively modified current family just so they can hire Cosworth to build heads for it while undermining their "we don't need OHCs for V8 performance" mantra unless they were about to retire the existing families and that would have been impossible to keep secret 'till now.
Wasn't it stated in an article somewhere that the mid engine Corvette would likely get a new DOHC V8? Seems like a high performance company like Cosworth might be perfect for the development of such an engine.

Sponsored

z460

MR.BIG SHOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
f250
I'm not convinced that the Cosworth plant will produce heads for Ford V8s. It seems like Ford already has very good heads for the coyote and voodoo V8s.

The current rumors say that Chevy will initially release the new mid-engine corvette with the LT1, but that in 2019 a high performance version with a 32 valve V8 will follow. I wonder if GM might be Cosworth's partner.
\\

LOL GM and Cosworth's are not going to be working with each other :lol::D:lol::D:lol:

z460

MR.BIG SHOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
f250
Cosworth's and TVR are using Fords coyote in the car

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Exactly. I think the key here is that it seems the new TVR is going to be using a modified version of the coyote to power its new car, and cosworth are getting involved, so it would make sense for ford to get in on the deal, and maybe get a few special engines for themselves.

???????????

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Would anyone think cosworth could be working with both parties? Each company could be proprietary or maybe work together in the future again like the transmission.

mbeale68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, base, perf pack, recaros, 5spd, guard
I think its possible that Cosworth could be working with both companies. I have worked for several aerospace suppliers that work with both Boeing and Airbus.

The work that Cosworth is doing for TVR seems to be in a relationship between TVR and Cosworth, rather than Ford and Cosworth (though I'm sure Ford is providing some technical support). Also the press releases mention that Cosworth is working on tunes and exhausts for the coyote for TVR, with power levels in the 450 to 500 hp range. The coyote can produce power in this range with existing heads and mods to the exhaust and intake.

Cosworth could also be working with someone else entirely. Chrysler? Roush, Hennessey, or some other tuner?

Who knows? (But its fun to try and guess.)

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The Automotive news article did indicate Cosworth would make parts for more than one manufacturer in the future.

Evilwill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I think the Cosworth/Ford engine will be in the new gt500. But Ford already has a suitable engine for the Mach 1. If they choose to use it that is.

http://www.stangtv.com/features/pri-coverage/pri-2015-inside-ford-racings-new-5-2-coyote-crate-engine-a52xs/
I am not sure if that is a great indication. They may not be 50 state legal emissions wise. I was told by Ford Performance that a GT350 Intake setup on a Coyote would not meet them, which is why there is no Ford Performance setup; just individual parts.

Evilwill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I am not sure if that is a great indication. They may not be 50 state legal emissions wise. I was told by Ford Performance that a GT350 Intake setup on a Coyote would not meet them, which is why there is no Ford Performance setup; just individual parts.
True but they still have time to get it legal by then.